Christmas Plans

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

Re: Christmas Plans

Post by blythburgh » Fri Nov 13 2020 9:32am

The worst thing about the prescription charge is something that comes in two bits gets charged twice although it is only one item on the prescription.

And even worse it the arbitrary list of things you can suffer from and get free prescriptions. I was shocked when I was told that asthma is not on the list despite for many people it is for life. The lucky child will grow out of it but the unlucky one will not and pay through the nose for the medicine they cannot chose to go without to save money.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Nov 13 2020 10:19am

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Nov 13 2020 9:32am
The worst thing about the prescription charge is something that comes in two bits gets charged twice although it is only one item on the prescription.
It might be worth challenging that; some cashiers don't know all the complexities and can make mistakes. There are also opposite cases that likewise can cause confusion - a single medicine supplied as two line items on the prescription to provide a combination of two doses only incurs a single charge.
Thanked by: blythburgh

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri Nov 13 2020 12:43pm

If you are clever it is possible to make 3 ( or even 2 ) 3 month prepaid cards last for 12 months.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Nov 13 2020 5:17pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Fri Nov 13 2020 2:29am
macliam wrote:
Thu Nov 12 2020 9:34pm
It gets better.... if a bit odd. My meds are the fairly standard mix of statins, gastroresistant aspirin and low-dosage thyroxin. I already discovered that I can buy them over-the-counter in Portugal..... and yesterday I bought them in my local Farmacia - 60 of each of the Aspirin and Thyroxin (almost 2 months supply) and 28 statins..... for the princely sum of €12.43!!

The odd bit is that the most expensive were the Aspirin - they're 100mg rather than the 75mg I get in the UK (they don't sell them here!) and €4.65 for 60... . The Thyroxin was cheaper at €4.21!! The Atorvastatins are exactly the same as I get in the UK ad are actually more expensive per dose.... they we €3.57 for 28. But remember, these are all over-the-counter prices....

How much is it now per item on a prescription?
Might be cheaper but the quality may not be as good as the UK. In the UK we have strict regulations for medicines.
The Atorvastatin is identical to those given in the UK (Teva), the Levothyroxin is from Merck, a US-based multinational and I think even the Portuguese might know how to make Aspirin. All the drugs conform to the EU standard, just like those in the UK. Pharmacists here also are trained to undertake some medical roles....

The Portuguese Health Service (Serviço Nacional de Saúde) was ranked 12th in the world by the WHO in 2019 and also in this list - https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... -the-world. The UK came in at 18 (and Ireland 19).

The NHS is a wonderful thing..... but to assume others are so much worse is wrongheaded.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Fri Nov 13 2020 5:25pm

macliam wrote:
Fri Nov 13 2020 5:17pm
AAAlphaThunder wrote:
macliam wrote:
Thu Nov 12 2020 9:34pm
It gets better.... if a bit odd. My meds are the fairly standard mix of statins, gastroresistant aspirin and low-dosage thyroxin. I already discovered that I can buy them over-the-counter in Portugal..... and yesterday I bought them in my local Farmacia - 60 of each of the Aspirin and Thyroxin (almost 2 months supply) and 28 statins..... for the princely sum of €12.43!!

The odd bit is that the most expensive were the Aspirin - they're 100mg rather than the 75mg I get in the UK (they don't sell them here!) and €4.65 for 60... . The Thyroxin was cheaper at €4.21!! The Atorvastatins are exactly the same as I get in the UK ad are actually more expensive per dose.... they we €3.57 for 28. But remember, these are all over-the-counter prices....

How much is it now per item on a prescription?
Might be cheaper but the quality may not be as good as the UK. In the UK we have strict regulations for medicines.
The Atorvastatin is identical to those given in the UK (Teva), the Levothyroxin is from Merck, a US-based multinational and I think even the Portuguese might know how to make Aspirin. All the drugs conform to the EU standard, just like those in the UK. Pharmacists here also are trained to undertake some medical roles....

The Portuguese Health Service (Serviço Nacional de Saúde) was ranked 12th in the world by the WHO in 2019 and also in this list - https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... -the-world. The UK came in at 18 (and Ireland 19).

The NHS is a wonderful thing..... but to assume others are so much worse is wrongheaded.
Very reassuring to know for sure.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Nov 29 2020 11:01pm

Just to make things better...... SWMBOs car was due its MOT before Tax due in December. Obviously with both of us out of the UK that wasn't going to happen. So we decided to SORN it and sort it out when we reurn..... except the online SORN declaration requires the V5 number, which isn't something we have handy in Portugal..... :eh:

So she contacted the DVLA early in November and explained the whole situation. After two days she got a reply, nothing useful... just call their UK non-geographic number. Gee thanks, we'd never have thought of that..... making an international call to talk to someone in a callcenter. :roll:

So she replied, explaining again that we are not in the UK and asking what information she'd need to have at hand to SORN the car, given we do not have the V5 number. After two days the reply came back.... no answer to the question, just the "helpful" suggestion that she call the callcenter and they ***might*** be able to help her. Oh and an explanation that (wait for it), "due to COVID" the callcenter is very busy.... :(

So she tried calling.... first day, 5 minutes on queue and gave up. Tried again later, again gave up. Tried 4 times and never got past the queue..... :evil:

So yesterday I wrote to them sayng we'd done all this and would try again on Monday, but if that failed we'd just sort it out when we get bck to the UK. That'll be when they try to fine her for not taxing her car!! :shifty:

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Mon Nov 30 2020 2:25am

macliam wrote:
Sun Nov 29 2020 11:01pm
Just to make things better...... SWMBOs car was due its MOT before Tax due in December. Obviously with both of us out of the UK that wasn't going to happen. So we decided to SORN it and sort it out when we reurn..... except the online SORN declaration requires the V5 number, which isn't something we have handy in Portugal..... :eh:

So she contacted the DVLA early in November and explained the whole situation. After two days she got a reply, nothing useful... just call their UK non-geographic number. Gee thanks, we'd never have thought of that..... making an international call to talk to someone in a callcenter. :roll:

So she replied, explaining again that we are not in the UK and asking what information she'd need to have at hand to SORN the car, given we do not have the V5 number. After two days the reply came back.... no answer to the question, just the "helpful" suggestion that she call the callcenter and they ***might*** be able to help her. Oh and an explanation that (wait for it), "due to COVID" the callcenter is very busy.... :(

So she tried calling.... first day, 5 minutes on queue and gave up. Tried again later, again gave up. Tried 4 times and never got past the queue..... :evil:

So yesterday I wrote to them sayng we'd done all this and would try again on Monday, but if that failed we'd just sort it out when we get bck to the UK. That'll be when they try to fine her for not taxing her car!! :shifty:
Keep good records and challenge the fine. Sell your story to The Sun.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Nov 30 2020 9:58pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Did you see that on the side of a bus?

Whilst in the EU, the UK and Portugal have the same quality standards.
Here, educate yourself:
https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/ ... nes_en.pdf

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Tue Dec 01 2020 12:47am

Chadwick wrote:
Mon Nov 30 2020 9:58pm
AAAlphaThunder wrote:

Here, educate yourself:
I didn't know that and I shall have a read.

Portugal looks like a good overall option to retire to.

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Dec 03 2020 11:07pm

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Tue Dec 01 2020 12:47am
Chadwick wrote:
Mon Nov 30 2020 9:58pm
AAAlphaThunder wrote:

Here, educate yourself:
I didn't know that and I shall have a read.

Portugal looks like a good overall option to retire to.
It is..... property is more expensive than in Spain, but there are no horror stories with Portuguese property purchases and the buying process is very similar to England - but with better protecton (if you exchange contracts with the seller and he reneges, e.g. you are gazumped, the buyer must pay you double your deposit (normally 10%) People who REALLY like a property pay 20% deposit and thus make it very unlikely they'll not complete.

Other things are more expensive than they were (thanks to the much poorer Sterling/Euro exchange rate) but it's still cheaper overall than the UK and some things much moreso..... lunch in a nice restaurant in the Algarve today for SWMBO and myself was just over €27 (Grilled chicken with Piri-Piri - forget Nando's! - a huge bowl of really great chips and a tomato salad to die for, plus a few beers and a coffee). Lunch in Olhao last week (a "menu" of beef in a pepper sauce with rice, chips and salad, 250ml of wine, a dessert and a coffee)..... €8.50 each!! (but that is exceptional... cheap and good food, it was our second visit inside a month!)

PS - my email to DVLA must have upset them.... no reply! All the better for me, I explained the situation (again) and they declined to help. Let's see what happens next!