Pushing towards getting an even keel....

Discussion of the proposed Cashback Investment Club

Moderator: CIC officers

garindan

Pushing towards getting an even keel....

Post by garindan » Thu Nov 07 2019 9:43am

With the latest sale (of Medica) and the profit generated from that share our sold shares have now moved out of the red and back into the black. The returns now exceed the losses incurred by the wiped out value of the Carillion shares we had (that was over £1100). This is good news!

We are still around £350 down overall because of a couple of our current shares but I do hope that finally sorting out BREXIT will give a number of them a significant boost, should we get that result out of the forthcoming election.

Either way we now have some more funds to invest, hopefully wisely, and enable us to push forward towards getting back on an even keel so we can look to make some money again! :thumbup:
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

parchedpeas

Re: Pushing towards getting an even keel....

Post by parchedpeas » Thu Nov 07 2019 11:20am

It's been a decent six months. I like the new system too.
Thanked by: garindan, Beachboy

garindan

Post by garindan » Thu Nov 07 2019 12:48pm

parchedpeas wrote:
Thu Nov 07 2019 11:20am
I like the new system too.
I think the concept works. It's the practice that members need to adopt, making a point of checking their views on a share at least once a week to be honest. Just after Richard's how did our shares perform this week message or if the secretary sends out reminders/posts the updated share chart to each thread - these are good nudges to action :thumbup:

I think if we start making some money again, at least on paper, then it would certainly help!

Beachboy

Post by Beachboy » Thu Nov 14 2019 8:32pm

Yes things are looking up and very positive. :thumbup:

I also like the new system and I think it definitely keeps interest more constant and frequent.

One possible area that might be worth reviweing is the number of voting members an how decisions are made. This is because we seem to have two members (I am assuming it is the same two members) that never seem to take part in any polls. This is obviously their right but does not help when we need half to support a motion for it to be passed.

The total membership stands at 15 and thus needs 8 members to support a proposal, however in reality there appears to be only a maximum of 13 active members (and sometimes even less). I am basing this on the fact that on the current three share monitoring polls which have been around for months (so no one can blame a lack of time) two have 13 votes and one 11 votes. I would have thought all members would have had a view whether they want to hold, sell or buy the share but apparently this is not the case and there might be good reason(s) no obvious to me why not.

Therefore is it worth giving 'non-active' members the option to opt out of voting in polls temporarily for the period of their choice (or be discounted after a period of time if they remain totally inactive) and thus aiding the chances slightly of getting conclusive poll results.

For example if the two apparent non-active members were to officially opt-out that would make the total votinng membership 13 (down from 15) and thus a majority would then be 7 members and not 8.

Non-active members could opt backin or be reactivated again on simple request.

:?:

garindan

Post by garindan » Sat Nov 16 2019 10:30pm

Beachboy wrote:
Thu Nov 14 2019 8:32pm
One possible area that might be worth reviweing is the number of voting members an how decisions are made. This is because we seem to have two members (I am assuming it is the same two members) that never seem to take part in any polls. This is obviously their right but does not help when we need half to support a motion for it to be passed.

The total membership stands at 15 and thus needs 8 members to support a proposal, however in reality there appears to be only a maximum of 13 active members (and sometimes even less). I am basing this on the fact that on the current three share monitoring polls which have been around for months (so no one can blame a lack of time) two have 13 votes and one 11 votes. I would have thought all members would have had a view whether they want to hold, sell or buy the share but apparently this is not the case and there might be good reason(s) no obvious to me why not.

Therefore is it worth giving 'non-active' members the option to opt out of voting in polls temporarily for the period of their choice (or be discounted after a period of time if they remain totally inactive) and thus aiding the chances slightly of getting conclusive poll results.

For example if the two apparent non-active members were to officially opt-out that would make the total votinng membership 13 (down from 15) and thus a majority would then be 7 members and not 8.

Non-active members could opt backin or be reactivated again on simple request.

:?:
I think this is all fair comment. I do think we need to consider how to handle matters when members don't vote for a while. I am conscious that one particular member of our club doesn't seem to have logged on to imutual since August, for example. This in itself probably shows something out of the ordinary may have occurred and I'm not entirely sure how we deal with such cases as that. I wouldn't want us to push members out of the club, as I can't see how that helps, especially as temporary disappearance cannot be helped on occasion. However, this one example does show we have a need to review the mechanics behind things to ensure the club can go about its business without being hindered.

I should also add that we do have another member leaving us this month for a perfectly understandable reason. I'll leave it up to them to decide if they want to post or not. Therefore we'll have one less voter going forward. We also have a number of other imutual members that have deposited into the club but have not completed the process by not sending in The Share Centre membership forms.

I'm going to have to leave suggesting any direct changes until after Christmas but I think we should have another discussion on what is working OK and what needs changing. I have a few ideas and think a couple of other little changes will make the club workings even better. I'd love a few past members to consider rejoining the fold as well as encouraging some new members. 15 members would be a good number to have and more would be even better.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sun Nov 17 2019 1:38am

Good to see we have put the past behind us.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]