Has Johnson got it wrong again?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Chadwick

Re: Has Johnson got it wrong again?

Post by Chadwick » Fri Oct 11 2019 2:28pm

Sarah wrote:
Fri Oct 11 2019 9:49am
Yeah, I get that... on the one hand, best not to feed him; but otherwise so much rubbish goes unchallenged!
You're forgetting that Boro Boy spent an afternoon in the parliament once, which makes him an expert on the EU. Probably the kind of expert that Govey didn't like, but let's not worry about that.

You're also forgetting that if any institution is in any way different from our parliament with it's representative first chamber and democratically elected second chamber [Ed - are you sure? Check that before it goes to print] is inherently undemocratic because our parliament is the only way that democracy can possibly exist.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Oct 11 2019 5:54pm

I'm shocked Chadwick, haven't you heard it's "nasty" to turn the tables on forum trolls? :o

The most disappointing thing is, even if you allegedly live in your own little world, it still has Boris Johnson and Donald Trump ruining it. What kind of an escape from reality is that? :thumbdown:

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Oct 11 2019 8:51pm

Sarah wrote:
Fri Oct 11 2019 5:54pm
I'm shocked Chadwick, haven't you heard it's "nasty" to turn the tables on forum trolls? :o
I expect I've twisted something somewhere.
Thanked by: blythburgh, im183152

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Oct 16 2019 12:36am

Sarah wrote:
Thu Oct 10 2019 9:43am
Yet not just my opinion. The 27% of the population that voted to leave clearly wasn't "enough" to carry it. The referendum terms should've required a super-majority, a majority of votes in each country, or other sensible safeguards for such an important decision; all of which were opposed on the basis that it was only an advisory referendum.
+1
Thanked by: Fuggsy
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Wed Oct 16 2019 10:30am

Sarah wrote:
Yet not just my opinion. The 27% of the population that voted to leave clearly wasn't "enough" to carry it. The referendum terms should've required a super-majority, a majority of votes in each country, or other sensible safeguards for such an important decision; all of which were opposed on the basis that it was only an advisory referendum.
what % of the population voted to remain ?

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Oct 16 2019 10:59am

expressman33 wrote:
Wed Oct 16 2019 10:30am
Sarah wrote:
A smidgen less than voted to leave. But since then the 16/17 year olds who wanted to remain and were so angry they could not vote (unlike the ones in the Scottish one) are now eligible to do so. And some of the pensioners (majority of whom voted leave) have sadly died.

We need a decisive vote on whatever is agreed with the EU. I am far convinced that the leave vote will be the loser this time. But at least I will know that the public have voted on something specific rather than a something unknown. And if leave wins then the remainers should accept it and shut up. I for one would. Though of course Farage thinking he had lost said the fight goes on.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Oct 16 2019 11:12am

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Oct 16 2019 10:59am
expressman33 wrote:
Wed Oct 16 2019 10:30am
Sarah wrote:
A smidgen less than voted to leave. But since then the 16/17 year olds who wanted to remain and were so angry they could not vote (unlike the ones in the Scottish one) are now eligible to do so. And some of the pensioners (majority of whom voted leave) have sadly died.

We need a decisive vote on whatever is agreed with the EU. I am far convinced that the leave vote will be the loser this time. But at least I will know that the public have voted on something specific rather than a something unknown. And if leave wins then the remainers should accept it and shut up. I for one would. Though of course Farage thinking he had lost said the fight goes on.
Where do you get your stats from. Where does it prove all dead people are leavers and all teenagers are remainers... Also the first time I have heard millions of people called a smidgen...!!!

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Oct 16 2019 11:18am

It has been proven that the majority (not all of course, I am not stupid you know) of pensioners were leavers and the majority of under 25's were remainers.

All the teenagers I know who were 16 or 17 at the time were remainers, they told me in no uncertain terms how upset with the result they were and how angry they were at being denied a vote. But oddly the only pensioners I know who have told me how they voted actually voted remain apart from one. But that could be because those pensioners I am close enough to too actually discuss Brexit agree with me on many things other than Brexit. Talk to like minded friends and you tend to get the same view on Brexit.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler