About Blood(ly) time

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
kevinchess1

About Blood(ly) time

Post by kevinchess1 » Mon Jun 21 2021 1:33pm

Last week, the NHSBT service changed the guidelines on accepting blood from gay men.
Before now, any male donor who'd had sex with another man in the previous 3 months couldn't give blood.
The claim was that they were a higher risk than heterosexual men but I always felt that they were comparing the wrong groups and should be comparing married V singles.
If you are in a committed, exclusive relationship then your chances of getting STD are zero. but if like Luke, you had a random hook up with a girl you barely knew last week, had a date with someone last night that he met on Grindr and spent the Easter holiday weekend with a couple of sheep in a cottage in Norwich then you are not just linking virally to 3 others but all of their partners as well AND their partners, easily into 7 figures.
so its changed for the better but I'm far from convinced it will lead too a surge in new donations. My friend J, used to give and just lie about his sexuality until he was convinced by others that he shouldn't have to hide it. He says he's not going back until they apologized to him. yeah, well good luck with that
Thanked by: blythburgh, pieman
Politically incorrect since 69

Luke_PieStalker

Re: About Blood(ly) time

Post by Luke_PieStalker » Sun Jun 27 2021 4:09pm

Maybe something like I'd just like to say that 'Dolly' was a adult female and it was a consensual and LOVING relationship. we're still friends she follows me on Twitter.
Just thought I'd better clear that up, don't want people thinking I'm a pervert.

By the way Ken have you changed you username on Grindr? Says KenCheese69' was blocked after an 'Incident' at a Flash mob gender reveal party?
You can get some cream from Boots if you need to. I have loyatly points.
Thanked by: kevinchess1

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Jun 28 2021 10:41am

I have never understood why the gay man in a loving relationship who never strays could not give blood but unmarried straight men who picked up different women every weekend could. Never made sense to me to ban someone because they were gay.
Thanked by: kevinchess1
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Mon Jun 28 2021 2:28pm

Testing the blood would have helped..... I had a huge transfusion in the mid 80s and only found out about the "tainted blood" scandal when I tried to donate later.............. and was "politely" refused.

I was hit crossing Gloucester Place, NW1, by the vehicular weapon of a 78 year-old ex-solicitor off to his country house and who had better things to do than watch for pedestrians.... It was a Maundy Thursday and I was off to a meeting at work and carrying one of those Samsonite Alloy/ABS cases that they advertised by having a truck roll over it .... the frame was cracked through by the impact, but saved my life as I was thrown over the car, not dragged under it. The police report read like an A-Z of Mercedes body panels (dented FR wing, Smashed headlight, dented bonnet, cracked windscreen, dented roof, dented tailgate..... you get the picture). I was left with an open compound comminuted fracture of my right radius and ulna and a compound fracture of the skull. I was in a coma for 8 days, had a plate fittted to my arm and took weeks to recover. Mr. Solicitor didn't stop straight away (he decided to stop 200 yards on) or come to see what he'd done, but complained to the Police that he'd be late to meet his wife! Outcome, no witnesses could be found (Central London, 0930 on a Thursday!!!) so Mr. Solicitor was told off for not stopping and let go - I got no apology nor any compensation - ex-solicitor, remember. (Bitter, even after all these years?, d'you think??)

Anyway, head wounds bleed, a LOT - so I was transfused. Then, when I came around they decided to operate on my arm (more blood). Luckily, my head healed and my arm still works (albeit with a fair fw scars and a slightly odd shape when the plate was fitted. (Ah, the plate - titanium... "It'll never have to ome out" said everyone. Three years later, I was back in hospital to have the bloody thing removed!!!). But there was a big question mark about the possibly tainted blood that nobody told me about at the time (and nobody seemed interested in doing any tests - they didn't really want to talk about the situation back then) so I was just told I couldn't donate.....

Not all memories are rosy!
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Jun 28 2021 8:58pm

macliam wrote:
Mon Jun 28 2021 2:28pm
Not all memories are rosy!
This is one of those times when the :thumbup: button seems inappropriate.
Thanked by: blythburgh, kevinchess1