So what?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

So what?

Post by macliam » Tue Feb 18 2020 1:03pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51540591
Lord Snowden and his wife are to divorce after 26 years of marriage. That is sad for them, but what is the public interest? Heaven knows, I am no royalist or supporter of the hereditary peerage, but the ex-Viscount Linley is not a likely candidate for the throne, does not receive public money and has supported himself through his creation of bespoke furniture since 1985.

I am lucky enough to own a Linley sofa, which I bought from his Pimlico store just after I had moved to Suffolk. The sofa is a tribute to craftsmanship, with inlaid wood and brass casters founded with the Linley name on them and upholstered in a traditionally made printed fabric, which is actually dyed in tea to provide the background. It was an ex-window display and cost only slightly more than a quality sofa from the nearby Peter Jones (John Lewis) store - but for a future antique which has appreciated in value.

The whole process of buying the sofa was a pleasure - and its onward transport was handled with great care by the store (I don't remember if we paid extra, but if we did, it was not excessive). I did not meet David Linley, but Serena was in the store and showed SWMBO around, chatting pleasantly, even though it must have been obvious to her that we were neither super rich nor likely to buy anything else. She seemed to be a genuinely nice person and a world away from what might have been expected in the circumstances.

So, I'm sad to hear that they have decided to divorce, but don't see what it has to do with me or anyone else unconnected with his family. It seems that the UK media cannot decide what should and should not be deemed newsworthy. :(
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

kevinchess1

Re: So what?

Post by kevinchess1 » Tue Feb 18 2020 10:44pm

Guessing it a slow news day
Other non stories including but not limited too are when this/that person/couple announced they are homosexual/broke/getting married/divorced
I mean. Bully for them, but who else cares really?
Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Feb 19 2020 8:56am

I wish them good fortune wherever the future may take them.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Wed Feb 19 2020 9:17am

macliam wrote:
Tue Feb 18 2020 1:03pm
.. It seems that the UK media cannot decide what should and should not be deemed newsworthy.
So what makes something newsworthy?

I have no interest in golf but many people do and therefore it makes the news bulletins.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Feb 19 2020 9:35am

I did not know about the divorce and it especially sad after so many years of marriage but as macliam says, it is not news and nothing of interest to me. I confused son with father at first lol
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler