Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Sarah
Posts: 3034
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 am
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 2208 times
Contact:

Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Post by Sarah » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:46 am

Welcome to 2020!

What a time to be alive! :thumbdown:

https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit- ... -eu-2020-1
Thanked by: blythburgh

gle1975
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:43 am
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 120 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Post by gle1975 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:10 pm

If we had not joined the EU in the 70s and had a different arrangement like Norway, Switzerland etc, the UK may have performed better. So perhaps joining the EEC lost load of money!
Thanked by: blythburgh

parchedpeas
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:34 pm
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 327 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Post by parchedpeas » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:42 pm

gle1975 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:10 pm
If we had not joined the EU in the 70s and had a different arrangement like Norway, Switzerland etc, the UK may have performed better. So perhaps joining the EEC lost load of money!
Utter nonsense. It's the introduction of the single market that has supercharged our economy and kept manufacturing alive in the UK. Which is why Norway and the Swiss are (de facto) inside it.

There isn't a single economic prediction that says leaving the Single Market will be better for us. Not one. Anywhere. From anyone. And there won't be either, because removing tariffs and friction makes sense. We're the only country in the world to ever do the opposite.

But LOOK OVER THERE BIG BEN! And that's enough to distract the masses in this low-productivity, low skills country.
Thanked by: Sarah, blythburgh

Boro Boy
Posts: 5048
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 982 times
Been thanked: 2011 times

Re: Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:59 pm

The price of freedom never comes cheap!

expressman33
Posts: 10650
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 pm
Location: stockport
Has thanked: 2558 times
Been thanked: 9879 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Post by expressman33 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:19 pm

There is a cost either way and the fact remains that Britain was paying an extremely high amount compared to other countries to stay in the EU. Its done now so people need to accept the result and get over it as they should've when it was voted for. We've lost more money with the uncertainty and still didn't get as bad as predicted.
Thanked by: Boro Boy, stockportcounty

parchedpeas
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:34 pm
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 327 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Post by parchedpeas » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:51 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:19 pm
There is a cost either way and the fact remains that Britain was paying an extremely high amount compared to other countries to stay in the EU. Its done now so people need to accept the result and get over it as they should've when it was voted for. We've lost more money with the uncertainty and still didn't get as bad as predicted.
It's far from done because "IT" still hasn't been defined.

And thanks for telling me to 'get over it'. I make three people unemployed later this month - directly Brexit related.

I'll pass on your regards.
Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:59 pm
The price of freedom never comes cheap!
As if you've ever paid a price for "freedom".
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy
Posts: 5048
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 982 times
Been thanked: 2011 times

Re: Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:19 pm

parchedpeas wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:51 pm
expressman33 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:19 pm
There is a cost either way and the fact remains that Britain was paying an extremely high amount compared to other countries to stay in the EU. Its done now so people need to accept the result and get over it as they should've when it was voted for. We've lost more money with the uncertainty and still didn't get as bad as predicted.
It's far from done because "IT" still hasn't been defined.

And thanks for telling me to 'get over it'. I make three people unemployed later this month - directly Brexit related.

I'll pass on your regards.
Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:59 pm
The price of freedom never comes cheap!
As if you've ever paid a price for "freedom".
Remarks like that merely go to highlight that you know nothing...!

Chadwick
Posts: 1977
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 945 times
Been thanked: 2129 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:21 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:19 pm
There is a cost either way and the fact remains that Britain was paying an extremely high amount compared to other countries to stay in the EU.
Except that's not a fact.
Each country's contribution is based on their national income. The UK pays proportionally less than the others because we have a rebate.

If you think it's unfair that we pay more than other countries in actual £, remember it's because we are a rich country. If we were a poor country, we would pay less, but you would be living in a poor country.


If your argument for leaving is that it's unfair that rich members contribute more than poor members, because the amount is based on % of income, then you may also find the UK tax system is not for you.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick
Posts: 1977
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 945 times
Been thanked: 2129 times
Contact:

Re: Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:19 pm
Its done now so people need to accept the result and get over it as they should've when it was voted for. We've lost more money with the uncertainty and still didn't get as bad as predicted.
a) It's not done. It's barely started.

b) As for people not accepting the result, presumably you mean people like Boris Johnson, Priti Patel, Dominic Raab, Grant Shapps and Theresa Villiers. They all voted against Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement. This, as you will recall, prolonged the process and ultimately brought the government down.

c) "It's not as bad as predicted" is not justification for anything.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy
Posts: 5048
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 982 times
Been thanked: 2011 times

Re: Brexit will have soon cost the UK more than all its payments to the EU over the past 47 years put together

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:44 pm

Chadwick wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 pm
expressman33 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:19 pm
Its done now so people need to accept the result and get over it as they should've when it was voted for. We've lost more money with the uncertainty and still didn't get as bad as predicted.
a) It's not done. It's barely started.

b) As for people not accepting the result, presumably you mean people like Boris Johnson, Priti Patel, Dominic Raab, Grant Shapps and Theresa Villiers. They all voted against Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement. This, as you will recall, prolonged the process and ultimately brought the government down.

c) "It's not as bad as predicted" is not justification for anything.
All the scaremongers seem to be moving their goal posts now... :wtf:

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests