Credit Karma - Unknown Insurance Searches

Money, investing, mutuals etc
planteria

Credit Karma - Unknown Insurance Searches

Post by planteria » Mon Dec 16 2019 9:45am

i've clicked through to my Credit Karma report, having had an alert that there has been a change.

there are no apparent problems, but back in October there are 11 Insurance searches on the same day, and i wasn't applying for any insurance.. :think: how concerned should i be? and what do do about it?
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Re: Credit Karma - Unknown Insurance Searches

Post by blythburgh » Mon Dec 16 2019 10:27am

I would be worried abut the insurance. I once had a letter saying someone with a different name had applied for insurance or a bank account at Lloyds Bank. Also got a letter with a name that was not my neighbours but her address on it. Again the back of the letter said it came from the same bank or insurance company. The postie had inadvertantly got her letter mixed up with mine. After a phone call to the company I passed the letter on and was able to reassure her the company had said that they were aware of what had happened and out addresses were in the clear
Thanked by: planteria
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

planteria

Post by planteria » Mon Dec 16 2019 10:41am

it's difficult to know what to do about it really.
insurance brokers have carried out searches, with no apparent result.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Dec 16 2019 10:52am

If it does not affect your credit score then the companies may have realised it was a scam. But do keep an eye on your credit score. You could inform your bank about it.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

planteria

Post by planteria » Mon Dec 16 2019 10:54am

which one? :)

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Mon Dec 16 2019 2:28pm

Are you sure the searches don't correspond with a renewal and possibly a requote if you called for a cheaper price? I've usually got some insurance quote or ID check searches on my file but tend not to worry about them. 11 on the same day does sound like a lot however I've just counted and there are actually 9 on my file in a single day plus 2 the following day!
Thanked by: kevinchess1

planteria

Post by planteria » Wed Dec 18 2019 9:59am

i wasn't applying for anything that day Sarah.. i don't really have any insurance at the moment, for anything to renew.
although it's reminded me that I received a letter from Admiral to say that I needed an appointment or my premium would increase --- i called them, and informed them that i don't have a policy with them.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Dec 18 2019 10:40am

planteria wrote:
Wed Dec 18 2019 9:59am
i wasn't applying for anything that day Sarah.. i don't really have any insurance at the moment, for anything to renew.
although it's reminded me that I received a letter from Admiral to say that I needed an appointment or my premium would increase --- i called them, and informed them that i don't have a policy with them.
A bit strange "a letter from Admiral to say that I needed an appointment or my premium would increase".
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

planteria

Post by planteria » Wed Dec 18 2019 6:10pm

agreed. they told me that there must be an error and have assured me they will write to me to explain what has happened - having initially asked me for details such as my date of birth, which i didn't provide to them, and also my phone number, which they initially said they would need to be able to respond to my concern.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Dec 19 2019 10:32am

A tad off topic but related. Elderly neighbour is house bound so buys some stuff from catalogues and pays using debit card over phone.

Yesterday she got two phone calls.

One was from her bank, did she buy something using her card when she was not present 20 mins ago? No she did not so bank marked it as fraud and refunded the money taken from account.

Second was from a company she had never heard of asking for her bank details so they could help her. She might be 92 but she is as sharp as anyone and told them the best way for them to help her was to put their phone down. She then put hers down.

Not something you need when paid is waking you up at night, and your fridge had broken down two days earlier. Niece and husband visiting next day so bought her a new one and removed the old. And when you see 'im indoors walking down your path to put out your rubbish bin you open the door so you can share the news that the kitchen is awash with water from the broken down freezer. Lovely husband stayed and cleaned up kitchen and freezer. And worked out it could be the fuse. Came home for one and bingo one freezer now working again. I stayed here as I knew our friend needed space to recover and no room in the kitchen for two people trying to clean it up.