Messages Limits

planteria
Posts: 5512
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: England
Has thanked: 355 times
Been thanked: 1197 times
Contact:

Messages Limits

Post by planteria » Mon May 25, 2020 2:27 pm

any way i can have the limit on my messages increased please? :think:
Thanked by: blythburgh

AAAlphaThunder
Posts: 26107
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Location: [The Finest City in the World: London]
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 3557 times
Contact:

Re: Messages Limits

Post by AAAlphaThunder » Mon May 25, 2020 4:36 pm

planteria wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:27 pm
any way i can have the limit on my messages increased please? :think:
It's a global setting, the same for everyone. Unless Richard increases everyone's limit.
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1
[Secretary] imutual Cashback Investment Club

richard@imutual
Posts: 4773
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:19 am
Sharing: 3stars.png
Has thanked: 1836 times
Been thanked: 3743 times
Contact:

Re: Messages Limits

Post by richard@imutual » Tue May 26, 2020 8:19 am

Do you mean private messages? Or posts?
Thanked by: blythburgh

planteria
Posts: 5512
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: England
Has thanked: 355 times
Been thanked: 1197 times
Contact:

Re: Messages Limits

Post by planteria » Tue May 26, 2020 8:26 am

private messages.
Thanked by: blythburgh

richard@imutual
Posts: 4773
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:19 am
Sharing: 3stars.png
Has thanked: 1836 times
Been thanked: 3743 times
Contact:

Re: Messages Limits

Post by richard@imutual » Tue May 26, 2020 9:59 am

You need to delete old ones. There is a limit per member in order to keep the database from getting too large and slowing the forum
Thanked by: kevinchess1

planteria
Posts: 5512
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Location: England
Has thanked: 355 times
Been thanked: 1197 times
Contact:

Re: Messages Limits

Post by planteria » Tue May 26, 2020 12:07 pm

thank you, i'd thought of that.

MP3746
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:48 am
Has thanked: 169 times
Been thanked: 191 times
Contact:

Re: Messages Limits

Post by MP3746 » Tue May 26, 2020 12:44 pm

richard@imutual wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:59 am
You need to delete old ones. There is a limit per member in order to keep the database from getting too large and slowing the forum
I can assure you that the amount of messages will not impact on performance, otherwise Facebook with its 2 billion+ users would have ground to a halt by now. The database tables need to be indexed and a primary key to be set to the member id while data is fetched by pagination is the way to keep performance at a high level.
Thanked by: planteria

macliam
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1399 times
Been thanked: 7302 times
Contact:

Re: Messages Limits

Post by macliam » Tue May 26, 2020 2:09 pm

MP3746 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:44 pm
richard@imutual wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:59 am
You need to delete old ones. There is a limit per member in order to keep the database from getting too large and slowing the forum
I can assure you that the amount of messages will not impact on performance, otherwise Facebook with its 2 billion+ users would have ground to a halt by now. The database tables need to be indexed and a primary key to be set to the member id while data is fetched by pagination is the way to keep performance at a high level.
Horses for courses, user data is Facebook's raison d'etre, whereas imutual is a cashback system. How do you think a database normally works, if not by use of indexed tables?
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

MP3746
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:48 am
Has thanked: 169 times
Been thanked: 191 times
Contact:

Re: Messages Limits

Post by MP3746 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:22 pm

macliam wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:09 pm
MP3746 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:44 pm
richard@imutual wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:59 am
You need to delete old ones. There is a limit per member in order to keep the database from getting too large and slowing the forum
I can assure you that the amount of messages will not impact on performance, otherwise Facebook with its 2 billion+ users would have ground to a halt by now. The database tables need to be indexed and a primary key to be set to the member id while data is fetched by pagination is the way to keep performance at a high level.
Horses for courses, user data is Facebook's raison d'etre, whereas imutual is a cashback system. How do you think a database normally works, if not by use of indexed tables?

It doesn't matter what the usage is and not all tables are indexed - they usually have to be specified by primary keys. How do you think tables are intially created - indexed or non-indexed? If the database is accessed correctly, there is no need to limit messages (subject to storage requirements) and will satisfy iMutual members who require a higher limit of messages.

Going back to my original comment rather than answering misinformed replies, the amount of messages in a database table does not impact performance if pagination is used on indexed tables. Facebook does it, Yahoo does it, Tesco does it, Topcashback does it, I do it. Did I mention Topcashback? That is a cashback system, isn't it? No ifs, buts, how, whats - access to data is quick when the correct technique is applied. You can have the final say, if you're still on that high horse of yours.
Thanked by: cccashbacklover, Ric

macliam
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: By the Deben, Suffolk
Has thanked: 1399 times
Been thanked: 7302 times
Contact:

Re: Messages Limits

Post by macliam » Tue May 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Sorry for daring to contradict your vast knowledge, Dr. Codd, - but it is you who presumed that user messaging is not indexed, so climbed on a very high horse. I suspect the reason for limitation is not speed but cost. Placing a limit on the iterances of keyed data is not unusual, if database size is to be restricted - unlimited data= unlimited server space=growing costs..... and in this case the cost of a secondary benefit. Would you care to point me to the user forum on Topcat?
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests