Driving License Photocard renewal

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam
Posts: 8416
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1341 times
Been thanked: 6642 times
Contact:

Driving License Photocard renewal

Post by macliam » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:04 pm

Another example of the 80/20 rule on official websites.

When you renew you photocard, you have two options - go online for £14 or through a Post Office at £21.50.

If you go via the PO, they take the photograph and send off your completed application. The price "includes a £4.50 Post Office service charge"...... :eh: My arithmetic says £14 + £4.50 is £18.50..... so where does the othe £3 go????

Now for the 80/20 bit. To use the online service, you need to give your UK passport number, so that DVLA can lift your photograph and signature from there. - so what if you don't have one? Many people may not need a passport (and they're not exactly cost free), plus other legal residents, like me, may use a different passport.

Hey, but it'll work 80% of the time, eh? :roll:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

cccashbacklover
Posts: 1881
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:55 pm
Has thanked: 1121 times
Been thanked: 1164 times
Contact:

Re: Driving License Photocard renewal

Post by cccashbacklover » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:14 pm

macliam wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:04 pm
Another example of the 80/20 rule on official websites.

When you renew you photocard, you have two options - go online for £14 or through a Post Office at £21.50.

If you go via the PO, they take the photograph and send off your completed application. The price "includes a £4.50 Post Office service charge"...... :eh: My arithmetic says £14 + £4.50 is £18.50..... so where does the othe £3 go????
DVLA charge £17 by post or £14 online, cheaper for them the more people who apply online, hence £3.00 less

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-fees

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/r ... ng-licence

You said yourself P.O "send off your completed application"

macliam
Posts: 8416
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1341 times
Been thanked: 6642 times
Contact:

Re: Driving License Photocard renewal

Post by macliam » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 pm

OK, that "explains" the fee structure...... but not why it's seen as OK to discriminate against those without a UK passport!

I'll be using the PO anyway - then they can have the faff of ensuring the photo is OK...... well worth the extra methinks. Only issue now is to arrange a visit to the PO with enough time to queue.....
Thanked by: expressman33
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny
Posts: 1760
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 483 times
Been thanked: 1407 times
Contact:

Re: Driving License Photocard renewal

Post by pabenny » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:43 am

Maybe using a UK passport also saves cost because DVLA can rely on verification carried out by the Passport Office?

You can do DIY passport photos via ePassportPhoto.com. Take your own picture. Retake as many times as you need to get it right; upload to the site then download a sheet you can print at Boots or wherever for about 50p. You may have to change settings from US to UK and it tries to propel you to buying their print, but you can still do it very cheaply.

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24814
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 3278 times
Contact:

Re: Driving License Photocard renewal

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:45 am

macliam wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 pm
OK, that "explains" the fee structure...... but not why it's seen as OK to discriminate against those without a UK passport!

I'll be using the PO anyway - then they can have the faff of ensuring the photo is OK...... well worth the extra methinks. Only issue now is to arrange a visit to the PO with enough time to queue.....
The use of a passport is for the purposes of authenticating your identity.

Anything else you are suspicious about and I shall guide you to a good nights sleep.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

macliam
Posts: 8416
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1341 times
Been thanked: 6642 times
Contact:

Re: Driving License Photocard renewal

Post by macliam » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:02 am

Chunder, are you trying to emulate another of our colleagues for vacuus posts?
It is not "a passport" that us required, only a British passport - are you suggesting anyone without one is not able to authenticate their identity? I accept that this is a means of using the passport ID verification process, but, due to the lack of a valid universal ID system, it still applies an 80/20 rule and leaves those without one at a disadvantage, whether or not they are British citizens.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 24814
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 186 times
Been thanked: 3278 times
Contact:

Re: Driving License Photocard renewal

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:19 pm

macliam wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:02 am
Chunder, are you trying to emulate another of our colleagues for vacuus posts?
It is not "a passport" that us required, only a British passport - are you suggesting anyone without one is not able to authenticate their identity? I accept that this is a means of using the passport ID verification process, but, due to the lack of a valid universal ID system, it still applies an 80/20 rule and leaves those without one at a disadvantage, whether or not they are British citizens.
I'm sure there is some rule somewhere for some reason that the ID has to be a British passport.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Chadwick
Posts: 1873
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 889 times
Been thanked: 2020 times
Contact:

Re: Driving License Photocard renewal

Post by Chadwick » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:28 pm

macliam wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 pm
OK, that "explains" the fee structure...... but not why it's seen as OK to discriminate against those without a UK passport!
I don't think it's discrimination against those who don't hold a UK passport. It's just that if you do have one, you've already validated your identity in a system approved by the UK government, and they can reuse that verification for your driving licence. The cost saving is passed on.

macliam
Posts: 8416
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1341 times
Been thanked: 6642 times
Contact:

Re: Driving License Photocard renewal

Post by macliam » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Chadwick wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:28 pm
macliam wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 pm
OK, that "explains" the fee structure...... but not why it's seen as OK to discriminate against those without a UK passport!
I don't think it's discrimination against those who don't hold a UK passport. It's just that if you do have one, you've already validated your identity in a system approved by the UK government, and they can reuse that verification for your driving licence. The cost saving is passed on.
OK, makes sense. However, it is presented as the primary approach....... meaning those without a passport are disadvantaged. It's all about the emphasis.....
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

pabenny
Posts: 1760
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 483 times
Been thanked: 1407 times
Contact:

Re: Driving License Photocard renewal

Post by pabenny » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:54 pm

The page on gov.uk presents the fees in an entirely neutral way: there's a table of fees showing online and postal rates. Various categories cannot be renewed online - not just those without a UK passport.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests