Is this poll frightening?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Is this poll frightening?

Post by blythburgh » Mon May 11 2020 9:18am

OK so it is just a 1pt daily poll from Rewards1. A site which has members in many different countries but most will be in North America and Europe, especially the Britain and Ireland. But I still find the results pretty bad.

Daily from May 09
Is democracy important?
Yes. (82% )
No. (8% )
Unsure. (10% )

Nearly one in five do not think democracy is important to them.

OK you could argue that the voting system is biased against democracy with our first past the post results. Not making voting mandatory could also be argued goes against democracy. And you can certainly argue that the media in any country can work against it by pushing one side of the news and twisting things around. I would say that the right wing media especially in this country poisoned the minds of too many people against the EU and immigrants. But that is nothing compared to how the media is controlled in other countries by the Govt.

But surely for all its faults democracy is the "best of the worst". And by not voting you are saying democracy does not work. I once had a local election with two candidates neither of whom I could support so went and put none of the above on my ballot paper.
Thanked by: Richard Frost, kevinchess1
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Re: Is this poll frightening?

Post by Sarah » Mon May 11 2020 11:55am

Well, just because 18% of respondents didn't select the pro-democracy option, that doesn't necessarily indicate they don't want democracy. Some could have protest-voted against because they don't feel their system really offers as much democracy as they believe it should (or for other reasons) and in any poll a fair percentage of people won't have responded in alignment with their real views, because of privacy concerns, they didn't read the question properly, misunderstood the question, accidentally selected the wrong option, or responded randomly to get onto the next question as quickly as possible, etc.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Mon May 11 2020 7:55pm

Sarah wrote:
Mon May 11 2020 11:55am
Well, just because 18% of respondents didn't select the pro-democracy option, that doesn't necessarily indicate they don't want democracy. Some could have protest-voted against because they don't feel their system really offers as much democracy as they believe it should (or for other reasons) and in any poll a fair percentage of people won't have responded in alignment with their real views, because of privacy concerns, they didn't read the question properly, misunderstood the question, accidentally selected the wrong option, or responded randomly to get onto the next question as quickly as possible, etc.
+1
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon May 11 2020 10:02pm

Sarah wrote:
Mon May 11 2020 11:55am
Well, just because 18% of respondents didn't select the pro-democracy option, that doesn't necessarily indicate they don't want democracy. Some could have protest-voted against because they don't feel their system really offers as much democracy as they believe it should (or for other reasons)

... any poll a fair percentage of people won't have responded in alignment with their real views, because of privacy concerns, they didn't read the question properly, misunderstood the question, accidentally selected the wrong option, or responded randomly to get onto the next question as quickly as possible, etc.

Yes but that could applied to the 'Pro' voters as well
Thanked by: blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Mon May 11 2020 11:55pm

I agree, inaccuracies are likely to affect all options.
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue May 12 2020 8:35am

Given that there are relatively few elections with voluntary participation where turnout reaches 82%, I think that's a pretty good result.
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue May 12 2020 7:28pm

pabenny wrote:
Tue May 12 2020 8:35am
Given that there are relatively few elections with voluntary participation where turnout reaches 82%, I think that's a pretty good result.
There was an incentive to vote.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]