where is the world's nicest chess player?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
blythburgh

where is the world's nicest chess player?

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jun 02 2021 11:08am

I am missing the quiz and having withdrawal symptoms
Thanked by: kevinchess1
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

roger

Re: where is the world's nicest chess player?

Post by roger » Wed Jun 02 2021 12:10pm

If the suggested answer here is "Nigel Short" then I'm afraid that, while Nigel certainly isn't friendless, you wouldn't find anything like unanimity in the informed chess community. This is more likely a reference to the grandmaster - Slovakian or Slovenian, can't remember which - who offered his opponent a draw when said opponent had a mouseslip and inadvertently moved his queen to a position where it could be captured.
Thanked by: Sarah, kevinchess1

blythburgh

Re: where is the world's nicest chess player?

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jul 01 2021 2:51pm

roger wrote:
Wed Jun 02 2021 12:10pm
If the suggested answer here is "Nigel Short" then I'm afraid that, while Nigel certainly isn't friendless, you wouldn't find anything like unanimity in the informed chess community. This is more likely a reference to the grandmaster - Slovakian or Slovenian, can't remember which - who offered his opponent a draw when said opponent had a mouseslip and inadvertently moved his queen to a position where it could be captured.
'im indoors has an online friend in Slovenia who told him the Embassy of each country gives the local post office all the mail that was addressed to Slovakia which should have been addressed to Slovenia. Or addressed to Slovenia instead of Slovakia
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler