40 stores to close... (part 4)

Money, investing, mutuals etc
AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 25625
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 3460 times
Contact:

Re: 40 stores to close... (part 4)

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:27 pm

expressman33 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:46 pm
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:13 am
pabenny wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:58 am


Actually went into administration on 9 April.

I can't see anyone being willing to take on any of the business for that future day when the high street re-opens. The (mostly) large and prominent stores will leave significant gaps.
RIP.

Covid-19 looks like the last nail in the coffin for the High Street.
Debenhams strikes deals to rescue most stores
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52330268
Good news and I look forward to, hopefully, more good news for the High Street.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

planteria
Posts: 5454
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 346 times
Been thanked: 1179 times
Contact:

Re: 40 stores to close... (part 4)

Post by planteria » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:50 am

Debenhams surviving all of this and continuing with 100 or more stores would be good for the nation's high streets.. but i can't help thinking it's still on the way down regardless of this news. do many folks here shop there? i bought a pillow in a department store in Dublin last Easter weekend. we haven't been in a department store in the year since.
Thanked by: blythburgh

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 25625
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 3460 times
Contact:

Re: 40 stores to close... (part 4)

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:38 pm

planteria wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:50 am
Debenhams surviving all of this and continuing with 100 or more stores would be good for the nation's high streets.. but i can't help thinking it's still on the way down regardless of this news. do many folks here shop there? i bought a pillow in a department store in Dublin last Easter weekend. we haven't been in a department store in the year since.
The prices are not competitive so I don't even go in.
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 25625
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 3460 times
Contact:

Re: 40 stores to close... (part 4)

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:30 pm

Oasis and Warehouse go into administration - Your Rights @MSE

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... istration/
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

Boro Boy
Posts: 5048
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 pm
Location: London
Has thanked: 982 times
Been thanked: 2011 times

Re: 40 stores to close... (part 4)

Post by Boro Boy » Wed May 06, 2020 7:12 pm

The olde household names fall away and more to come I think... https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/u ... d=msedgntp :thumbdown:
Thanked by: blythburgh

planteria
Posts: 5454
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 346 times
Been thanked: 1179 times
Contact:

Re: 40 stores to close... (part 4)

Post by planteria » Thu May 07, 2020 8:05 am

fwiw i think they could still open one or more of those five stores.. Hammerson aren't playing ball with them, so they're putting them under pressure by announcing that they won't reopen. the landlords are in trouble with their tennants really, as those spaces will lie empty, and without their anchor tennants the centres are likely to struggle.

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 25625
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 3460 times
Contact:

Re: 40 stores to close... (part 4)

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Thu May 07, 2020 8:20 am

planteria wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:05 am
fwiw i think they could still open one or more of those five stores.. Hammerson aren't playing ball with them, so they're putting them under pressure by announcing that they won't reopen. the landlords are in trouble with their tennants really, as those spaces will lie empty, and without their anchor tennants the centres are likely to struggle.
Exactly right your are, without the deep pocket big stores the shopping centres will become economically nonviable.

In the worst case scenario, convert the whole shopping centre into posh apartments.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

planteria
Posts: 5454
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 346 times
Been thanked: 1179 times
Contact:

Re: 40 stores to close... (part 4)

Post by planteria » Thu May 07, 2020 8:36 am

i like the idea that that would be a formality..
the anchor tennants, be they department stores or major grocers, are essential to most of these shopping centres. and town centres, for that matter.
Thanked by: blythburgh

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 25625
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 3460 times
Contact:

Re: 40 stores to close... (part 4)

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Thu May 07, 2020 1:29 pm

planteria wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:36 am
i like the idea that that would be a formality..
the anchor tennants, be they department stores or major grocers, are essential to most of these shopping centres. and town centres, for that matter.
Indeed, but the flipside is that you end up with "clone towns" with the same old same old big names.

I like to travel around the old English market towns and I have a particular interest in the charity shops. I am a Man of my word:
Many a time I have stumbled upon hidden gems that are worth exigently more than I paid for them.
Thanked by: blythburgh
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

planteria
Posts: 5454
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: Going down the Wednesbury Road
Has thanked: 346 times
Been thanked: 1179 times
Contact:

Re: 40 stores to close... (part 4)

Post by planteria » Thu May 07, 2020 7:25 pm

i don't think you've used your word properly AAAT.. despite your apparent proudness :)
Thanked by: blythburgh

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest