Breakdown Insurance

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Breakdown Insurance

Post by macliam » Mon Oct 28 2019 7:01pm

For many years I have used AutoAid to cover breakdown issues. In the past, the advantage was that it covered not just myself, but SWMBO as well, in any vehicle we are legally driving. This was really good when we had two cars - and being insurance-based, it was good value too - my cover over the last year was £43.31. There was no NCB, but it was possible to "ping-pong" the lead between SWMBO and myself to gain cashback applicable to a new policy. :thumbup:

We've probably used it 2 or 3 times.... certainly once when I returned to find my car with a completely flat tyre (I couldn't even get a jack under it) and once when I went away for a few days and found my battery dead on my return - but the best thing was that I just had to report the issue to them, not try to find someone to "fix" it..... ;)

A while back, I noted that AutoAid had changed owners, but it made no immediate change to the cover or cost, so no big deal. But now I have had the renewal quote through - and it has increased to £59.99, which is a heck of an increase in percentage terms! What's worse, nobody now seems to offer cashback - so it's pay the £60 (all but) or look elsewhere :(

After a brief look, there doesn't seem to be an alternative that offers the same cover for less (clever new owners.... they did their research, it seems...) There is one company that seems to offer a similar deal.... but then it gets some flack for service and actual cover. :crazy:

Does anyone else use AutoAid ..... or who has faced the same issue and found an alternate?
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Re: Breakdown Insurance

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Oct 28 2019 7:22pm

How much do you pay for Breakdown Ins, Worldwide Annual Family Travel Ins & Mobile phone insurance combined? Nationwide offer this as part of their packaged Bank account for £13pm There are probably cheaper out there. It might be worth considering

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Oct 28 2019 8:19pm

William Joseph1 wrote:
Mon Oct 28 2019 7:22pm
How much do you pay for Breakdown Ins, Worldwide Annual Family Travel Ins & Mobile phone insurance combined? Nationwide offer this as part of their packaged Bank account for £13pm There are probably cheaper out there. It might be worth considering
Thanks, but £13pm is £156 a year..... and you used to get 3% interest on the first £2,500, so that was £75 you could offset, making it £81..... so worth a look. BUT as of November 1 they are withdrawing this interest payment :( So in my case, even after paying my £60 breakdown insurance, I'd be paying £94 more.

- I don't currently have Mobile phone insurance - but we use PAYG and the handsets cost about £120 each, so even if I needed it, the excesses would limit its usefulness.

- The Travel insurance restrictions mean it would of limited use to me (no cover for existing conditions, no cover over 31 days, etc.) and it's only good until you're 69.

- The fee-free card use abroad would be useful, but I already have a Metro bank account and a Halifax Clarity card to cover that.

So, all in all, useful for some, maybe - but not for me.
Thanked by: Richard Frost, blythburgh

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue Oct 29 2019 7:01am

macliam wrote:
Mon Oct 28 2019 7:01pm
After a brief look, there doesn't seem to be an alternative that offers the same cover for less (clever new owners.... they did their research, it seems...) There is one company that seems to offer a similar deal.... but then it gets some flack for service and actual cover. :crazy:
The offer, even with an increased price is the best around.

Sometimes you pay up, sometimes you pay more, sometimes you pay a little extra as it is in your best interest to do so.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue Oct 29 2019 7:59am

HUKD has a post with RAC at 50% off AND mentions 33% TCB (!)
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/rac-br ... ff-3316039

Emergency Assist?

Do you motor insurers offer breakdown cover as an add-on?
Thanked by: blythburgh, macliam

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Oct 29 2019 8:02am

I can see macliam's reasons for not using Nationwide et al. Years ago a friend was signed up to pay for banking by Lloyds. I tried to argue with him that none of the benefits were of any use to him. His argument was he gets a lift to work and the free AA membership might come in useful. He ignored my point that the driver would have breakdown cover himself. Just repeated how useful free AA membership was. No minimum wage back then but he was certainly would have been on it if it was in force then.

Another PPI scandal IMHO
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Oct 29 2019 10:13am

blythburgh wrote:
Tue Oct 29 2019 8:02am
I can see macliam's reasons for not using Nationwide et al. Years ago a friend was signed up to pay for banking by Lloyds. I tried to argue with him that none of the benefits were of any use to him. His argument was he gets a lift to work and the free AA membership might come in useful. He ignored my point that the driver would have breakdown cover himself. Just repeated how useful free AA membership was. No minimum wage back then but he was certainly would have been on it if it was in force then.

Another PPI scandal IMHO
I would have looked more seriously if the interest was not being withdrawn, as it would effectively have cost only £15 more than AutoAid and there might have been some residual benefit. But, in effect, the price is being increased by £75. :(

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Oct 29 2019 10:23am

pabenny wrote:
Tue Oct 29 2019 7:59am
HUKD has a post with RAC at 50% off AND mentions 33% TCB (!)
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/rac-br ... ff-3316039
£142.50 pa at a quick look....... :shock:
pabenny wrote:
Tue Oct 29 2019 7:59am
Emergency Assist?

Do you motor insurers offer breakdown cover as an add-on?
Yes, but insurance for this year has just been paid...... :( ........ and they use the RAC :|