BeautifulSunshine

Re: Barclays to stop over the counter cash withdrawals at Post Offices

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Oct 09 2019 4:25am

Thanked by: blythburgh, xxxraichxxx
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Wed Oct 09 2019 8:13am

No loss to me. I've never withdrawn cash over the counter at a Post Office.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Oct 09 2019 10:55am

pabenny wrote:
Wed Oct 09 2019 8:13am
No loss to me. I've never withdrawn cash over the counter at a Post Office.
If you only have access to a Post Office or a cash machine that charges then this could be bad news. They say they will off cashback at certain shops but will they be in the places where people use this facility? Smaller shops often struggle with change. I get 8 £5 notes out of the bank when I am passing during the week and when I go to the corner shop on a Saturday I exchange them for 2 £20 ones. I do this because the student who worked there at the weekend said she got so many complaints from customers at the change they got. They have been to an ATM machine and of course they give out mainly £20 notes. And if the owner withdraws some cash from the bank when he pays in then that will add to the amount he pays for his business account.
Thanked by: xxxraichxxx, expressman33
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Wed Oct 09 2019 12:17pm

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Oct 09 2019 10:55am
If you only have access to a Post Office or a cash machine that charges then this could be bad news. They say they will off cashback at certain shops but will they be in the places where people use this facility? Smaller shops often struggle with change ..
By that rationale, we'd still insist that farriers and feed merchants stayed open in every village because some people still got around on horses.

People expect cash to be free - but overlook the costs of handling it - businesses need to keep it in a safe place and may require security firms to carry it around, it needs to be counted. If it's stolen it's completely untraceable, and illicit transactions can remain hidden.

Hardly anyone *needs* to use cash. If anything, we should be helping those who struggle to make the transition away from cash rather than subsidising something that is outdated.

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Wed Oct 09 2019 8:10pm

Cash can be king if you are not good at managing your money. According to the experts paying over cold hard cash makes you think harder about your spending than using a card or phone to pay.

i use a debit card a lot because I am good at managing money, always have been. I remember leaving a ship once with cash in my pocket and in my bank account at the end of the trip. A shipmate left with nothing but a transistor radio. Admittedly they cost a helluva lot of money in those days and he was a happy man.
Thanked by: expressman33, kevinchess1

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Oct 09 2019 9:42pm

Good while it lasted.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Wed Oct 09 2019 10:53pm

pabenny wrote:
Wed Oct 09 2019 12:17pm

By that rationale, we'd still insist that farriers and feed merchants stayed open in every village because some people still got around on horses.

People expect cash to be free - but overlook the costs of handling it - businesses need to keep it in a safe place and may require security firms to carry it around, it needs to be counted. If it's stolen it's completely untraceable, and illicit transactions can remain hidden.

Hardly anyone *needs* to use cash. If anything, we should be helping those who struggle to make the transition away from cash rather than subsidising something that is outdated.
Workers used to to get paid in cash but now most are paid by bank transfer , so if you want cash and there are no local free to use cash machines ,you either have to pay to receive your wages or go a bank or travel to find a cash machine that doesn't incur charges .Also some older people don't trust cash machines or are scared to use them.
Also most current accounts pay a pittance in interest so the banks are making money from our cash
Thanked by: blythburgh

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri Oct 18 2019 6:10pm

Barclays urged by 124 MPs to reverse its decision to ditch Post Office cash withdrawals https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2019-1 ... m_content=

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Oct 19 2019 12:02pm

pabenny wrote:
Wed Oct 09 2019 12:17pm
blythburgh wrote:
Wed Oct 09 2019 10:55am
If you only have access to a Post Office or a cash machine that charges then this could be bad news. They say they will off cashback at certain shops but will they be in the places where people use this facility? Smaller shops often struggle with change ..

What about those with sight problems? Many older people have sight problems. I know one of 73 and 75. Both have macular degeneration, the husband has the wet eye version in one eye and glaucoma in the other. Needs very good light to be able to see. Wife has wet eye version in one eye and dry eye version in the other. They rely on their bank to get money. Others have only the post office to rely on.
Thanked by: expressman33
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler