Another what 2 colours can you see

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
expressman33

Another what 2 colours can you see

Post by expressman33 » Thu Feb 27 2020 8:34pm

Sarah

Re: Another what 2 colours can you see

Post by Sarah » Thu Feb 27 2020 8:51pm

Colour: The Spectrum of Science is an interesting BBC documentary series on this topic, typically repeated every year or two. Helen Czerski wears and explains that dress... it's blue and black.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02vmx6x
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... -s-colours

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Fri Feb 28 2020 8:45am

Sarah wrote:
Thu Feb 27 2020 8:51pm
Colour: The Spectrum of Science is an interesting BBC documentary series on this topic, typically repeated every year or two. Helen Czerski wears and explains that dress... it's blue and black.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02vmx6x
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... -s-colours
And the dress is so her.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Feb 28 2020 11:09am

My wedding dress was gold or peach depending on how the light hit it. 'im indoors hated white wedding dresses so instead of the ivory silk I would have bought I bought the gold which looked peach at times. Yes, dressmaker made wedding dress which like the Rolls Royce was a cheaper option. We could have paid more for a Ford something (one of the larger ones but forget which name). Nice to have ridden a short way in a Roller and save money at the same time.

And we even managed to get the immediate family matching the flower colour scheme but that was only because the bridesmaid had a dress made by her Mum which was cream with sprigs of flowers on it. So picked flower colour to match that dress which was worn again for the Mayoral Ball when she was Mayoress to her Mum's Mayor the following year. Hence not the usual satin dress. The other outfits just happened to be in the same colour.

If was not so common to order guests to wear a certain colour etc then and even today I would not tell people what to wear in any sense. Cousin in law had to wear dress in colour she was not keen on and wear heels despite then hurting her feet at son's wedding a couple of years ago. I would have said "sorry but an injury means I cannot wear heels without pain so it is flats for me" but she bought a shoes with kitten heels she has not worn since.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Fri Feb 28 2020 12:15pm

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Feb 28 2020 11:09am
My wedding dress was gold or peach depending on how the light hit it. 'im indoors hated white wedding dresses so instead of the ivory silk I would have bought I bought the gold which looked peach at times. Yes, dressmaker made wedding dress which like the Rolls Royce was a cheaper option. We could have paid more for a Ford something (one of the larger ones but forget which name). Nice to have ridden a short way in a Roller and save money at the same time.

And we even managed to get the immediate family matching the flower colour scheme but that was only because the bridesmaid had a dress made by her Mum which was cream with sprigs of flowers on it. So picked flower colour to match that dress which was worn again for the Mayoral Ball when she was Mayoress to her Mum's Mayor the following year. Hence not the usual satin dress. The other outfits just happened to be in the same colour.

If was not so common to order guests to wear a certain colour etc then and even today I would not tell people what to wear in any sense. Cousin in law had to wear dress in colour she was not keen on and wear heels despite then hurting her feet at son's wedding a couple of years ago. I would have said "sorry but an injury means I cannot wear heels without pain so it is flats for me" but she bought a shoes with kitten heels she has not worn since.
It was all worth it. Today the two of you are happy as can be.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Feb 29 2020 11:40am

Yep, an affordable wedding and honeymoon. Not the dream ones but we did not have a mountain of debt so happy with what we had.

Young lady who works weekends at corner shop got married in Nov. The whole lot cost £5000 but a fellow student whose fiance/husband works offshore on the oil/gas rigs. Her dress cost £10,000 and I dread to think what the wedding cost.

A friend is going to an evening do for 200 at an expensive hotel, 100 guests for wedding and reception. He is not a relative or close friend of the bride.

Why spend so much when money would be better spent on house deposit and so lower the mortgage?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Feb 29 2020 3:51pm

Optical illusions just prove the truth - You really cannot believe your eyes!! That's to say, you cannot believe that what you see is what it appears to be...... because it is actually what your brain tells you it is.

Your eyes are simply complex receptors, accepting light stimuli and passing the signal to your brain for processing. So far, so simple. But your brain will process that signal using a mixture of inate processes AND learned responses.... and it is the latter that confuse matters.

Optical illusions cause confusion because they play on learned processing - the famous Müller-Lyer illusion simply does not work with Bushmen from the Kalahari - because it works due to our learned response to corners..... and Bushmen never see corners so never develop that rule-set.

Likewise, you see the colour you call "gold" and learn to call that gold because it's what everyone else around you calls it - but if the stimuli changes subtly, or your learned processing evaluates that stimuli slightly differently, it may appear to be a different colour. To us, sky is blue, and grass is green - but in Vietnamese both are the colour "xanh".

From studies with 4-6 month old babies, they appear to distinguish just 5 colours: red, green, blue, purple and yellow. Other hues are "learned" later - and to complicate this further, Vietnamese infants probably "see" green and blue as different colours, but since their culture does not distinguish between them, they learn to call both by the same word, blocking out even rules that seem to be hard-wired.

There's nothing you can do about it easily, because your response is not so much hard-wired as programmed that way. Beauty is not so much in the eye of the beholder as in the brain of the beholder
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Feb 29 2020 4:00pm

I am trying hard to see the point of the original post. But tbh I just do not get it. Seems just to be a pointless waste of time and effort to me.