And they are off...! General Election 2019

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Richard Frost

Re: And they are off...! General Election 2019

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Nov 02 2019 5:11pm

Election 2019: Labour pledges new-build homes 'zero carbon' by 2022

Story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50273350
Thanked by: im183152, blythburgh

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Nov 02 2019 5:12pm

General election 2019: Boris Johnson rejects pact with Nigel Farage

Story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50264395

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politi ... -pact-call
Thanked by: im183152, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Nov 03 2019 9:55am

What I cannot understand is why the commentators keep saying Labour voters who are pro brexit who feel they cannot vote for the Tories will feel they can vote for Brexit Party

Yes, do not vote for a right wing party led by an ex public schoolboy but vote for a harder right wing party led by an ex public schoolboy who was in a banker in the widest use of that word and who has chosen a banker to be the PPC in my constituency. And no doubt many other seats will have bankers/ex public school people standing for the Brexit Party
Thanked by: Richard Frost, im183152
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Nov 03 2019 10:56am

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Nov 01 2019 9:39pm
This thread is descending to the level of too many social media posts about MP's
It's not really surprising that the usual culprits will take the opportunity to smear the opposition with untruths, half-truths and innuendo, rather than attempt to convince the reader with facts. In this they just follow their political masters......

The tragedy will be if this election becomes purely another Brexit vote, indeed, the undoubted influence that Brexit will have is already a tragedy. An election is supposed to be an indicator of the direction of travel for the country over the next 5 years - not another binary choice. The government understand this - which is why there have been a raft of unlikely promises made over the last few days..... Oddly, these promises seem to be as uncosted and/or unfunded as anything the opposition has promised .... but it seems that the cynical view is that a promise of jam tomorrow will win the day, after which there is plenty of time to renege. :roll:

Another tragedy of Brexit is to unravel the status quo. Anyone (and there are many...) who say "I have voted X all my life," but that they will now vote for a party diametrically opposed, suggests that, perhaps, they never actually understood the party they supported.... in which case, the promise of jam tomorrow may well work. :(
Thanked by: im183152, Boro Boy, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Nov 03 2019 1:22pm

macliam wrote:
Sun Nov 03 2019 10:56am
blythburgh wrote:
Fri Nov 01 2019 9:39pm
This thread is descending to the level of too many social media posts about MP's
It's not really surprising that the usual culprits will take the opportunity to smear the opposition with untruths, half-truths and innuendo, rather than attempt to convince the reader with facts. In this they just follow their political masters......

The tragedy will be if this election becomes purely another Brexit vote, indeed, the undoubted influence that Brexit will have is already a tragedy. An election is supposed to be an indicator of the direction of travel for the country over the next 5 years - not another binary choice. The government understand this - which is why there have been a raft of unlikely promises made over the last few days..... Oddly, these promises seem to be as uncosted and/or unfunded as anything the opposition has promised .... but it seems that the cynical view is that a promise of jam tomorrow will win the day, after which there is plenty of time to renege. :roll:

Another tragedy of Brexit is to unravel the status quo. Anyone (and there are many...) who say "I have voted X all my life," but that they will now vote for a party diametrically opposed, suggests that, perhaps, they never actually understood the party they supported.... in which case, the promise of jam tomorrow may well work. :(
I must admit I am concerned about the expensive promises coming from all parties at the moment as they play up to their voter bases, some policy announcements are 180 degrees from their present direction, even when it was originally introduced by their own party but most are voiced with the main effort of buying votes which is a bit despicable. What happened to leadership? However on that basis the Liberal Un-democrats would win, at least they stuck to their guns even if it does mean they had sold out democracy for "more democracy" or should I say get it right or else, democracy!?!

This is going to be an interesting campaign and we can only all hope that the expensive promises are exposed for what they are truly worth and picked to pieces if necessary to highlight the reasoning behind them.
Thanked by: blythburgh

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sun Nov 03 2019 2:53pm

They all make promises in order to win votes . It's what really happens if they get elected that matters. I wish I hadn't smashed my crystal ball !
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Nov 03 2019 4:03pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Nov 01 2019 8:03pm
Chadwick wrote:
Fri Nov 01 2019 7:59pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Nov 01 2019 9:21am

Don't know how many bookies will give you any winnings on that unless the Labour Party renames the Chaos Party! ;)
Just think how lucky we are to have avoided chaos with Ed Milliband!
Does he know how to eat a sandwich now? :think:
Is that all we ask of our leaders? That they eat takeaway food in an acceptable manner? I seem to recall Theresa May struggling with some chips - presumably that was the cause of her downfall.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Kelantan

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Nov 03 2019 7:13pm

Chadwick wrote:
Sun Nov 03 2019 4:03pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Nov 01 2019 8:03pm
Chadwick wrote:
Fri Nov 01 2019 7:59pm

Just think how lucky we are to have avoided chaos with Ed Milliband!
Does he know how to eat a sandwich now? :think:
Is that all we ask of our leaders? That they eat takeaway food in an acceptable manner? I seem to recall Theresa May struggling with some chips - presumably that was the cause of her downfall.
Yeap! well she's had her chips anyway!!! ;)

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Nov 04 2019 9:02am

macliam wrote:
Sun Nov 03 2019 10:56am
A friend has told me more than once that his parents were rather racist but worked to for the local Labour Party.

They did not approve of non white people coming to the country. He pointed out they were friends with a non white couple. "Ah but they are different" was their reply.

A woman on the TV said she votes Labour "well I have done all my life because my parents did".

I was taught in my Sociology class about deference voters, I have actually known such ones. Thankfully they are getting less and less. But I am unhappy that a suitable candidate is sneered at for coming from a Public School background. I want the best person for the job. Not a man or a woman or a public or a state school educated person but the best person.
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Nov 04 2019 9:32am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Nov 04 2019 9:02am
I am unhappy that a suitable candidate is sneered at for coming from a Public School background. I want the best person for the job. Not a man or a woman or a public or a state school educated person but the best person.
The problem is that often all you know about the candidate is their background and their manifesto.
The manifestos are all the same ('the best for local people, schools, hospitals, public transport and revitalising the high street'). Occasionally you get someone who opposes/supports the new bypass/industrial estate/house building, but then you have to judge whether they are a) capable and b) in a position to influence the outcome. Which means you have to look at their previous experience and background.

So we always end up picking 'someone like me', except for a few cases where there is standout issue/opinion which overrides all other concerns.
Thanked by: pabenny, Kelantan, blythburgh