re fake news

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

re fake news

Post by blythburgh » Fri Oct 25 2019 11:17am

A new thread with a brexit thread quote:
macliam wrote:
Thu Oct 24 2019 2:58pm
Herein lies the problem with the whole Brexit issue - people with access to the internet still believe the absolute tosh delivered by some mendacious individuals, rather than checking for themselves - and actually repost the garbage to infect others. Multiply that by the number who believe it and don't have the ability to check the facts and the number grows.

Without doubt there are those who have objections to the EU due to political or philosophical reasons - and those who see opportunities to profit from the chaos of Brexit - but there are others who still think leaving the EU will "cure" issues which have nothing to do with membership, plus generations poisoned by a hostile UK press and who are happy to believe that the EU is some kind of monster.

When it is pointed out to them that nobody else believes the tosh published in the UK, the suggestion is that these "foreigners" don't know or care about the truth - because, of course, these foreigners are deaf, or blind, or stupid......

Sad.
Yes there is a lot of tosh on the net about all sorts of stuff and you can find lots to support the tosh, all originating from original post. Met up with sister in law (and husband) and cousins in law for lunch the other week. SinL said she does not have the flu jab because her (fount of all wisdom) daughter says they put all sorts of horrid poisonous stuff in the vaccine. I said that was fake news but she said her daughter goes to "reputable" websites. I checked on the net later and was horrified at the lies these sites were peddling which get spread on social media.

Is her daughter really a fount of all wisdom? Well she says neither she nor Mum needs a virus checker as the free Microsoft windows one is all she needs. Ummm we will still buy Norton at the cheap late summer price off Amazon. SinL also said her computer was broken and daughter reckons not worth repairing as so old. Broken or a virus? I did not ask lol
Thanked by: macliam
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Re: re fake news

Post by macliam » Fri Oct 25 2019 2:03pm

Finding the "truth" online is rarely easy..... finding a distortion is simple.

The truth is often complicated - so if a thing seems simple, be very, very careful........
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

xrppzi

Post by xrppzi » Fri Oct 25 2019 2:18pm

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Oct 25 2019 11:17am
Is her daughter really a fount of all wisdom? Well she says neither she nor Mum needs a virus checker as the free Microsoft windows one is all she needs. Ummm we will still buy Norton at the cheap late summer price off Amazon. SinL also said her computer was broken and daughter reckons not worth repairing as so old. Broken or a virus? I did not ask lol
Not necessarily the correct conclusion. We have used the Microsoft windows virus checker for years. It is updated daily and does a good job. Shouldn't really say as it's asking for trouble, but we've have not had an issue since we started using it. Used both Mcaffee and Norton for a time before and had problems with both.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Fuggsy

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Oct 26 2019 10:11am

We had problems with free virus checkers which is why we buy Norton later in the year when the price has dropped.

Give the niece in law her credit, she knows exactly what she can eat without adding an ounce of weight to her skeletal body. OK not skeletal most of the time but always well below what Doctors consider to be a healthy weight.

Got her Mum worrying about her weight as well. She was slightly chubby but now a "healthy" weight, and when her husband retired she said to us "He is getting a bit of a stomach so we will have to sort that out". He had always been one of those slim people who can eat anything without putting on weight but now he cycles several miles a day and that barely visible tum has disappeared. He cycles on country roads every day, even on ones when it is so windy the police say do not go out unless you have to due to risk of falling trees.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sat Oct 26 2019 6:19pm

I use Windows.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]