Dear Nicola and Boris

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh
Posts: 15217
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 27927 times
Been thanked: 5549 times
Contact:

Dear Nicola and Boris

Post by blythburgh » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Despite what you say, Boris, the majority of those who vote in the country voted for pro Remain candidates despite you getting a majority.

And despite what you say, Nicola, an even bigger majority of those who voted in Scotland voted for parties who do not want Scottish Independence.

Remember if it had been a referendum not an election Remain in the EU and remain in the UK would have won hands down.

The politicians should remember seats won is not the same as total votes for your party or else the next election national or local could give your party a good hiding.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

parchedpeas
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:34 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 269 times
Contact:

Re: Dear Nicola and Boris

Post by parchedpeas » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:35 pm

But a majority of Scots want to remain in the EU. And Johnson is taking them out against their will.

They deserve the right to say aye or nae.
Thanked by: blythburgh

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24889
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 3299 times
Contact:

Re: Dear Nicola and Boris

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:32 pm

parchedpeas wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:35 pm
But a majority of Scots want to remain in the EU. And Johnson is taking them out against their will.

They deserve the right to say aye or nae.
The Scots want to choose their own path with the EU.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Sarah
Posts: 2896
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 am
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 2066 times
Contact:

Re: Dear Nicola and Boris

Post by Sarah » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:53 pm

The SNP enabled brexit by choosing to vote for a General Election. They've increased their count of Westminster MPs and advanced their independence agenda but at the cost of losing any chance to stop brexit.
Thanked by: blythburgh

expressman33
Posts: 10375
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2458 times
Been thanked: 9671 times
Contact:

Re: Dear Nicola and Boris

Post by expressman33 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:01 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:27 pm
Despite what you say, Boris, the majority of those who vote in the country voted for pro Remain candidates despite you getting a majority.

And despite what you say, Nicola, an even bigger majority of those who voted in Scotland voted for parties who do not want Scottish Independence.

Remember if it had been a referendum not an election Remain in the EU and remain in the UK would have won hands down.

The politicians should remember seats won is not the same as total votes for your party or else the next election national or local could give your party a good hiding.
Not everyone voted for a party because of their brexit policies.
Thanked by: blythburgh

pabenny
Posts: 1762
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 485 times
Been thanked: 1410 times
Contact:

Re: Dear Nicola and Boris

Post by pabenny » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:02 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:27 pm
Despite what you say, Boris, the majority of those who vote in the country voted for pro Remain candidates despite you getting a majority.
We've been here before, Mrs blythburgh. Labour's fudged position means that you can't draw any conclusions about their candidates' preferences. Equally, Boris's insistence that Tory candidates pledged support for the withdrawal bill doesn't mean that all Conservatives elected are pro-leave.

That's candidates; as for voters, I don't doubt that there were many pro-leave Labour supporters and pro-remain Tories who nevertheless still voted for their preferred party. It's likely, too, that there are voters without strong leave or remain preferences who made their choice on other grounds.

As Mr Boro Boy might put it, you're twisting the facts so that they say something you like.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh
Posts: 15217
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 27927 times
Been thanked: 5549 times
Contact:

Re: Dear Nicola and Boris

Post by blythburgh » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:39 am

I can see the argument that Brexit means that IndyRef2 should happen. Just as I can see the argument, now lost, for a People's Vote.

And yes the SNP wrecked the chance of a People's Vote by going for a GE but they want IndyRef2 more than they wanted to stop Brexit.

It was interesting to hear Emily Thornberry say she argued hard not to back the GE but to push for a People's Vote instead. So sad for the younger people of this country that her wise words were ignored.

But we are were we are but I repeat the Party Leaders must remember that only a minority of voters in their country voted for them.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny
Posts: 1762
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 485 times
Been thanked: 1410 times
Contact:

Re: Dear Nicola and Boris

Post by pabenny » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:41 am

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:39 am
But we are were we are but I repeat the Party Leaders must remember that only a minority of voters in their country voted for them.
True... sort of. The only people who voted for Boris are the 25,000 people in his Uxbridge constituency who chose him as their MP and about 100,000 Conservative party members who voted for him to be leader. A very tiny minority of the electorate.

If what you actually mean is that neither the Conservatives in the UK as a whole nor SNP in Scotland got a an overall majority of votes cast, that's a different point. If we had PR and if people still voted in the same way, the winning party would not have an overall majority. But we can't assume that some form of PR would not change voting patterns.

I agree that governments should govern for the whole country and not just their own supporters. But that is true whatever the distribution of votes.

blythburgh
Posts: 15217
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: The Far East
Has thanked: 27927 times
Been thanked: 5549 times
Contact:

Re: Dear Nicola and Boris

Post by blythburgh » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:03 am

pabenny wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:41 am
blythburgh wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:39 am
But we are were we are but I repeat the Party Leaders must remember that only a minority of voters in their country voted for them.
True... sort of. The only people who voted for Boris are the 25,000 people in his Uxbridge constituency who chose him as their MP and about 100,000 Conservative party members who voted for him to be leader. A very tiny minority of the electorate.

If what you actually mean is that neither the Conservatives in the UK as a whole nor SNP in Scotland got a an overall majority of votes cast, that's a different point. If we had PR and if people still voted in the same way, the winning party would not have an overall majority. But we can't assume that some form of PR would not change voting patterns.

I agree that governments should govern for the whole country and not just their own supporters. But that is true whatever the distribution of votes.
If we had PR might have been a different outcome but that horse has bolted and I blame the then LibDem leadership for that. It should have been held on a day when it was just a referendum not tacked onto a Council election. But the Tory supporting media and the Tory machine would have made sure they frightened people into voting no of course. I cannot see anyone finding the horse for many years so we are stuck with first past the post for many, many years to come.

Felt so angry that UKIP polled so many votes without getting an MP. Yes, I had no time for UKIP but many voters did but were denied representation. But as I said earlier the horse has bolted and we must accept that fact.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny
Posts: 1762
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 485 times
Been thanked: 1410 times
Contact:

Re: Dear Nicola and Boris

Post by pabenny » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:27 pm

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:39 am
... the Party Leaders must remember that only a minority of voters in their country voted for them.
FWIW, in all the elections since WW2, no party forming a government did so with a majority of votes cast.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blythburgh and 1 guest