Mandatory masks

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
kevinchess1

Mandatory masks

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon Jul 27 2020 12:14pm

So, masks became mandatory on Friday...or did they.
Me local garden centre had a notice 'No mask No entry' and a person refusing admittance to any maskless soles, had to be careful typing that. But it seems the big stores have weaselled out with a 'we can't enforce it' cry.
Strange that they have no trouble enforcing Age restricted sales and/or knives etc.
The 'Claim' is 'Medical reasons.'
I asked DRaughter about this and she said/shouted 'What friggin medical reason?'
She's quite passionate about this. She says people should have the right to carry a card exempting from wearing a mask, so when they end up in hospital, they know not to give them a ventilator.
She's quite harsh
Of course the police aren't helping with their 'We don't have the resources' plea.
Got plenty of resources to investigate a plane flown over Burnley though
Someone needs to get all the chief constables together and tell them 'This isn't like burglaries, domestic abuse and shoplifting, you can't just ignore it.'
Why don't they ask the CSO to pop to the shops?
2 final points, I don't like wearing a mask but I will wear one in the shops etc.
Final point is that people will constantly moan about the government not doing enough when it' s certain members of the public not helping
Thanked by: macliam, blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

macliam

Re: Mandatory masks

Post by macliam » Mon Jul 27 2020 1:28pm

I have been wearing a mask in shops for a few weeks now. I was unconvinced about the benefits of masks if you kept your distance, but seeing that distancing was all but impossible in supermarkets and having had a number of people all but climb on my back in their eagerness to get to the ready meals, I changed my mind. I noticed that those wearing masks seemed to be avoided, so I decided wearing a mask would be a good idea.

The impact was immediate.... the only thing it didn't help with was those people who seem to treat shopping as a social occasion and block the aisle with their trolleys whilst they have a chat and the others who leave their trolleys in the middle of the aisle whilst they spend half an hour deciding exactly what tin of beans takes their fancy, both of which force me to pass far closer to them than I'd like. I don't like the mask, I wear it only when I am in an enclosed space..... but I don't much fancy being locked down again or getting COVID either.....

In terms of the supermarkets, they seemed happy enough to restrict people entering at the beginning, yet now claim that refusing entry to anyone not wearing a mask is too much.... as kev says, all it takes is a clear notice and someone to stand at the entrance and the majority of people will comply.... so what they're actually doing is to say we should all suffer because a few people might complain. In Portugal they policed entry to supermarkets with their instore security..... because shoplifting drops when less people are inside (who'd have guessed?) - and the police were active in preventing people driving to the coast during lockdown (imagine!). Presumably the police in England also need to keep officers in reserve to arrest all those over-75s who refuse to pay for their TV license (although the only one I know who is doing that is 6'2" and an ex-copper, so good luck with that!)

Some people may not be able to wear a mask - there are 2 options; either they carry something to prove their exemption... or they don't go shopping. The people who seem to be squealing loudest about the need to wear a mask seem to be those who scream loudly about how "it's not British" and claim it's not the governments job to force them to cover their faces, squealing about their civil liberty. They're also the people who seem only too happy to force their views on others........
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Mon Jul 27 2020 8:21pm

I wear a mask and see no issues wearing one. We are all in this together and everyone needs to pull their weight.
Thanked by: blythburgh, MrsXfile
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Aug 01 2020 1:04pm

Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Aug 01 2020 1:36pm

Local FB page last Saturday someone said they went to Aldi only to find no guard on door keeping numbers in check etc. Apparently the management had decided to go back to business as usual. This lady has been semi isolating and will not go back to Aldi.

Went to Co-op in Kessingland before masks became mandatory and notice asked us to wear masks. Only allowed in when told we could go in by staff.

Only a small shop but impressed.

Then this week we went to the corner shop together wearing our masks though 'im indoors could be in the exempt catagory. A woman and then a man came in, neither wearing a mask. Both picking up stuff they put back on the shelf. The only stuff we picked up was what went in the shopping basket. Otherwise we used our eyes to see what was on the shelves.

Still using the click and collect. This week the only thing I have to go on their FB page to complain about is one tin which had an enormous dent in it. Time was there was a Co-op canning factory and a Mortons canning factory in the town and dented tins were always put out for staff and members of the public to buy at a reduced price.

Then it was a case of the dented tins were found on the reduced section in the supermaket.

Now they end up in my click and collect shopping.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Aug 01 2020 1:37pm

I have learnt that the masks are horrible to wear for a short time so feel even more for everyone who has to wear a mask for hours a day every day
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sat Aug 01 2020 2:17pm

I feel sorry for the shop workers all day, almost everyday in masks.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Sat Aug 01 2020 3:04pm

It is their choice. It is not mandatory for shop workers to wear masks under current legislation.
Thanked by: kevinchess1

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Sat Aug 01 2020 4:20pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Sat Aug 01 2020 3:04pm
It is their choice. It is not mandatory for shop workers to wear masks under current legislation.
I didn't know that.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sat Aug 01 2020 10:15pm

blythburgh wrote:
Sat Aug 01 2020 1:36pm
Still using the click and collect. This week the only thing I have to go on their FB page to complain about is one tin which had an enormous dent in it.
Do they react to complaints on facebook?
If you're not happy with anything you receive, best to contact them directly and privately. They won't deal with the matter over facebook. I speak from experience having just rejected a short-dated item.