Post-of-the-month results - January 2020

cccashbacklover

Consumer Moneyfacts Awards 2020

Post by cccashbacklover » Mon Feb 03 2020 11:21pm

And the Consumer Moneyfacts Awards 2020 winners are..

Cashback Site of the Year 2020

WINNER
TopCashback

Highly Commended: OhMyDosh!
Commended: Swagbucks

No open thread to post it on, Interesting that second place was up for grabs

https://www.moneyfactsgroup.co.uk/award ... nners/2020

Sarah

Re: Post-of-the-month results - January 2020

Post by Sarah » Tue Feb 04 2020 5:38am

Richard Frost wrote:
Mon Feb 03 2020 8:34pm
Unsurprising given the current level of intelligence being displayed by some of those who do post. I myself limit my posting nowadays as most of the discussions are just so pointless, ill informed or just plain biased.
What's the alternative - allow ill informed posts to remain unchallenged? I agree in part - life's too short and that's an easy option, although also partly how we got into this dreadful mess.

I used to be a regular contributor on a long established money savers forum that permitted several members to copy+paste Vote Leave and Leave.EU propaganda unchecked throughout the 2016 referendum campaign. I left them to enjoy their echo-chamber after the result and surely wasn't the only member to do so. That site has been very quiet in recent years and just announced its imminent closure.

The UK newspapers have been gaslighting the population for decades. They've become comfortable with lies and intolerance. We have a government shifting further to the right on an almost daily basis and an opposition that's practically useless. The UK is in a pretty dark place.

The Sunday Telegraph boasted last weekend that they had waged a "war against the EU - which goes back decades" which obviously sells better than a mission to report news or inform their readership.

https://twitter.com/timothy_stanley/sta ... 49313?s=20

Yesterday Number 10 attempted to selectively exclude journalists from an official government briefing. Johnson is following Trump's playbook and we know where he learned it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... porter-ban
Thanked by: pakefield

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Tue Feb 04 2020 7:42am

Sarah wrote:
Tue Feb 04 2020 5:38am
Richard Frost wrote:
Unsurprising given the current level of intelligence being displayed by some of those who do post. I myself limit my posting nowadays as most of the discussions are just so pointless, ill informed or just plain biased.
What's the alternative - allow ill informed posts to remain unchallenged? I agree in part - life's too short and that's an easy option, although also partly how we got into this dreadful mess.
I have neither the time or the energy, to challenge idiots who are willing to perpetuate lies and and twist the facts. When challenged are obnoxious and downright insulting and then complain that people are being rude to them and twisting the facts. Personally I feel I am better off letting them get on with it and let them stew in their own juices. My feeling/instinct is to ignore them and give them an audience of zilch. One of the reasons why I have a zero social media presence.

This site is a shadow of its former self and IMO does/is doing nothing to reverse the decline. Having one or two moderators would help. But the current owner (sic) seems happy to let it slip into a moral morass. Letting anyone get away with almost anything.
Thanked by: pakefield

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue Feb 04 2020 8:12am

Sarah wrote:
Tue Feb 04 2020 5:38am
Richard Frost wrote:

I used to be a regular contributor on a long established money savers forum that permitted several members to copy+paste Vote Leave and Leave.EU propaganda unchecked throughout the 2016 referendum campaign. I left them to enjoy their echo-chamber after the result and surely wasn't the only member to do so. That site has been very quiet in recent years and just announced its imminent closure.

The UK newspapers have been gaslighting the population for decades. They've become comfortable with lies and intolerance. We have a government shifting further to the right on an almost daily basis and an opposition that's practically useless. The UK is in a pretty dark place.

The Sunday Telegraph boasted last weekend that they had waged a "war against the EU - which goes back decades" which obviously sells better than a mission to report news or inform their readership.

https://twitter.com/timothy_stanley/sta ... 49313?s=20

Yesterday Number 10 attempted to selectively exclude journalists from an official government briefing. Johnson is following Trump's playbook and we know where he learned it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... porter-ban
+1
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

garindan

Post by garindan » Fri Feb 07 2020 5:48pm

I think this is the second time I have won, but the first time was with nowhere near the number of thanks the post got this past month.

It's a shame a number of members on here have to post what they do in the they way they do. Sat around a table in the pub they'd get a blow to the chops for their rudeness and insulting behaviour if they were to behave the same. There is freedom of speech and being an antagonist. The latter doesn't respect the views of others.

Whether you believe in Brexit or not shouldn't lead to such arguments. However, the public have seen some ridiculous behaviour on all sides of the argument, from all kinds of people in the public eye, which sets a very poor example.

The biggest irony in my eyes is this though - people are so forthcoming saying either how dreadful or how great it will be outside the EU, but nobody actually knows what is going to happen. The examples given as to what could happen are not seamlessly transferable to the UK. The situation is unique and the level of success an independent UK will have shall be dependent on whether a) everyone in the UK gets behind the result of the referendum and b) those in charge of policies work bloody hard to get the best results. If we still see the negative and blocking dynamic of the past 3 years it will significantly undermine everything. I say this as it is how business works. If you have a company where some staff work against the company's goals and/or those in charge don't work hard enough to secure the company's future, it will probably fail.

Time will tell but one thing is for sure - nobody knows how things will turn out.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, pakefield
Chairman: iMutual's Cashback Investment Club (CIC) - contact me about joining!
Visit the Cashback Investment Club forum to find out more.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Fri Feb 07 2020 6:20pm

garindan wrote:
Fri Feb 07 2020 5:48pm
I think this is the second time I have won, but the first time was with nowhere near the number of thanks the post got this past month.

It's a shame a number of members on here have to post what they do in the they way they do. Sat around a table in the pub they'd get a blow to the chops for their rudeness and insulting behaviour if they were to behave the same. There is freedom of speech and being an antagonist. The latter doesn't respect the views of others.

Whether you believe in Brexit or not shouldn't lead to such arguments. However, the public have seen some ridiculous behaviour on all sides of the argument, from all kinds of people in the public eye, which sets a very poor example.

The biggest irony in my eyes is this though - people are so forthcoming saying either how dreadful or how great it will be outside the EU, but nobody actually knows what is going to happen. The examples given as to what could happen are not seamlessly transferable to the UK. The situation is unique and the level of success an independent UK will have shall be dependent on whether a) everyone in the UK gets behind the result of the referendum and b) those in charge of policies work bloody hard to get the best results. If we still see the negative and blocking dynamic of the past 3 years it will significantly undermine everything. I say this as it is how business works. If you have a company where some staff work against the company's goals and/or those in charge don't work hard enough to secure the company's future, it will probably fail.

Time will tell but one thing is for sure - nobody knows how things will turn out.
I'm hoping for the best.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]