And they are off...! General Election 2019

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Re: And they are off...! General Election 2019

Post by blythburgh » Sat Dec 14 2019 7:39am

Boro Boy go boil your unpleasant head
Thanked by: Kelantan
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Dec 14 2019 7:50am

And for you information Boro Boy the remain supporting parties got over 50% of the vote, Brexit supporting parties got less than 50% although they won the election.

I just hope those in work and voted "to get Brexit done" will not find their jobs are affected in either lose of rights at work or even worse lose their jobs. And if the ERG group get there way that is what will happen.

And hopefully we can put the "get Brexit done" LIE to bed. It will take years to sort things out. The slogan was like Churchill saying "we won the Battle of Britain in the skies so we have won the war". Yes we beat the Nazi's in the air in 1941 but we did not beat them on the land until 1945
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sat Dec 14 2019 10:00am

Boro Boy wrote:
Fri Dec 13 2019 8:27pm
So the election is over and sense has prevailed. I assume all those remoaners, left-wingers and divisive elements will now accept the will of the people and not ask for a second election vote as the people didn't understand the facts...!?! :wave:
The result is indisputable.

But it's worth noting that 53% of the population voted for parties whose Brexit policy was either cancel or 2nd Ref. And as I'm sure you'll agree, 53% is a resounding landslide victory.

So you still can't argue that Brexit is the will of the people. It was (just) in the 2016 referendum of misinformation. That's the best you can say.

However, this was a general election, not a referendum, so the scores are totted up differently. Boris's huge win means we will now get the Surrender Agreement that is worse than staying in. Boris does not care if that's what you voted for or not.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Dec 14 2019 10:27am

Yes, the people have spoken, a lot of us knew we were wasting our votes but still voted. But this is they system we have and must now fight for jobs, workers rights, the NHS and above all the climate emergency. Yes there are idiots around who do not want to believe the indisputable facts but we must ignore them and make sure our MP's are not one of the idiots. And make sure they do what is best for the future generations not what will get them elected next time.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sat Dec 14 2019 11:44am

If we can look past the knuckleheads who might think using words like "remoaners" is an appropriate way to discuss anything, I can see a minor silver lining to this result in that Boris Johnson now actually has so much power he could (if he wants to) give the hard right ERG within his party the cold shoulder. Theresa May never had that option since she needed every vote, whereas Boris Johnson has a large enough majority he'd be able to disregard them and govern from much nearer the centre if he actually wishes to do so.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sat Dec 14 2019 12:15pm

Now some won't even accept the election result
Hundreds of protesters clashed with police when they marched through central London and in front of Downing Street in a demonstration against the election of Boris Johnson.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/vi ... cted-video

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Dec 14 2019 12:25pm

expressman33 wrote:
Sat Dec 14 2019 12:15pm
Now some won't even accept the election result
Hundreds of protesters clashed with police when they marched through central London and in front of Downing Street in a demonstration against the election of Boris Johnson.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/vi ... cted-video
Unsurprising, he is after all a very Marmite person. Throughout history there has always been people who are unhappy with what they do not agree with and are willing to agitate for their cause. Part of it also is because they do not believe in the current form of democracy the UK uses. Chadwick refers to this in his post.
Chadwick wrote:
Sat Dec 14 2019 10:00am
But it's worth noting that 53% of the population voted for parties whose Brexit policy was either cancel or 2nd Ref. And as I'm sure you'll agree, 53% is a resounding landslide victory.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Kelantan

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Dec 14 2019 12:33pm

Sarah wrote:
Sat Dec 14 2019 11:44am
If we can look past the knuckleheads who might think using words like "remoaners" is an appropriate way to discuss anything, I can see a minor silver lining to this result in that Boris Johnson now actually has so much power he could (if he wants to) give the hard right ERG within his party the cold shoulder. Theresa May never had that option since she needed every vote, whereas Boris Johnson has a large enough majority he'd be able to disregard them and govern from much nearer the centre if he actually wishes to do so.
There will always be those who delight in victory - especially those who have nothing to do with it but whose team happened to beat another on the day. Their taunts and jibes are just a measure of their immaturity. I was not surprised at the result overall, but I hope those who decided to switch sides do not live to regret their decision - and, like you, I hope (somewhat forlornly) that Boris actually does prove to have a backbone and that he can stand up to those who would push the country backwards. keep an eye on the NHS going forward.....

However, in terms of the "Get Brexit Done" claim..... the UK will be embroiled in negotiations forever, so I'm sure any money saved from the payments into the EU will help to pay for the army of extra "negotiators" who be needed once the UK is out. Given the level of incompetent negotiation so far, I'm not sure where they will come from, but hey...

I stick by my prediction - The UK will end up paying more to receive less.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Kelantan
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

dermsams

Post by dermsams » Sat Dec 14 2019 6:57pm

Surely we accept that Brexit will take 10 or 20 years to sort out, but in that longer term things for our country, as an independent, may be better.
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Dec 14 2019 8:09pm

dermsams wrote:
Sat Dec 14 2019 6:57pm
Surely we accept that Brexit will take 10 or 20 years to sort out, but in that longer term things for our country, as an independent, may be better.
It seems a shame then that the decision was taken largely by people who won't be around then..... :eh:
Thanked by: blythburgh, Kelantan, Chadwick
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me