Impact of no-deal Brexit on grocery prices

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Sarah

Re: Impact of no-deal Brexit on grocery prices

Post by Sarah » Thu Dec 31 2020 11:31am

Yet another Brexit voting business owner surprised and disappointed that Brexit is destroying his business:
He says: “We all produce the documentation but unfortunately our customers have also got a raft of documentation to produce to allow the import to go ahead. So why buy from the UK? Might as well buy from another producer in France who can deliver to the door no documentation, no problems.”

The reporter then asks Wood how he feels now given that he supported Brexit four years ago. He reveals that if he knew it would put his job in danger he wouldn’t have voted for it. “I think be careful what you wish for - I thought we were going to get a global market, this is going to be a new opportunity. It hasn't turned out like that. I'd never have voted for Brexit if I knew we were going to lose our jobs.”
https://www.indy100.com/news/brexit-lea ... t-b1780258
Thanked by: pabenny, blythburgh

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Thu Dec 31 2020 5:33pm

But it's worth it because we've Taken Back Control.
Thanked by: blythburgh

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Thu Dec 31 2020 6:15pm

Sarah wrote:
Thu Dec 31 2020 11:31am
Yet another Brexit voting business owner surprised and disappointed that Brexit is destroying his business:
He says: “We all produce the documentation but unfortunately our customers have also got a raft of documentation to produce to allow the import to go ahead. So why buy from the UK? Might as well buy from another producer in France who can deliver to the door no documentation, no problems.”

The reporter then asks Wood how he feels now given that he supported Brexit four years ago. He reveals that if he knew it would put his job in danger he wouldn’t have voted for it. “I think be careful what you wish for - I thought we were going to get a global market, this is going to be a new opportunity. It hasn't turned out like that. I'd never have voted for Brexit if I knew we were going to lose our jobs.”
https://www.indy100.com/news/brexit-lea ... t-b1780258
Much to my dismay, sounds about right.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sun Jan 03 2021 8:54pm

If only someone - anyone - had mentioned that leaving the trading arrangements of the Eu might put us at a disadvantage.
Thanked by: blythburgh, mike

BeautifulSunshine

Post by BeautifulSunshine » Mon Jan 04 2021 2:37am

Chadwick wrote:
Sun Jan 03 2021 8:54pm
If only someone - anyone - had mentioned that leaving the trading arrangements of the Eu might put us at a disadvantage.
It was the slick PR bus campaign that caught the public's imagination. NHS, money, jobs and all that.
[imutual Cashback Investment Club]

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jan 04 2021 7:24am

AAAlphaThunder wrote:
Mon Jan 04 2021 2:37am
Chadwick wrote:
It was the slick PR bus campaign that caught the public's imagination. NHS, money, jobs and all that.
I think you mean lying bus campaign
Thanked by: pabenny
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Jan 05 2021 9:07am

Chadwick wrote:
I am loathe to speculate on the reasons for the UK choosing to play poker with its future.... but it seems that Max Hastings isn't
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... exit-mania
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Jan 05 2021 10:01am

Thankfully those attitudes are somewhat dying out together with leave supporters, even if slowly. The demographics that predominantly voted for it practically ensures that it cannot last (unless they somehow manage to make it a surprise success beyond the super-rich, or destroy democracy); the higher educated, the employed and most crucially the young simply won't stand for it long term.

The government wasted no time at all with this...

"The UK’s already relaxed its laws preventing tax abuse as it makes clear its intention to wage tax war on the world post-Brexit"

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/202 ... st-brexit/

sanity clause

Post by sanity clause » Tue Jan 05 2021 11:20am

FT...

London’s financial sector started to feel the full effects of Brexit on the first trading day of 2021 as nearly €6bn of EU share dealing shifted away from the City to facilities in European capitals.

So, on day 1, HM Gov has lost tax revenue on £6 billion of EU business.

In 2019, the financial services sector employed 3% of the UK workforce, generating 7% of economic output and almost 11% of total UK Government tax receipts.

Who do you think will end up footing the bill for the sustained tax shortfall on these trades?

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed Jan 06 2021 4:41pm

sanity clause wrote:
Tue Jan 05 2021 11:20am
London’s financial sector started to feel the full effects of Brexit on the first trading day of 2021 as nearly €6bn of EU share dealing shifted away from the City to facilities in European capitals.
Just to clarify:
The €6 billion figure is the amount of share trading business lost every day; not just once, or annually... :thumbdown: