Holocaust Day

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

Holocaust Day

Post by blythburgh » Sun Jan 24 2021 9:08am

I was listening to the Radio 4 Sunday Service. I was saddened to hear the speaker talk about the 6 million Jews murdered by the Nazi's. But no mention of the fact that disabled people, LGBT people were also murdered. And no mention of the fact that the Nazi's wanted to wipe all Jewish people off the face of the earth and all Roma as well.

Why do we only hear about the proposed total elimination of the Jewish people but never the Roma?

The holocaust in WW2 is a stain on history, we must never forget the suffering of the Jews but remember they were not the only targets.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

robthecomper

Re: Holocaust Day

Post by robthecomper » Sun Jan 24 2021 11:38pm

Totally agree with you blythburgh. It wasn't just Jews killed in the Holocaust. I think the reason why Jews are primarily mentioned in the Holocaust is due to the sheer numbers. Roma deaths were estimated between 200,000 and 500,000 whilst at least 6 million Jews perished in the Holocaust. Even one Roma death or one gay death is bad but the numbers were much, much lower than Jewish deaths.

Jews have always been victimised and killed throughout history whether it was at the hands of Romans, Crusaders, during the Spanish Inquisition, Arab pogroms (pre-creation of modern Israel) and even here in the UK but the Nazis singlehandedly managed to wipe out two thirds of European Jewry during the Holocaust mainly in the gas chambers.

Unfortunately, the lessons of the Holocaust haven't been learnt as anti-semitism is still rife in Europe and many people are still being ethnically cleaned in the world eg in Syria and China to name two examples.

blythburgh

Re: Holocaust Day

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jan 25 2021 9:08am

Could not agree more with you robthecomper. And it was heartening to hear on the radio yesterday that a Jewish group were speaking out about the treatment of Muslims in China. They know what it is like to be treated in this way due to your ethnicity.

Antisemitism is as much as stain on our national consciousness as any other racism. When I hear Black Lives Matter I wholeheartedly agree but to me it is every marginalised group and that includes many poor white people.

Sadly The Daily Service this morning had the comment along these lines: Holocaust Memorial Day is to remember the 6 million Jews killed in Nazi Concentration camps. Then went on to mention other genocides since then.

Of course we should never, ever forget the attempted annihilation of the Jews by the Nazi's but the Roma, the homosexuals, the disabled should also be remembered. Thank goodness Jews can see how the Muslims in China are being treated the same way as their relatives in Nazi Germany.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler