Corona Virus Hero's

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Chadwick

Re: Corona Virus Hero's

Post by Chadwick » Sat Apr 04 2020 12:55pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Sat Apr 04 2020 2:45am
Heros or Villains? How Iran is handling the Corona Virus: https://observers.france24.com/en/20200 ... 2463152530 :thumbdown:
Not just Iran...
Welcome to America.
https://youtu.be/OSIrQBGfUtw
Thanked by: blythburgh

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sat Apr 04 2020 1:10pm

Chadwick wrote:
Sat Apr 04 2020 12:55pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Heros or Villains? How Iran is handling the Corona Virus: https://observers.france24.com/en/20200 ... 2463152530 :thumbdown:
Not just Iran...
Welcome to America.
… what was the name of those two guys off the muppet show..??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Apr 06 2020 12:07pm

Back to heroes. I think it's a good idea to celebrate the little acts of kindness that are happening every day.

For example, some kids round the corner chalked a rainbow across the road (quiet cul-de-sac). It kept them occupied, made me smile, I think they enjoyed getting a thumbs up as I passed, and I hope it has given other people a brief moment of happiness that they wouldn't have had otherwise. It's tiny and insignificant, but I'm glad they did it.

I'm also nominating the good Lady Chadwick, who is a pharmacy dispenser. She's working 10 hour days, 5 days a week and they can only keep up with demand by working voluntarily on Saturday mornings. Which they do, because they consider it more important to get the medicine out than to get paid. They were sent (eventually) 100 masks and some aprons. The masks ran out within a week (they're only effective for half an hour). They have literally barricaded themselves inside the pharmacy with a table across the door where they serve the customers in a comical step-forwards-step-back dance. They will be open on Good Friday and Easter Monday - unpaid. Every day they receive more emails with new guidance, advice etc, which they barely have time to read. The phone rings constantly with people asking if/when they're open (normal hours), do they have precautions (yes) and do they have paracetamol/hand gel/masks/toilet roll. The pharmacist spends half his time trying to source stock which is constantly increasing in price and sometimes doesn't arrive anyway.

I'm sure the same story is being played out at every community pharmacy. Remember them when you're clapping on Thursday.

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon Apr 06 2020 12:50pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Sat Apr 04 2020 1:10pm
Chadwick wrote:
Sat Apr 04 2020 12:55pm
Boro Boy wrote:
Not just Iran...
Welcome to America.
… what was the name of those two guys off the muppet show..??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Starler and Waldorf. Little known fact, they named the salad after him
Politically incorrect since 69

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Mon Apr 06 2020 2:02pm

Chadwick wrote:
Mon Apr 06 2020 12:07pm
Back to heroes. I think it's a good idea to celebrate the little acts of kindness that are happening every day.

For example, some kids round the corner chalked a rainbow across the road (quiet cul-de-sac). It kept them occupied, made me smile, I think they enjoyed getting a thumbs up as I passed, and I hope it has given other people a brief moment of happiness that they wouldn't have had otherwise. It's tiny and insignificant, but I'm glad they did it.

I'm also nominating the good Lady Chadwick, who is a pharmacy dispenser. She's working 10 hour days, 5 days a week and they can only keep up with demand by working voluntarily on Saturday mornings. Which they do, because they consider it more important to get the medicine out than to get paid. They were sent (eventually) 100 masks and some aprons. The masks ran out within a week (they're only effective for half an hour). They have literally barricaded themselves inside the pharmacy with a table across the door where they serve the customers in a comical step-forwards-step-back dance. They will be open on Good Friday and Easter Monday - unpaid. Every day they receive more emails with new guidance, advice etc, which they barely have time to read. The phone rings constantly with people asking if/when they're open (normal hours), do they have precautions (yes) and do they have paracetamol/hand gel/masks/toilet roll. The pharmacist spends half his time trying to source stock which is constantly increasing in price and sometimes doesn't arrive anyway.

I'm sure the same story is being played out at every community pharmacy. Remember them when you're clapping on Thursday.
Every respect Lady Chadwick.
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Apr 06 2020 4:28pm

And the same is being repeated in more or less every pharmacy in the land.

Many many acts of quiet heroism by people who would just say they're getting on with their job and not see themselves as heroic.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Tue Apr 07 2020 7:34am

And people cannot get on the Govt's vulnerable list. In one FB group I belong to lady has asthma, getting over pneumonia and her son is autistic and not coping at all well with the situation. But she is not on the vulnerable list. Worried how she will get her meds. I posted to contact pharmacy for home delivery.

According to BBC news many in this situation including transplant patients.

If they are on the list the supermarkets will make sure they get food delivery slots. Morrisons do a £30 essentials box but the lady on FB needs dairy and soya free stuff for health reasons not as a fad.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Sun Apr 12 2020 3:23pm

Still our heroes:

NHS.jpg
NHS Heroes
NHS.jpg (55.28 KiB) Viewed 1507 times

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Apr 12 2020 8:21pm

Boro Boy wrote:
Sun Apr 12 2020 3:23pm
Still our heroes:

NHS.jpg
Rare praise - Good one, worth sharing.

Bad news today was hearing an attempt to monetize the Clap for Carers campaign by saying that doing it as a message would make it more worthwhile. Cost per message, message cost + £5.

It's not the NHS, it's not the frontline staff, it's a setup I've never heard of before and I know nothing about. Now I'm not saying that people shouldn't help the NHS - but that seems to me to be trying to "blackmail" donations by suggesting "If you really care you'll give money". Not everybody can and £5 each time and it's a lot for some.

So if they want donations, they should ask for them, not just hijack a spontaneous outburst.

Just my opinion.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Apr 12 2020 8:51pm

If you want to support the NHS, read the parties' manifestos carefully at the next election and decide how important the NHS is to you, compared to other issues. If you're willing to sacrifice the NHS to secure some other goal, vote accordingly. If you think the NHS has been (literally) a life-saver and its staff are acting bravely and should be rewarded and encouraged, vote accordingly.