Should looted treasures be given back?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Should looted treasures be given back?

Post by blythburgh » Thu Nov 14 2019 11:26am

When 'im indoors finds out about this he will be vocal in his demands that the modern day Mercians give us back our treasures

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news ... -1-6373614
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Re: Should looted treasures be given back?

Post by macliam » Thu Nov 14 2019 1:20pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Nov 14 2019 11:26am
When 'im indoors finds out about this he will be vocal in his demands that the modern day Mercians give us back our treasures

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news ... -1-6373614
Well, that idea would certainly free up a lot of space for redevelopment in Bloomsbury!!

I'm not sure Liz would be too happy either...... think of all the holes in her various crowns - blood diamonds are nothing new. :shifty:
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Nov 15 2019 11:19am

But this is East Anglian treasure that was looted and is now in Mercia or whatever they call it these days
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Nov 15 2019 11:33am

... and where did the Angles (or Saxons or Jutes) get them (or the materials to make them)?

Conquest and looting was the way of life, if you start there, then you open the door to everyone demanding the return o their items - all Roman artifacts back to Italy, etc.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Nov 15 2019 2:34pm

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Nov 15 2019 11:19am
But this is East Anglian treasure that was looted and is now in Mercia or whatever they call it these days
You should pop down to the British Museum sometime. It's stuffed full of treasures from foreign parts.

xxxraichxxx

Post by xxxraichxxx » Fri Nov 15 2019 4:32pm

Finders keepers! I was reading an article yesterday about 2 guys that went hunting with their metal detector & found a large number of old coins (Possibly roman?) Ive searched for ten mins and cant find the article now!

They reported it to 'the crown' and the coins are now up for auction but the 2 guys that found them will receive a share of the profit.

IMO they should receive all the profit, or at least 90% :wtf:

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Nov 15 2019 5:04pm

xxxraichxxx wrote:
Fri Nov 15 2019 4:32pm
Finders keepers! I was reading an article yesterday about 2 guys that went hunting with their metal detector & found a large number of old coins (Possibly roman?) Ive searched for ten mins and cant find the article now!

They reported it to 'the crown' and the coins are now up for auction but the 2 guys that found them will receive a share of the profit.

Finders keepers has no basis in UK law, it often means "theft"....

It's one of the joys of being a Crown subject - don't you realise that everything belongs to the Crown? Any discovered valuables that have no owner revert... see Treasure trove - so they're "lucky" even to get a share!

The Crown also owns most of the foreshore (below high water mark) and the seabed out to 22 miles, as they're quick to tell you ( See Here ).... so don't be taking any seashells home either!!

Revolution now?!!

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri Nov 15 2019 6:07pm

xxxraichxxx wrote:
Fri Nov 15 2019 4:32pm

was it this? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... n-somerset