Sutcliffe is dead

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Sutcliffe is dead

Post by blythburgh » Fri Nov 13 2020 10:28am

I just hope his death will bring some peace to the families of his victims and those who survived his attacks. But the enormous publicity will bring them more pain of course.

Loved the way every victim's name was read out on "Woman's Hour" this morning. Some but not all of his victims were sex workers. But every woman he murdered was a human being who was loved by many of those they knew. Every victim deserved the police to work as hard to catch Sutcliffe, everyone of them deserved to be treated with respect by the media.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33

Re: Sutcliffe is dead

Post by expressman33 » Fri Nov 13 2020 12:40pm

I'm against capital punishment as mistakes have been made in the past . But I wonder how much it has cost to keep Sutcliffe locked up for 40 years .
Thanked by: blythburgh

Sarah

Re: Sutcliffe is dead

Post by Sarah » Sat Nov 14 2020 2:35am

It costs whatever it costs; has absolutely no bearing on my opposition to capital punishment.

The death penalty (at least as operated in USA right now) isn't a cheap alternative anyway.
Would California taxpayers be better off if life imprisonment was instituted as the maximum criminal penalty in the state? The bottom line is that it costs a lot less to house a non-death row inmate in a California state prison. Even if inmates are detained indefinitely, the costs associated with housing those inmates do not begin to reach the extraordinary costs of housing and prosecuting capital offenders.

California could save nearly $90,000 each year – per current death row inmate – if those sentences were converted to life in prison without the possibility of parole. There are currently 747 inmates on death row in California. California taxpayers could save approximately $67 million each year on housing costs alone if these prisoners were sentenced to life in prison. The savings associated with prosecuting and dealing with multiple appeals could ultimately save California taxpayers a total of nearly $150 million each year.
https://www.safecalifornia.org/how-much ... nalty-cost
Thanked by: blythburgh