Re: Word of the day

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Fri Jun 26 2020 3:09pm

Chadwick wrote:
Fri Jun 26 2020 11:00am
kevinchess1 wrote:
Thu Jun 25 2020 1:16pm
My just learned word-of-the-day is 'Excessive.'
What a great word 'Excessive' is :thumbup:
In fact, since I've learnt of the word 'Excessive' my use of the word 'Excessive' has become too much.
It's one of the best words. We have all the best words. We got numbers, excessive numbers, such great excessive numbers. They support me you know, the numbers, the excessive. Not the Democrats. They're excessive the other way. We're excessive too. We got numbers huge numbers. Excessive numbers.
Very clever the way you wrote that.
Thanked by: kevinchess1
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Richard Frost

Word of the day

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Jun 27 2020 8:42am

SATURDAY, JUNE 27, 2020 - https://www.dictionary.com/e/word-of-the-day/

bight

[ bahyt ]
noun

a bend or curve in the shore of a sea or river.

WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF BIGHT?
Bight has several senses in Modern English. It can refer to a bend or curve in the shore of a sea or river, a body of water bounded by such a bend, or the loop or bent part of a rope. Following the twists and turns of its morphology, we arrive at Middle English byght, bight, beghte, beythe “the fork of the legs, the pit or hollow of the arm, (in names) bend or bay,” from Old English byht “a bending, corner, dwelling, bay, bight.” The English word comes from Germanic buhtiz, from the Proto-Indo-European root bheug(h)-, bhoug(h)-, bhug(h)– “to bend,” which is the source of Sanskrit bhujáti “(he) bends,” Gothic biugan and Old English būgan, both meaning “to bow,” and Old English boga “arch, bow” (as in English rainbow and bow and arrow).

HOW IS BIGHT USED?
The boardwalk weaves along the bight from the ferry terminal on Grinnell to the end of Front Street. - MELISSA COLEMAN, "36 HOURS IN KEY WEST, FLA." NEW YORK TIMES, APRIL 29, 2015

A bight is simply a long and gradual coastal curve that creates a large bay, often with shallow waters. You’re likely already familiar with a number of bights — for instance, the area between Long Island and New Jersey on the East Coast is known as the New York Bight, while California’s Channel Islands live in the Southern California Bight, which stretches all the way from Santa Barbara to San Diego. - HANNAH LOTT-SCHWARTZ, "AUSTRALIA'S SOUTHERN COAST HAS STUNNING VIEWS AND INCREDIBLE WILDLIFE YOU WON'T FIND ANYWHERE ELSE," TRAVEL & LEISURE, JULY 14, 2019
Thanked by: blythburgh, Kelantan

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jun 27 2020 9:56am

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Fri Jun 26 2020 3:09pm
Chadwick wrote:
kevinchess1 wrote:
Thu Jun 25 2020 1:16pm
My just learned word-of-the-day is 'Excessive.'
What a great word 'Excessive' is :thumbup:
In fact, since I've learnt of the word 'Excessive' my use of the word 'Excessive' has become too much.
It's one of the best words. We have all the best words. We got numbers, excessive numbers, such great excessive numbers. They support me you know, the numbers, the excessive. Not the Democrats. They're excessive the other way. We're excessive too. We got numbers huge numbers. Excessive numbers.
Another excessive post. Where is the "I choose not to thank this post" thingy when you need it?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Word of the day

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Jun 28 2020 10:07am

SUNDAY, JUNE 28, 2020 - https://www.dictionary.com/e/word-of-the-day/

megafauna
[ meg-uh-faw-nuh ]
noun

Zoology.

large or giant animals, especially of a given area.

WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF MEGAFAUNA?
Megafauna is a hybrid of mega-, a combining form meaning “very large” (as in megachurch and megalith), from Greek mégas “large,” and fauna “the animals of a given region or period considered as a whole.” Fauna comes from the Latin proper noun Fauna, a rustic goddess and sister of Faunus, the rustic god who protected fields, herds, agriculture, and shepherds, identified with the Greek god Pan. Megafauna tend to have long lives and slow population growth and recovery rates. As a result, many such species, as elephants and whales, are particularly vulnerable to over exploitation by humans. Megafauna entered English in the first half of the 20th century.

HOW IS MEGAFAUNA USED?
Poaching threatens megafauna, our planet’s largest animals that often function as the keystones of their respective ecosystems. - ROBIN R. GANZERT, "CORONAVIRUS EFFECT ON THE ENVIRONMENT: WITHOUT TOURISM, WE WILL LOSE ELEPHANTS," INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS TIMES, MAY 31, 2020

Like the V-shaped graptolites or the ammonites or the dinosaurs, the megafauna weren’t doing anything wrong; it’s just that when humans appeared, the “rules of the survival game” changed. - ELIZABETH KOLBERT, THE SIXTH EXTINCTION, 2014

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Jun 28 2020 11:49am

blythburgh wrote:
Sat Jun 27 2020 9:56am
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Chadwick wrote:

Another excessive post. Where is the "I choose not to thank this post" thingy when you need it?
AAAlphaThunder, if you think a post is 'good' in some way, you can simply click the thumb-up icon. It's just as effective as what you wrote above.
If you've got something more to add to the conversation, then make a post by all means. But a simply 'nicely done, I enjoyed that' is best achieved by clicking the thumb.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sun Jun 28 2020 2:46pm

Chadwick wrote:
Sun Jun 28 2020 11:49am
blythburgh wrote:
Sat Jun 27 2020 9:56am
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
AAAlphaThunder, if you think a post is 'good' in some way, you can simply click the thumb-up icon. It's just as effective as what you wrote above.
If you've got something more to add to the conversation, then make a post by all means. But a simply 'nicely done, I enjoyed that' is best achieved by clicking the thumb.
But it does not add to his pointless million posts goal. So it will not happen. He will just continue on his own selfish way.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Richard Frost

Word of the day

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Jun 29 2020 10:09am

June 29th - https://www.dictionary.com/e/word-of-the-day/

anchorite

[ ang-kuh-rahyt ]
noun

a person who has retired to a solitary place for a life of religious seclusion; hermit.

WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF ANCHORITE?
The English noun anchorite “hermit” comes from Middle English anchorite, anachorite, ancorite, from Old French anacorittes and Medieval Latin anachōrīta, equivalent to Late Latin anachōrēta “a hermit, eremite, recluse, ascetic,” from Late Greek anachōrētḗs “one who has retired from the world,” a derivative of anachōreîn “to withdraw, retire.” Anachōreîn is a compound of the adverb and preposition aná and prefix ana– “up, back, re-“ and chōreîn “to make room for, withdraw, give way,” a verb derived from chôros “piece of ground, space, place.” Anchorite entered English in the 15th century.

HOW IS ANCHORITE USED?
I am most gratified to find that you are among those who indulge in a legitimate enjoyment of the good things of life. I am sure that if God intended us to be anchorites he would have fashioned this world after another sort. - ROBERT ARCHER TRACY, THE SWORD OF NEMESIS, 1919

We’re all lonely now. We’re all cut off from each other, trapped inside the walls of our own domestic space, the 21st-century version of the medieval anchorite. - OLIVIA LAING, "HOW TO BE LONELY," NEW YORK TIMES, MARCH 19, 2020

Richard Frost

Word of the day

Post by Richard Frost » Tue Jun 30 2020 10:07am

pernicious - https://www.bing.com/search?FORM=U523DF ... of+the+day

[pəˈnɪʃəs]

ADJECTIVE
pernicious (adjective)

having a harmful effect, especially in a gradual or subtle way.
"the pernicious influences of the mass media"

synonyms:
harmful · damaging · destructive · injurious · hurtful · detrimental · deleterious · dangerous · adverse · inimical · unhealthy · unfavourable · bad · evil · baleful · wicked · malign · malevolent · malignant · noxious · poisonous · cancerous · corrupting · ruinous · deadly · lethal · fatal · malefic · maleficent · pestilent · pestilential · baneful · pestiferous
antonyms:
beneficial · benign · favourable

Origin
late Middle English: from Latin perniciosus ‘destructive’, from pernicies ‘ruin’, based on nex, nec- ‘death’.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Wed Jul 01 2020 11:23am

July 1st - https://www.dictionary.com/e/word-of-the-day/

bolide

[ boh-lahyd, -lid ]
noun

Astronomy.

a large, brilliant meteor, especially one that explodes; fireball.

WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF BOLIDE?
A bolide is a large, brilliant meteor that explodes before hitting the earth. The term comes from French, from Latin bolis (inflectional stem bolid-) “meteor,” from Greek bolís (stem bolíd-) “missile, javelin, flash of lightning, throw of a pair of dice.” The Latin sense “meteor” is first recorded by the Roman naturalist and encyclopedist Pliny the Elder in the first century a.d., perhaps from a resemblance between a fireball in the sky and a flash of lightning. Bolide entered English in the mid-19th century.

HOW IS BOLIDE USED?
At exactly fourteen minutes after eight … the bolide passed overhead. It was an amazing spectacle. It left a trail of flame behind, across thirty degrees of sky. - MURRAY LEINSTER, CREATURES OF THE ABYSS, 1961

A meteor that explodes in mid-air before it hits the ground is known as a bolide. It’s thought that the high-pressure air in front of the falling meteor seeps into cracks in the rock, increasing internal pressure and causing the rock to break apart. - MICHELLE STARR, "YET ANOTHER LARGE, FIERY METEOR JUST SPECTACULARLY EXPLODED OVER SIBERIA," SCIENCEALERT, APRIL 8, 2019

Richard Frost

Word of the day

Post by Richard Frost » Thu Jul 02 2020 10:37am

THURSDAY, JULY 02, 2020 - https://www.dictionary.com/e/word-of-the-day/

repudiate

[ ri-pyoo-dee-eyt ]
verb (used with object)

to reject with disapproval or condemnation: to repudiate a new doctrine.

WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF REPUDIATE?
Repudiate comes straight from Latin repudiāt-, the past participle stem of repudiāre “to reject formally (as a prospective husband or wife), divorce, reject,” a derivative of the noun repudium. Repudium is derived from the prefix re-, completely naturalized in English, indicating repetition or withdrawal, and the verb pudēre “to fill with shame, make ashamed.” From pudēre Latin derives the adjectives impudēns (inflectional stem impudent-) “shameless,” English impudent, and pudendus “of what one ought to be ashamed, disgraceful.” Repudiate entered English in the 16th century.

HOW IS REPUDIATE USED?
In college, Gadsby studied art history, and in “Douglas” she aims to repudiate what she learned about institutionalized beauty, which, in her view, has no relationship to joy or inspiration. - HILTON ALS, "HANNAH GADSBY'S SONG OF THE SELF," THE NEW YORKER, JULY 22, 2019

States as well as individuals must repudiate racial, religious, or other discrimination in violation of those rights. - DECLARATION ON WORLD PEACE, ISSUED AS PAMPHLET, OCTOBER 7, 1943

I repudiate most of the rubbish Thunderbog and Boro Boy espouse, although Boro Boy has been very quiet lately - Richard Frost 2/7/20 Word of the day thread, imutual
Thanked by: Kelantan