What Are You Stockpiling for Coronavirus?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Sarah

Re: What Are You Stockpiling for Coronavirus?

Post by Sarah » Wed Mar 11 2020 9:48am

It's a new irregular verb...

I'm just buying what I need! :thumbup:
He/she's stockpiling! :shock:
They're panic buying! :thumbdown:
Thanked by: blythburgh, Chadwick, pabenny

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Mar 11 2020 10:19am

We bought an extra packet of pasta at the corner shop, a packet of frozen potato, one more pack of 9 loo rolls to go with the opened pack of nine we have and three tins of tuna.

Apart from that we bought enough of tinned, frozen, packet stuff that would replace what we had run out of.

The pasta we bought at the corner shop as there was none in Tesco. As a staff member said "it was like Christmas here this morning".

'im indoors has a lower immune system and breathing problems so we have to be more careful than many.

Enough food in the house to keep us going for a while, can get stuff from the milkman (in our case it is a man) if necessary. Never know when illness or weather will stop us going out so keep a well stocked but not overstocked store cupboard.

And like macliam we help a 92 year old housebound neighbour along with another neighbour we do her shopping and share dog walking with the other neighbour, her hairdresser on her weekly visits and the volunteer from The Cinnamon Trust meaning the pooch gets 2 walks some days.

Just doing stuff like sorting out the bird bath as well like we always have done.

Sadly not filling up the bird feeders as a house nearby, the garden of which backs onto my neighbour's with just a walkway between has been empty for many, many years now has rats in it which are coming into the garden of my neighbour. Council are informed but we both wonder where the letters are going. To the abandoned house, the owner's house in the west of the town or the council flat in London which she and her late husband took on after her Mum died. When asked by our friend (they have been friends for years) she said she could not talk about it or she would have a panic attack and succeeded in knocking bell off door frame. She then left after refusing to pick up bell let alone offering to pay for a new one if it was broken.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Mar 11 2020 10:34am

Must admit we also got a big load of fresh food on Monday. Enough fruit and the veg like sweet potatoes etc that we do not keep in the freezer. Bought enough to last until next big shop day on the following Monday.

We do keep a variety of vegetables in the freezer so we can have what we fancy without chucking out the unused bits if we bought them fresh.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Oggy

Post by Oggy » Wed Mar 11 2020 11:34am

Wine! :lol: :lol: :lol:

gle1975

Post by gle1975 » Wed Mar 11 2020 12:01pm

I went to Tesco yesterday to buy some dried spaghetti (one pack as usual) and all the dried pasta had been sold.

Maybe the people who have bought all that pasta will pop it in the food bank soon so it will not be wasted.

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Mar 11 2020 12:18pm

Off immediate topic (there's a first!), but a little item you might miss.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has put numbers against the COVID-19 threat to Ireland.

Announcing plans for tackling the impact of the virus in view of a number of cases of people infected locally by contact with earlier victims, he said the worst-case scenario could see 85,000 people die from COVID-19 in Ireland. That's 85,000 from a population of 5 million - which extrapolates to over a million for the UK!!

Varadkar was asked about projections that the virus could impact 50-60% of the population, according to estimates based on what had been learned from other countries. He agreed that mathematical modelling suggested that this could be the case and that "a percentage that we don’t know, we honestly don’t know yet – it could be less than 1pc, it could be as much as 3pc – or 3.4pc – mortality. We don’t know yet.......But when you’re talking about one, two, or three per cent, of half the population, those are very big figures"

For the UK that would suggest over 1 million deaths - however the UK population median age is slightly higher than that of Ireland at 40.5 against 36.8, with a higher percentage over 65 (18% to 14%). Even at the low-end of mortality rates this would give a toll of 350,000 for the UK, that's the population of Leicester, or Cardiff, or Belfast.

Let's keep washing our hands!!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Wed Mar 11 2020 12:33pm

macliam wrote:
Wed Mar 11 2020 12:18pm
Off immediate topic (there's a first!), but a little item you might miss.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has put numbers against the COVID-19 threat to Ireland.

Announcing plans for tackling the impact of the virus in view of a number of cases of people infected locally by contact with earlier victims, he said the worst-case scenario could see 85,000 people die from COVID-19 in Ireland. That's 85,000 from a population of 5 million - which extrapolates to over a million for the UK!!

Varadkar was asked about projections that the virus could impact 50-60% of the population, according to estimates based on what had been learned from other countries. He agreed that mathematical modelling suggested that this could be the case and that "a percentage that we don’t know, we honestly don’t know yet – it could be less than 1pc, it could be as much as 3pc – or 3.4pc – mortality. We don’t know yet.......But when you’re talking about one, two, or three per cent, of half the population, those are very big figures"

For the UK that would suggest over 1 million deaths - however the UK population median age is slightly higher than that of Ireland at 40.5 against 36.8, with a higher percentage over 65 (18% to 14%). Even at the low-end of mortality rates this would give a toll of 350,000 for the UK, that's the population of Leicester, or Cardiff, or Belfast.

Let's keep washing our hands!!
And let's keep watching our stockpiling!!
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Mar 11 2020 2:05pm

Still not started on the mega-bargain 120 rolls of toilet tissue that I picked up with the Groupon £10 bonus promotion back in September, so I don't expect to be running short for several years yet... :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=87620&p=241529&hili ... on#p241529

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Mar 11 2020 2:23pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51839106
Biggest daily increase in daily cases in the UK, 83 more on Tuesday, bringing the total so far to 456.

keep smiling..... :shifty:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Mar 11 2020 2:26pm

macliam wrote:
Wed Mar 11 2020 12:18pm
Varadkar was asked about projections that the virus could impact 50-60% of the population, according to estimates based on what had been learned from other countries.
I've heard this 60% figure a couple of times this week. Where does it come from?

Currently, Italy is leading the field with 0.02% of the population infected.
But people are predicting up to 60%?