A cautionary tale.......

Spotted a problem on imutual? If it's not specific to your account, then post here and see if other members can help. Staff also monitor this forum and will reply as necessary
macliam

A cautionary tale.......

Post by macliam » Sun Feb 02 2020 3:26pm

Apologies to anyone who considers the following a statement of the bleedin' obvious - but others might want to file it under the "ye don't get owt for nowt" category. ;)

When I returned from Portugal late last year, I found that Icelolly was no longer tracking for me - here or elsewhere. No matter what I did, the result was the same, zilch, nowt, nada. Then, when the new daily, Cheap Travel Holidays, appeared, it was just another chance to get nothing. :( I tried a few times, but never got a track - so I just guessed I was missing something. :eh:

Then recently I noticed on a vendor site that I wasn't able to see the customer comments... odd. :?

Yesterday, the same thing happened on the John Lewis site when I was looking at TVs. This definitely seemed odd. So I started to consider what the reason might be. I swapped browser from Chrome to Firefox - and tried again. Hey Presto! - the customer comments were available! So, it's a Chrome thing, eh? :think:

Guess what..... IceLolly and Cheap Travel Holidays tracked too! :o

That seemed a bit odd .... after all, a lot of people use Chrome, so what else? Then I twigged - on Firefox I still have Google as the default browser, but on Chrome I swapped to DuckDuckGo late last year - LIGHTBULB!! As part of the installation, DDG installed a "Privacy Protection" chrome extension. So I went again to the John Lewis page, tapped the extension and whitelisted the page and reloaded - Hey Presto (again)! Customer Comments!!

So, the "statement of the bleedin' obvious" is, you CAN protect your privacy...... but it might cost you!!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

BeautifulSunshine

Re: A cautionary tale.......

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sun Feb 02 2020 4:58pm

macliam wrote:
Sun Feb 02 2020 3:26pm
Apologies to anyone who considers the following a statement of the bleedin' obvious - but others might want to file it under the "ye don't get owt for nowt" category. ;)

When I returned from Portugal late last year, I found that Icelolly was no longer tracking for me - here or elsewhere. No matter what I did, the result was the same, zilch, nowt, nada. Then, when the new daily, Cheap Travel Holidays, appeared, it was just another chance to get nothing. :( I tried a few times, but never got a track - so I just guessed I was missing something. :eh:

Then recently I noticed on a vendor site that I wasn't able to see the customer comments... odd. :?

Yesterday, the same thing happened on the John Lewis site when I was looking at TVs. This definitely seemed odd. So I started to consider what the reason might be. I swapped browser from Chrome to Firefox - and tried again. Hey Presto! - the customer comments were available! So, it's a Chrome thing, eh? :think:

Guess what..... IceLolly and Cheap Travel Holidays tracked too! :o

That seemed a bit odd .... after all, a lot of people use Chrome, so what else? Then I twigged - on Firefox I still have Google as the default browser, but on Chrome I swapped to DuckDuckGo late last year - LIGHTBULB!! As part of the installation, DDG installed a "Privacy Protection" chrome extension. So I went again to the John Lewis page, tapped the extension and whitelisted the page and reloaded - Hey Presto (again)! Customer Comments!!

So, the "statement of the bleedin' obvious" is, you CAN protect your privacy...... but it might cost you!!
Some web browsers have built-in add blockers.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sun Feb 02 2020 5:18pm

macliam wrote:
Sun Feb 02 2020 3:26pm
I think most people sacrifice Privacy for Speed
How many of us have Auto login?
If I had to input my Username and password for every site I just wouldn't do the dailys
I have my Bank details saved on several sites, including Amazon
Of course the downside is that my family will just auto click on to their and but any old carp at my expense
Family got to love them
Any way pleased you got ot all sorted I see on another thread Sarah was having a similar problem, maybe the same issue?
Thanked by: Chadwick, blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

Bonzo

Post by Bonzo » Sun Feb 02 2020 6:37pm

If you use opera then the same applies. A recent update activated auto block trackers which coincided with ice lolly not tracking. Took me 3 days to suss it and at the top of the browser ,when on any page to do with icelolly , then click on the privacy icon and turn off the blocker for that page. Ice lolly then began tracking again

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Feb 02 2020 6:59pm

The reason I posted this is to underline how individual choices can impact the outcome that we get.

I agree with Kev about the Privacy/Speed( or convenience) dichotomy, although unlike him, I store very few financial details online. The same applies with use/non-use of Facebook, etc. My reason for trying DDG was to limit the tracking big brother could do....

Unfortunately, unlike Bonzo, there was no obvious connection between my use of DDG and tracking issues (because I had been out of the country when I installed it). Looking back on what I now know, it does seem embarrassingly obvious, but then, hindsight is always 20/20, eh?

What it does underline is the benefit of the forums - because I would have continued to presume that it was a site issue had I not known that others were unaffected and still getting their bunce.....
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Feb 02 2020 9:06pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Sun Feb 02 2020 5:18pm
I see on another thread Sarah was having a similar problem, maybe the same issue?
I had started to suspect some kind of ban however it does instead seem to be Chrome related. I don't block ads or cookies or have the "do not track" option turned on, so the problem must be something less obvious than those settings.

In the meantime, I just clicked Icelolly via Quidco using IE11 which did track; switching browser appears to be a workaround until the Chrome configuration/issue is resolved. :thumbup:
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Feb 03 2020 8:26am

I do the cashback sites in Firefox and most of the time everything tracks.

And I do not leave my cc in sites but enter it every time I need to which is not very often. And if you must store your details of log ins etc then I would say be very careful what you store there, use different passwords and use a very secure site.

I do not store my passwords but 'im indoors does store non banking ones via Norton which is our paid for anti virus
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler