Coronavirus/COVID-19

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
Boro Boy

...this crisis has laid bare an economy where the vast majority are one missed paycheck away from financial turmoil...

Post by Boro Boy » Wed Apr 01 2020 8:10pm

...this crisis has laid bare an economy where the vast majority are one missed paycheck away from financial turmoil...: https://www.futurebuild.co.uk/industry- ... uturebuild :think:
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

expressman33

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19

Post by expressman33 » Thu Apr 02 2020 12:57pm

How long do you stay contagious?
People who have symptoms of coronavirus could be contagious for up to a fortnight after they have recovered, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned.
Those who display symptoms of the virus, which include a fever and a new continuous cough, are thought to be contagious for at least seven days from the first signs.
However, people who have recovered from the virus and are no longer displaying any symptoms could still remain contagious for up to two weeks.As such, the WHO has warned that quarantine measures should be extended for a further fortnight after recovery as people may still be contagious.
Based on this new guidance, it could mean that some people will be in quarantine for up to a month.
WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a press conference in Geneva: “People infected with Covid-19 can still infect others after they stop feeling sick, so these measures should continue for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear.
“Visitors should not be allowed until the end of this period.” https://inews.co.uk/news/health/coronav ... U9wEe69MU0
Thanked by: blythburgh

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Apr 02 2020 1:33pm

Eddie Large dies of coronavirus - Little And Large comedian dead aged 78 - https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity- ... IkW_oFsPC4
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Re: ...this crisis has laid bare an economy where the vast majority are one missed paycheck away from financial turmoil.

Post by macliam » Thu Apr 02 2020 2:24pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Apr 01 2020 8:10pm
...this crisis has laid bare an economy where the vast majority are one missed paycheck away from financial turmoil...: https://www.futurebuild.co.uk/industry- ... uturebuild :think:
Agreed, but "in the old days" people set money aside for a rainy day - particularly immigrants.

Nowadays, never mind only spending what you earn, people have maxed out credit and overdrafts in order to fund holidays, cars and other "necessities". This has been known and warned aginst for some time......
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Thu Apr 02 2020 5:03pm

I read that, in Germany, they have given 5,000 Euros to all the self employed people :shock:
I suspect, they remember the last time, a frustrated painter changed careers :o
Thanked by: macliam, blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu Apr 02 2020 5:24pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Thu Apr 02 2020 5:03pm
I read that, in Germany, they have given 5,000 Euros to all the self employed people :shock:
Very clever the way you wrote that.
Thanked by: kevinchess1
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Apr 02 2020 6:47pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Thu Apr 02 2020 5:03pm
The sickness befits and unemployment payments in Ireland are far, far higher than in the UK. it depends on the economy and the conditions of the payment - I doubt VERY much that EVERY self-employed person in Germany has been given €50000, or if so that self-employment there means the same as here.

The other man's grass is always greener.......
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Apr 02 2020 11:01pm

A bit late for 01/04 but show your kids this Image

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Thu Apr 02 2020 11:56pm

To pass the time, I'm catching up with my books and I am re reading 'The Diary of Anne Franks.' :shock:

Stuck in the house, away from society, by an authoritarian regime, which is why I'm reading books :thumbup:
Politically incorrect since 69

blythburgh

Re: ...this crisis has laid bare an economy where the vast majority are one missed paycheck away from financial turmoil.

Post by blythburgh » Fri Apr 03 2020 8:57am

macliam wrote:
Thu Apr 02 2020 2:24pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Wed Apr 01 2020 8:10pm
Agreed, but "in the old days" people set money aside for a rainy day - particularly immigrants.

Nowadays, never mind only spending what you earn, people have maxed out credit and overdrafts in order to fund holidays, cars and other "necessities". This has been known and warned aginst for some time......
Not everyone is spending on "necessities" like a holiday etc. Far too many on zero hours contracts have to use overdraft/credit card to pay for essentials like food and school uniforms because not enough was earned in that month.

A friend of a neighbour split from her cheating partner and moved to a new rented house near her parents. Very useful for a single Mum of a toddler currently doing 12 hour shifts as she is a nurse. Her previous house had a no pets rule. The house was left in perfect and spotless condition. But a builder had to do a small repair to the rear door (not the lady's fault) and found a cat hair. Shock horror the lady had her cat with her for a few days until she could get it rehomed. The owner (or her agent) had kept a record of the cat hair and when she left the house was told her deposit was to be docked by £400 as she had a cat for less than a week in the property. She could only get enough for the deposit on the new house with help from her parents. She is not a flighty spendthrift but has been on maternity leave and not back at work for too long. She did have a holiday booked but that had to be cancelled. A holiday she could only afford by going with her parents and sharing the cost of the holiday home.

And remember a car is not always a luxury, for some it is the only way they can get to work
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler