London Mayor too close a friend of extinction rebellion to do his job?

Media articles about money-saving topics
Boro Boy

Re: London Mayor too close a friend of extinction rebellion to do his job?

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Oct 14 2019 4:23pm

Chadwick wrote:
Mon Oct 14 2019 2:27pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Oct 14 2019 1:08pm
You should be aware that Labour Party advisors are suggesting policy of doing away with all private transport.
Your memory is appalling.
Do you not recall any of this conversation: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=87663&p=242072

For example, this bit:
pabenny wrote:
Mon Sep 16 2019 6:22am
You're wholly misreading it. Ed Miliband is on the advisory board to Common Wealth, the think tank who produced the report - not the advisory board to the Labour leadership. The second news report says the same thing.
They are still Labour Party advisors...

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Oct 14 2019 4:27pm

pabenny wrote:
Mon Oct 14 2019 2:54pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Oct 14 2019 1:08pm
I wonder if it has a democratic majority of car and taxi drivers in Central London...!?!
What's that got to do with it? Everyone in London has to breathe the air that is polluted - not just those causing the pollution. And everyone (living in Greater London) got the chance to vote for the present Mayor.
Using your/Brexit Remainers logic (?) in the first round preference vote many more Londoner's voted against Khan than voted for him :wave:

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Oct 14 2019 4:56pm

Not my logic.

You're still ducking the questions of
- why you oppose the London ULEZ - given that the ULEZ is to reduce pollution and you've said that you are in favour of policies to reduce pollution.
- and what environmental policies you would support.

And - as made clear in the other thread, Common Wealth are Labour-supporting but are not advisers to the Labour party.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Oct 14 2019 7:05pm

pabenny wrote:
Mon Oct 14 2019 4:56pm
Not my logic.

You're still ducking the questions of
- why you oppose the London ULEZ - given that the ULEZ is to reduce pollution and you've said that you are in favour of policies to reduce pollution.
- and what environmental policies you would support.

And - as made clear in the other thread, Common Wealth are Labour-supporting but are not advisers to the Labour party.
What part of Carrot & Stick do you not understand...!?! :wtf:

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Mon Oct 14 2019 11:30pm

All day today extinction rebellion blocked the road junction at Bank of England. This junction as a trial between January and March this year was tested with only bus, taxi and bicycle transport. it was decided to keep this arrangement as a permanent measure between 7am and 7pm each day and if you attempted to cross this area in your car/lorry between these times you get a hefty fine.

So gormless extinction rebellion decided to stop the only traffic that can legally cross here - public transport! Thank g_d they are not a political party as they have no idea about anything except feeling self righteous, patronising people who disagree with them and of course trying to stop other people carrying out their daily lives...!

Typical! :crazy:

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue Oct 15 2019 7:15am

Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Oct 14 2019 7:05pm
What part of Carrot & Stick do you not understand...!?! :wtf:
The part I don't understand is what specific 'carrot-y' policies you would actually support.

What carroty policy would discourage people from driving in cities with the most polluting cars?
What carroty policy would have reduced plastic carrier bag use in the way that a sticky 5p charge has done?

You've not told us of one environmental policy that you would support.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Tue Oct 15 2019 11:12am

Here's a carrot "Extinction Rebellion PAYING protestors £200,000 to cause chaos and grind London to a halt"
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11902 ... nge-latest

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -week.html

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue Oct 15 2019 2:10pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Mon Oct 14 2019 4:22pm
I think you are deliberately misreading what I have said. So for you I will spell it out: Yes clean up the Earth that is a positive thing and something we can all do. No we can't stop the tilt of the earth and in comparison the human effect taken out will be minimal when balanced against the financial cost.
Not deliberate. Trying to understand your point, being as you won't explain it clearly yourself.

For example, let me check I understand this correctly: the human effect - which is currently melting the ice caps, killing the corals and reversing the natural shift towards a colder climate - will have a minimal impact on our lives compared to the financial cost of doing something about it? Is that right?

But it is worth it (financially?) to clean up the earth? I think that's clear above. I think you've previously mentioned cleaning to include removing plastic from the ocean (as far as is reasonably possible). Would this cleaning also include cleaning other pollutants from our water supplies or cleaning the air we breathe?

I'm not sure why anyone would want to affect the tilt of the earth, let alone how you'd go about doing it. Can I safely assume that was just hyperbole and ignore that bit?

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue Oct 15 2019 10:05pm

So now extinction rebellion are targeting electric mass transport so we will all be forced into fossil fuelled personal transport! Ah so perhaps its all a trick!!!!! :o

See: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/e ... spartanntp

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Oct 16 2019 3:11am

If protesters are planning to occupy stations and use PAYG to pass inside the ticket barriers, they could have an expensive surprise after they leave:
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and ... rney-times