BeMore Dog is No more

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
kevinchess1

BeMore Dog is No more

Post by kevinchess1 » Wed Jun 09 2021 3:08pm

As a child growing up my parents had a cat, dandy, and then after I moved out 2/3 cats.
I'd never own a dog in my life and was a bit moral about owning pets in the first place, how can they be happy when they're stuck in a tiny cage.
So, when, in 2012 D3 aged 13 wanted a dog i was dead against it. We had a family meeting in which everyone seemed keen. I did have a right of veto but didn't want this being brought up every week for the rest of my life. We got a dog. True to form D3 soon lost interest and it fell upon me to walk him, feed him, take him to the vet, the groomer and everyone else he needed to be.
To be fair I really enjoyed the summer walks in the country and he always preferred me over everyone else
Today, sadly, he has gone over the rainbow bridge to doggy heaven and I'm not ashamed to say i blubbered like a baby. Haven't been this upset for 20+ years since my nephew past.
That's about it really just felt that maybe by writing this it may ease his passing.
IDSIS is distraught and we've taken the day off work as has D3

Thanks for reading
Politically incorrect since 69

macliam

Re: BeMore Dog is No more

Post by macliam » Wed Jun 09 2021 4:26pm

kev, I understand your thoughts - in the UK we never had a dog because we travelled a lot and it seemed unfair (and uneconomic) to leave a dog in the UK whilst we were away. Then, in Portugal, we were "adopted" by an abandoned dog..... so the decision was different, because it was either to look after her or to know she would have no life at all. So, there was no "price", but there were the costs of registration, innoculation and sterilization (and in Portugal you have to be able to prove your dog is fully vaccinated).

Now I dread the day anything happens to her - she a part of the family (as was your dog).

All you can think is that you did everything you could to give you four-legged friend a good life and it is now at peace - over the rainbow bridge, as you say. There's no shame in feeling upset - and it will take a long while for the doggy-sized hole in your lives to ease.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Wed Jun 09 2021 5:44pm

I have a cat. Adopted from the RSPCA about 6 years ago. I will miss him greatly once his time comes to depart this earth. Pets are often thought of as one of the family.

My commiserations, You will never forget him.
Thanked by: kevinchess1, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jun 09 2021 7:56pm

Oh, Kev, I am so very sorry. I have walked this path far too many times but it hurts so much every time. The last one was my neighbour's dog and I could not have loved that Collie more if she was my own. A rescue dog that was too traumatised to be rehomed but our friend got them to change their mind. And we helped her turn a terrified dog into something special. You can get another dog but Bemore will always have that special place in your heart.
Thanked by: kevinchess1
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler