What Are You Stockpiling for Coronavirus?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
macliam

Re: What Are You Stockpiling for Coronavirus?

Post by macliam » Sun Mar 22 2020 2:23pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Sun Mar 22 2020 1:07pm
Oggy wrote:
Sun Mar 22 2020 12:47pm
Stores should lock up trolleys and force customers to use a basket. Panic buying solved. Simples...
Supermarkets are not a State Company and they are in the business of making money from selling commodities; only their social responsibility will change things but even then not if it stands in the way of making a profit - such is the way of the world. :wave:
No, such is the way of the UK. Other countries seem to have made a better job of addressing shopping issues.

SWMBO tells me that the local supermarket in Portugal instituted changes in face of panic buying.

Firstly, they reduced the opening hours and split the day into 2 halves, with a two-hour break to restock shelves (and in case of staff shortages).

Secondly, they repositioned their store security to the front doors and only allow 40 people in the shop at any one time - then it's one-out, one-in. The security also "encourage" people queueing to keep at least 1 metre apart.

Thirdly, they have limited the number of any one type of item - so the store throughput is quicker.

She says she had to wait 20 minutes to get into the store, but when she did, most things were on the shelves (I hope so, she still managed to spend €80!!!)
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sun Mar 22 2020 3:52pm

macliam wrote:
Sun Mar 22 2020 2:23pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Sun Mar 22 2020 1:07pm
Oggy wrote:
Sun Mar 22 2020 12:47pm
Stores should lock up trolleys and force customers to use a basket. Panic buying solved. Simples...
Supermarkets are not a State Company and they are in the business of making money from selling commodities; only their social responsibility will change things but even then not if it stands in the way of making a profit - such is the way of the world. :wave:
No, such is the way of the UK. Other countries seem to have made a better job of addressing shopping issues.

SWMBO tells me that the local supermarket in Portugal instituted changes in face of panic buying.

Firstly, they reduced the opening hours and split the day into 2 halves, with a two-hour break to restock shelves (and in case of staff shortages).

Secondly, they repositioned their store security to the front doors and only allow 40 people in the shop at any one time - then it's one-out, one-in. The security also "encourage" people queueing to keep at least 1 metre apart.

Thirdly, they have limited the number of any one type of item - so the store throughput is quicker.

She says she had to wait 20 minutes to get into the store, but when she did, most things were on the shelves (I hope so, she still managed to spend €80!!!)
Business is business and the supermarkets must answer to their shareholders.
Thanked by: Boro Boy
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Mar 22 2020 4:46pm

Going back to something posted early on
kevinchess1 wrote:
Tue Mar 10 2020 9:05pm
I’m stock piling the thing that is in really short supply

COMMON SENSE
Unfortunately, stocks seem to have run out and now some people desperately need some. :roll:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Mon Mar 23 2020 8:53pm

What was just announced?

If you’re just joining us, UK PM Boris Johnson has just announced a major ramping up of coronavirus measures.

Here are the major points of his speech:

From tonight, people in Britain will be allowed to leave their homes for only “very limited purposes” - shopping for basic necessities; for one form of exercise a day; for any medical need; and to travel to and from work when “absolutely necessary”
People are warned not to meet friends or family members who they do not live with
Shopping is only permitted for essentials like food and medicine, and people are advised to do it “as little as you can”
Police have powers to enforce the rules, including through fines and dispersing gatherings
All shops selling non-essential goods, such as clothing and electronic stores, are ordered to close
Libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and places of worship are to close
All gatherings of more than two people in public - excluding people you live with - are banned
All social events, including weddings and baptisms are banned
Funerals are not included in the new restrictions
Parks will remain open for exercise but gatherings will be dispersed
Restrictions “under constant review” and will be checked again in three weeks. They will be relaxed “if the evidence shows we are able to”
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52000039

Yes I stockpiled.

Yes I stayed at home.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Mar 24 2020 9:42am

typical I'm alright post from the Thunderbox (not misspelt name, just check Aussie slang)
Thanked by: Chadwick
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Mar 24 2020 10:48am

A friend posted me a pm. She can only go out if she uses a taxi due to various health problems. Lives in a block of 4 flats.

A neighbour in the street gave (man across hall) 4 toilet rolls and asked if I need any. So kind 😊
I have 4 so declined but it really warmed my heart.

Has four rolls for one person. Wonder how many per head others have? We have 6 because we buy 9 packs and bought a top up one before the great loo roll rush started.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue Mar 24 2020 11:55am

blythburgh wrote:
Tue Mar 24 2020 10:48am
A friend posted me a pm. She can only go out if she uses a taxi due to various health problems. Lives in a block of 4 flats.

A neighbour in the street gave (man across hall) 4 toilet rolls and asked if I need any. So kind 😊
I have 4 so declined but it really warmed my heart.

Has four rolls for one person. Wonder how many per head others have? We have 6 because we buy 9 packs and bought a top up one before the great loo roll rush started.
So like me, you also stockpiled.

pakefield

Post by pakefield » Tue Mar 24 2020 6:31pm

We always buy one a nine pack when we open one. Not stockpiling but keeping a good store cupboard in case of bad weather or illness. Now we will wait until we really need to before we order more. If we can get an online shopping slot of course. But no doubt they will be in the proposed Morrisons £30 boxes

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Mar 28 2020 1:36am

...but its not all about stockpiling is it: who has been in a resturant, café etc. lately? No one has cut back on the amount of food they eat so if they are not buying it in restaurants, cafés then we each are buying more than normal from supermarkets...?

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sat Mar 28 2020 9:18am

"Tesco restricts online orders to 80 items each"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52051498