Buying on ebay....

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

Buying on ebay....

Post by macliam » Sat Nov 02 2019 2:09pm

I've just has a couple of "interesting" experiences on ebay.

Last year I bought a Xiaomi Band 3 to monitor heartrate, etc. It's good, but the screen is almost impossible to read in daylight and is monochrome. The replacement, the Band 4 has a colour amoled screen and several improvements....

So purchase 1 was a Band 4, listed as located in the UK - and a global version, as that has a slightly bigger battery and no useless China-only apps. I was given an RM tracking number...... but it didn't work. So I contacted the seller and began to smell a rat.... obviously the item was being sourced in China, transported to the UK and posted on - but, in the end, it turned up. Unfortunately, it was a fake (and a fairly poor one). Lots of emails, but a complete refund without ebay being involved.

Purchase2 was the same, but supposedly located in Ireland and at more-or-less the going rate. I quickly got an RM tracking number, but, guess what, it didn't work...... and why would an item from Ireland be coming by RM? Long story short, it finally arrived (almost certainly via a similar route as the other) and it IS a Band 4, but the Chinese version! This works OK, but isn't what I ordered. Lots of emails and now the seller has offered a partial refund without the need to send it back - this makes the price good and the item does what I need, so win, win.

So, now we have the situation where both issues have been solved without ebay being involved ..... but I have to decide what to do about the way forward...... Do I try reporting them to ebay, even though the issues are solved? Do I give negative feedback at the risk that they retaliate? Or do I just forget it?

The problem is, I don't actually trust ebay to do anything about the situation..... so it feels like I'd just be risking my own rep for no reason. Thoughts??
Thanked by: Kelantan, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pakefield

Re: Buying on ebay....

Post by pakefield » Sat Nov 02 2019 3:10pm

I took a photo and offered the item for sale on ebay and sold it. Buyer split it into two buys but used my photo. I complained to ebay who said it was not the same photo. Odd how their arm was in the same position as my arm, wearing identical clothing, with a table the same colour as mine and they have identically coloured paint on their wall.

So I agree ebay will do bu**er all about it but your reputation is priceless
Thanked by: macliam

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sat Nov 02 2019 3:45pm

Sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers - it's positive or nothing. You don't need to fear retaliation. Don't forget that the detailed seller ratings also offer (limited) opportunity for more nuanced feedback

Location spoofing is common. eBay understandably dislike it and say they take action against it.
Thanked by: macliam, blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Sat Nov 02 2019 3:46pm

pakefield wrote:
Sat Nov 02 2019 3:10pm
I took a photo and offered the item for sale on ebay and sold it. Buyer split it into two buys but used my photo.
Sorry Mr Pakefield - I would probably have done the same if I was reselling something.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sat Nov 02 2019 11:10pm

Don't stress over it. Get on with your life.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Nov 04 2019 12:08pm

OK, an update on this.

Case 1 - full refund without the need to return the item. No involvement by ebay, further action still undecided.

Case 2 - more wriggling by seller, but in the end an £8 partial refund (received today) makes the Band 4 cheaper than I could source elsewhere. No involvement by ebay, further action still undecided.

In the end I've come out ahead this time - a Band 4 at a good price and a spare strap from the fake.
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

cocobay71

Post by cocobay71 » Mon Nov 04 2019 6:48pm

pakefield wrote:
Sat Nov 02 2019 3:10pm
I took a photo and offered the item for sale on ebay and sold it. Buyer split it into two buys but used my photo. I complained to ebay who said it was not the same photo. Odd how their arm was in the same position as my arm, wearing identical clothing, with a table the same colour as mine and they have identically coloured paint on their wall.

So I agree ebay will do bu**er all about it but your reputation is priceless
Watermark your ebay pics!
Thanked by: blythburgh