Corona Virus Hero's

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Boro Boy

Corona Virus Hero's

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Mar 25 2020 10:30pm

Big, big thank you to the enterprising team at Leon Restaurants chain... :thumbup:

Not only are they feeding the local community but NHS teams and now its being enterprising, their restaurants are diversifying and turning part of each branch into shops, selling essential: milk, tomatoes, eggs, flour, loo rolls(!) as well as their usual feasts, all to the local community. They are not profiteering merely being enterprising and keeping people in work, as such they should be applauded - 2 x 4 Loo Rolls for £3...!!! unheard of and allocating profits to NHS - amazing!

So a big, big thanks to Leon Restaurants (see: https://leon.co/restaurants ) from me! :clap:

BeautifulSunshine

Re: Corona Virus Hero's

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu Mar 26 2020 7:10am

Respect Leon Restaurants.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Thu Mar 26 2020 3:22pm

Well this thread was made for hero's but I guess it is ok to mention the anti-hero's or Villains at this time as well...

I would never have thought this a few days ago but my Villains of the crisis are the Co-op!!! :thumbdown:

Yes the Co-op! That organisation that spouts that it is at the centre of the community and "...we support our local community!" Has shut all three branches near me in Central London; I am/was lucky enough to be in the centre of three local branches:
  • St Paul's
    Ludgate Circus
    Moorgate
All within a maximum of 15mins walk to the furthest but all have been closed and looking in the windows I'm guessing the way they have been cleared this is not an overnight closure! Co-op helps make the crisis a little bit bigger!

Are Co-op branches closing near you?

Thank heavens for M&S, Tesco & Sainsburys' (& Leon Resturants)!!! :thumbup:
Thanked by: kevinchess1

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Thu Mar 26 2020 9:06pm

My local Coop has reduced opening hours but is still open
I don't think any of them are closed around here
Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Mar 27 2020 2:39pm

More Hero's :thumbup:
Football vs Corona Virus.jpg
Football Vs Corona Virus
Football vs Corona Virus.jpg (161.17 KiB) Viewed 1257 times

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Mar 27 2020 5:11pm

Co-op branches in the City of London

Clearly there will be hardly anyone working there anymore. Whilst I sympathise with your plight, I guess there were so few customers remaining that the stores became unviable.
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Fri Mar 27 2020 6:14pm

pabenny wrote:
Fri Mar 27 2020 5:11pm
Co-op branches in the City of London

Clearly there will be hardly anyone working there anymore. Whilst I sympathise with your plight, I guess there were so few customers remaining that the stores became unviable.
Don't prove how little you know...

Whilst the population of the City swells on any normal working day it also has an established residential population in places like the Barbican and surrounding areas. These same shops are open, working normal shop hours and populated with customers on any normal weekend. Besides M&S, Sainsbury's, Tesco's (and of course Leon Restaurants) see fit to remain open to support its local customers. Very disappointed in Coop as their actions go against its strap line of supporting its local community!

Your above statement was obviously a guess based on the stereotype that the City presents but that is far from the truth.

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Mar 28 2020 10:37am

NHS Logo.jpg
NHS
NHS Logo.jpg (4.36 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Thanked by: kevinchess1

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Mar 28 2020 5:19pm

Latest update: I thought hooray when I saw what I thought were Co-op staff in the nearest Co-op branch to me... but low and behold they were dismantling everything, shelves etc. Looks like: "Co-op drives a stake into the heart of this local community!"

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sun Mar 29 2020 9:54am

Boro Boy wrote:
Sat Mar 28 2020 5:19pm
Latest update: I thought hooray when I saw what I thought were Co-op staff in the nearest Co-op branch to me... but low and behold they were dismantling everything, shelves etc. Looks like: "Co-op drives a stake into the heart of this local community!"
Was the Co-op always planning to close this branch due to high overheads and low footfall?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler