Vaccine

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Re: Vaccine

Post by blythburgh » Fri Jan 15 2021 7:52am

Richard Frost wrote:
Thu Jan 14 2021 10:59pm
As the vaccine is currently not available to everyone. I suspect in the short term Charlie Mullins will experience a dearth of plumbers.
There must be plumbers in the 80+ group who should come out of retirement to help the younger members of their community
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Fri Jan 15 2021 9:54am

expressman33 wrote:
Thu Jan 14 2021 10:43pm
Pimlico Plumbers to introduce ‘no vaccine jab, no job’ work requirement https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/piml ... 97162.html
As I posted, I'm in favour of the Vac but I am completely opposed to this idea :evil: They are creating a 2 tier system of 'Had' and 'Not had' I doubt that it's legal and would be interested to read the Union opinion of this.
And how are they going to know? It's not like you get a Gold star and a lollipop when you've had it I miss those days :(
Thanked by: pakefield, Chadwick, blythburgh
Politically incorrect since 69

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Jan 15 2021 10:21am

kevinchess1 wrote:
Fri Jan 15 2021 9:54am
They are creating a 2 tier system of 'Had' and 'Not had' I doubt that it's legal and would be interested to read the Union opinion of this.
Only a quarter of employees are in a union. Have you forgotten Brexit already? They stuck the Working Time Directive on the bonfire yesterday; preparing to make it possible for employees to be forced to work more than 48 hours a week. There's no reason to believe they'll stop there, whenever the law is inconvenient; those who voted to leave the EU cheered our rights and freedoms being taken away, whilst marching down the path to serfdom...

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Jan 16 2021 10:02am

Chadwick wrote:
Wed Jan 13 2021 8:09pm
As I understand it, we don't yet know whether these vaccines will stop you infecting someone else. Presumably at some point you recover and you you're not a permanent carrier, so I guess it's a question of how quickly the antibodies can kill the virus.
That's the case with all immunity.... particularly that afforded to previously infected people. For a carrier to become infectious, the virus must multiply within the host to achieve a viral load beyond a given trigger-point....but we don't know what that trigger point is or how quickly it can be reached. However, this is not a problem that will be solved by a "stronger" vaccine..... vaccines either work or they don't and the immune system works as well as it has been prepared to do. The worry (and the potential saving grace) is mutation... which may make vaccines less effective, but may also reduce the symptoms of infection.
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

kevinchess1

Post by kevinchess1 » Sun Jan 17 2021 7:56pm

If macliam had been aboard the Titanic..

'So, first they said Unsinkable' but now we're sinking :?: '
'Well, I never saw an iceberg and neither did anyone else:!:'
'So, the hole in the ship is BELOW the waterline? That's really convenient.
'This crisis was made up by the Lifebelt company, you can't make me get a lifeboat, I HAVE RIGHTS :!: ''
Politically incorrect since 69

macliam

Post by macliam » Sun Jan 17 2021 8:14pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Sun Jan 17 2021 7:56pm

'This crisis was made up by the Lifebelt company, you can't make me get a lifeboat, I HAVE RIGHTS :!: ''
I think you have the wrong horse kev.
I'm no denier, I just don' t believe everything I'm told - particularly when l know better.

I'm sure all the vaccines will play their part..... But none of them will be a silver bullet.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun Jan 17 2021 9:28pm

Incidentally, regarding Pimlico Plumbers, apparently most of their workforce are self-employed contractors anyway, so their legal situation is quite different to most employers.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jan 18 2021 9:43am

macliam wrote:
Sun Jan 17 2021 8:14pm
kevinchess1 wrote:
Sun Jan 17 2021 7:56pm

I think you have the wrong horse kev.
I'm no denier, I just don' t believe everything I'm told - particularly when l know better.

I'm sure all the vaccines will play their part..... But none of them will be a silver bullet.
No vaccine e.g. flu which is made each year is infallible. All have a risk of you getting the illness, it just makes it less likely. And so I have flu jab every year but might still get flu. But at least my odds are a lot longer than the vaccine deniers aka vaccine liars aka flat earthers
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Jan 20 2021 6:53pm

macliam wrote:
Sun Jan 17 2021 8:14pm

True, no silver bullet.
But they will enable us to eventually remove masks and social distancing and start travelling again.
Once enough people in the community are protected. Until then we have to protect them by sticking with the masks etc. And the more people who refuse the vaccine, the longer that will take.

We should get to a state where it's like flu. Some years, a lot of people will be affected. Other years will be lighter. But the NHS won't be unduly pressured and we'll live with the risk like we do with flu. Maybe we'll need to have top up jabs every year, maybe we'll need them to combat different strains (again, like flu). The people at risk will be the usual elderly and medically vulnerable and the people who couldn't be vaccinated. Those who believed it was all a scam and there is no virus and they won't have the vaccine won't be at risk because no matter how ill they get, they are not ill because the virus doesn't exist.

In time, I expect we will develop better vaccines that are longer lasting, or affect more strains, or be more effective at preventing onward infection and breaking the chain of infection. We've been working on a general coronavirus vaccine for years. It's not been a high priority until recently. But at least the current vaccines mean it's only the lab scientists who will have to wear masks during that time.

sanity clause

Post by sanity clause » Thu Jan 21 2021 9:10am

My thoughts, exactly.
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1