Poor Dominic

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
cccashbacklover

Re: Poor Dominic

Post by cccashbacklover » Tue May 26 2020 10:25am

I will just leave this in the interests of balanced discussion being as all the posts and long posts appear to be all 1 sided /all agreeing with each other, no mention of various articles from yesterday that I have linked at bottom of this post :sick:

Here is the whole story.

Dominic Cummings travelled to his family's farm in Durham without stopping. The farm contains 3 properties. One with his elderly parents. One with his sister and her teenage children and a third where he stayed with his wife and their young son. They are separated by 50m distance. He never came into contact with his parents or relatives beyond long distance shouted conversations and his sister leaving food outside his door.

The plan was that if he and his wife became so sick that they couldn't look after their son Dominic's niece or sister would be able to. Dominic and his wife Mary did each become very sick, he had issues with his eyesight and breathing. However, they weren't seriously sick at the same time so never needed urgent help with their son. Their son also got sick and had to be briefly hospitalised. Even then they did not break socially distancing rules with other members of their family.

On one occasion they went for a drive to Barnard Castle and went for a short walk. It has always been permitted to go outside for exercise and even to drive somewhere to do so. They had recovered from the virus so were not infectious. Then they drove back to London stopping once for petrol.

Dominic's Uncle, who he is very close to, died during this time. Dominic did not visit him or go to his funeral.

That is the whole story.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... ent-aware/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... e-22080067
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Tue May 26 2020 11:32am

So they had to go to Durham because there was no-one in London that could have looked after them, or taken the child to a safe place?
Everything else could have been done better in London than Durham, and it would have removed the need for a driving/eyesight test.

They should have made it clearer in the lockdown rules/guidelines that if it's inconvenient to stay home, you can drive to isolate in your second home (that was expressly forbidden) or with your family (also expressly forbidden).

Perhaps then, Cummings wouldn't need to refuse to recognise why people are angry at there being one rule for him and another for the rest of us.
Thanked by: Richard Frost, blythburgh

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue May 26 2020 11:54am

cccashbacklover wrote:
Tue May 26 2020 10:25am
That is the whole story.
That's not the whole story; one significant aspect is you start it after the first apparent breach of guidance, right at the beginning, which was Dominic Cummings going back into No. 10 after seeing his sick wife, putting others at risk instead of staying home.

He obviously considers himself indispensable and can't even bring himself to publicly acknowledge, regret or apologise for the intense embarrassment, inconvenience and difficulty that his indefensible road trip has placed on everyone around him. His story is absurd and inconsistent with that told by his wife; it doesn't stand up to basic scrutiny and has now even caused Douglas Ross MP to resign from the government. The matter isn't going away whilst they're in so much debt to the truth.

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue May 26 2020 12:22pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Tue May 26 2020 6:20am
Sarah wrote:
Mon May 25 2020 7:04pm
Yep, this checks out, definitely the best place to take your family on your wife's birthday, if you need an eye test at the height of lock-down in the middle of a pandemic and you're only 30 miles drive away... :roll:

Sarah I must, before my last breath, be it only for a second, meet you in person. You are everything a Man could ask for.
That guy Richard just gave me a warning for the aforementioned post; off-topic.

Still worth it, only issue is I'm running out of lives. One of these days I'll be banned from the forum.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue May 26 2020 2:27pm

The Cummings argument seems to have polarised the UK in much the same way that everything else he touches tends to do. However, the thing to note here is that the majority of comment is against him, so has he lost his touch?

Being the man behind the manipulation and half-truths of previous campaigns, I would not trust his version of events without evidence. Yesterday's exercise had several key points for him to bang on about....
- how his son was vulnerable (in a way no other 4 year-old was?),
- how his house was targeted by the press (why moreso then thann at any other time?),
- how important he is (he had to go into work even when his wife was sick and had to get back to work as quickly as possible),
- how the rules allowed for him to do what he did,
- how he made use of personal privilege (his parents own a property large enough to house everyone),
- how all the witnesses are "mistaken",
- how people are upset, not by the facts but by the reports in the press.

So let's replay all that - he is privileged, he is important, his family is more important than anyone else's, he knows to bend the rules, he is in danger, people lie about him, the press are out to get him.
Cameron once called him a career psychopath..... but it sounds more like he has a heavy dose of paranoia too.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue May 26 2020 3:19pm

We're into the phase where the cover-up is what bites the government most severely...

"Cummings’ contempt for lockdown rules makes the public feel like fools"
If Cummings were half as smart as he is supposed to be, he would have shown in his press conference some glimmer of understanding that this kind of betrayal is of a completely different order to the one he and Johnson engage in so routinely. The ordinary treachery of saying one thing and doing another – there will be £350m extra every week for the NHS; there will never be a border in the Irish Sea – is mother’s milk to them. Perhaps because it is so habitual or because they are so used to getting away with it, their sense of how it works has become dulled. They missed the crucial fact that this time it’s different. This time it’s personal.

The mundane duplicity that is Cummings’ and Johnson’s stock in trade comes with a knowing smirk: you didn’t really think we meant that literally, did you? It is part of an elaborate, highly performative, game. But the rules for collective survival in a pandemic are not ironic. They are intimate. They are embodied. They are the detailed texture of the lives we live every day.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ch-ireland

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue May 26 2020 4:06pm

I just heard someone say that the reason that Dominic Cummings was late to the press conference yesterday was because government lawyers were attempting to remove all the "alternate truths" from his statement. Unfortunately, after overunning by 25 minutes, they had to give up ......
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue May 26 2020 8:10pm

Minister in shambolic government with horrifying track record undertakes to retrospectively review law in desperate attempt to save their delinquent ideas man... incredible...

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/ ... 06276?s=20

Boro Boy

Post by Boro Boy » Tue May 26 2020 9:37pm

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed May 27 2020 12:13am

That review into fines won't be happening. Hancock spoke without the ability to achieve what he said, although some legal experts suspect many disputed cases will fall apart anyway.

In the meantime, new polling to be published in the Daily Mail shows that even amongst their predominantly Tory readers, most don't believe Cummings nonsensical account of what happened: