And they are off...! General Election 2019

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
macliam

Re: And they are off...! General Election 2019

Post by macliam » Wed Nov 13 2019 1:22pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Nov 13 2019 12:56pm
macliam wrote:
Wed Nov 13 2019 12:46pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Nov 13 2019 12:21pm
Labour Party's story telling time: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... my4gizbtgy
"fiscal tightening" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - the Torygraph can't even accept the term "austerity"

Denial was always the policy of the right - exaggerate and deny. Where';s their explanation for the huge increase in food-bank usage? https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... arity-says
Not so much a Torygraph but a middle-of-the-roadgraph: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... newspapers So I guess you will react the way you do because they are not saying what you want to hear so quote a left wing viewpoint newspaper...! :wave:
:clap: Does the expression "hoist by your own petard" mean anything to you? Do you know how to read statistics or do the headlines confuse you?

Asking a population that sits slightly right of centre to categorize the political stance of newspapers is hardly the firmest base for a study - but even so, the results don't support you.

The results you publish show 73% see the Torygraph as being right-wing, with 21% seeing it as "very right wing". Hardly "middle of the road", unless you are Oswald Mosley :lol: :lol: :lol:

By comparison (a comparison which says more about you than me), The Guardian, which you classify as "left wing" was considered to be so by 71% and "very left wing" by just 14%

As I said, exaggerate and deny, eh? :wave:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Nov 13 2019 1:36pm

macliam wrote:
Wed Nov 13 2019 1:22pm
Boro Boy wrote:
macliam wrote:
Wed Nov 13 2019 12:46pm

"fiscal tightening" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - the Torygraph can't even accept the term "austerity"

Denial was always the policy of the right - exaggerate and deny. Where';s their explanation for the huge increase in food-bank usage? https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... arity-says
Not so much a Torygraph but a middle-of-the-roadgraph: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... newspapers So I guess you will react the way you do because they are not saying what you want to hear so quote a left wing viewpoint newspaper...! :wave:
:clap: Does the expression "hoist by your own petard" mean anything to you? Do you know how to read statistics or do the headlines confuse you?

Asking a population that sits slightly right of centre to categorize the political stance of newspapers is hardly the firmest base for a study - but even so, the results don't support you.

The results you publish show 73% see the Torygraph as being right-wing, with 21% seeing it as "very right wing". Hardly "middle of the road", unless you are Oswald Mosley :lol: :lol: :lol:

By comparison (a comparison which says more about you than me), The Guardian, which you classify as "left wing" was considered to be so by 71% and "very left wing" by just 14%

Ah I see when the statistics don't support your argument https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... newspapers you say the people they took the details off was a wrong sample...! :wave:

Looks like a balanced sample base: https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/c ... raCB_W.pdf

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Nov 13 2019 1:44pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Nov 13 2019 1:36pm
macliam wrote:
Boro Boy wrote:

Ah I see when the statistics don't support your argument https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... newspapers you say the people they took the details off was a wrong sample...! :wave:
Do keep up! :lol: - Obviously numbers confuse you..... I suggested that the sample might be a factor, but even so the statistics ABSOLUTELY confirm what I said.... because I quoted them!!
However, just keep concentrating on this dead-end and ignore the massive increase in the use of food banks under Tory governments. Exaggerate and deny, eh? :wave:

LATE ADDITION: Interestingly, you seem to have managed to slip an addition into your post after my reply...... but the figures in the report you quote show the statistical smoothing of the sample to remove INTERNAL variation, not to counter any overall bias in the sample. If you asked 100 chickens if they thought Foxes were bad, you might get a slight variance in the responses they give...... but it doesn't remove the issue that the sample is likely to vote one particular way.....

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Wed Nov 13 2019 3:16pm

Aside from the question of how right wing the Daily Telegraph is, the linked article, headed "Labour's five biggest lies..." is not entirely accurate.

Take No4 "Billionaires only ever get rich through ill-gotten gains".
That links to an article where Corbyn is reported saying "We're going after the tax dodgers. We’re going after the dodgy landlords. We’re going after the bad bosses. We’re going after the big polluters." That's not quite the same as the headline.

Or No3 "Austerity has caused 120,000 deaths". The figure comes from a study by some independent academics, and it's true that others have challenged the methodology. Calling this a "lie" is twisting the facts somewhat.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Wed Nov 13 2019 11:07pm

macliam wrote:
Mon Nov 04 2019 12:38pm
Here's an interesting site https://tactical.vote/all

It's not likely to be welcome to certain people, but there are some interesting numbers there - I thought the Tories were unbeatable in my own constituency - but they're not.......

I've never been comfortable with tactical voting - but if it's the lesser of two evils, I may just give it a go.
another interesting site https://www.politax.com/politax/how-bre ... nstituency
Thanked by: stockportcounty

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Nov 13 2019 11:55pm

macliam wrote:
Wed Nov 13 2019 1:44pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Nov 13 2019 1:36pm
macliam wrote:

Do keep up! :lol: - Obviously numbers confuse you..... I suggested that the sample might be a factor, but even so the statistics ABSOLUTELY confirm what I said.... because I quoted them!!
However, just keep concentrating on this dead-end and ignore the massive increase in the use of food banks under Tory governments. Exaggerate and deny, eh? :wave:

LATE ADDITION: Interestingly, you seem to have managed to slip an addition into your post after my reply...... but the figures in the report you quote show the statistical smoothing of the sample to remove INTERNAL variation, not to counter any overall bias in the sample. If you asked 100 chickens if they thought Foxes were bad, you might get a slight variance in the responses they give...... but it doesn't remove the issue that the sample is likely to vote one particular way.....
Where? There would be an auto notification if I had done what you say! Is this another of your inaccuracies...? :wave:

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Nov 14 2019 1:15am

Simple, since I used the quote process, the whole pot would have been copied into my reply, but it was not. Once I saw the link that you appended, I amended my post to address it.

I note that, as usual, you don't actually contest what I said - so the inaccuracy seems to be your suggestion that the Torygraph as a "middle of the road" paper, when a higher proportion of your chosen sample consider it to be more right wing than consider the Guardian to be left wing. You also seem to have overlooked pabenny's dismissal of the original article ..... but that seems par for the course with you.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Nov 14 2019 1:37am

macliam wrote:
Thu Nov 14 2019 1:15am
Simple, since I used the quote process, the whole pot would have been copied into my reply, but it was not. Once I saw the link that you appended, I amended my post to address it.

I note that, as usual, you don't actually contest what I said - so the inaccuracy seems to be your suggestion that the Torygraph as a "middle of the road" paper, when a higher proportion of your chosen sample consider it to be more right wing than consider the Guardian to be left wing. You also seem to have overlooked pabenny's dismissal of the original article ..... but that seems par for the course with you.
I'm sure you'd find something to criticise whatever anybody said. But I would be interested in you answering again how you think I altered an entry (after you made an entry) without the system saying that an edit had occurred...? :wtf:

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Nov 14 2019 1:55am

Boro Boy wrote:
Thu Nov 14 2019 1:37am
I'm sure you'd find something to criticise whatever anybody said. But I would be interested in you answering again how you think I altered an entry (after you made an entry) without the system saying that an edit had occurred...? :wtf:
Not as interested as I'd be in you answering any of the points others make about your inaccurate posts!

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Nov 14 2019 2:02am

However, I just answered your question without copying it into my answer. I then used the quote process and copied your post. I then edited my answer and pasted your post into it - and then I edited the text of your post to leave only the last question.

Can you see any sign that I amended my post? No, because you can edit a post without leaving any sign, if you do it within the first few minutes. Maybe Richard can tell you how long that period is........

Next.