Will you mask up after Monday aka Freedom day

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
expressman33

Re: Will you mask up after Monday aka Freedom day

Post by expressman33 » Fri Jul 16 2021 4:43pm

macliam wrote:
Fri Jul 16 2021 1:21pm
We can look forward to "New Infection Spike day" about 2-3 weeks after "Freedom Day" :shifty:

I guess it will be a test of vaccine effectiveness.......
51,870 recorded infections today and 717 hospital admissions
Thanked by: blythburgh

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Jul 16 2021 5:03pm

kevinchess1 wrote:
Fri Jul 16 2021 2:40pm
No.
If i go to a shop that asks me to wear a mask then I will.
but i might shop somewhere else next time.
I've been doublke jabbed and I think it's about time that all the restrictions were lifted.
if business want to keep it going then good for them But i think they will lose customers.
The mask is to protect others, not you. You don't know if they are double jabbed yet.

The government is telling us that 'enough' people are double or single jabbed now, and they are prepared to sacrifice the relatively small number of still vulnerable people so that the rest of us can go about our normal lives.

Until now, the guidance/rules on masks has come from the government, based on data and advice from the science and medial world.
From Monday, the government won't be issuing that advice. It's up to us. We don't have access to the same kind of data and scientific analysis, so we will make personal decisions based on our mood, general gut feel about things and what we read on Facebook. Control of the virus will no longer be based on scientific assessment; it will be based on our perception.

It's all very well calling it common sense, but remember this is the country that voted for Boaty McBoatface and Brexit, and that can't decide if our national football team are heroes or villains.
What we actually need is someone collating the data nationally and advising what we should or should not do so that our individual small actions collectively have a big impact.

To answer the original question, yes, I will continue to wear a mask in indoor locations and public transport at least until the case numbers start coming down again.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Jul 16 2021 5:05pm

macliam wrote:
Fri Jul 16 2021 1:21pm
I guess it will be a test of vaccine effectiveness.......
Yes. Our only defences will be vaccines and those of us who continue with some form of social distancing, masks etc.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Fri Jul 16 2021 5:06pm

Deleted. Duplicate post.
Last edited by Chadwick on Fri Jul 16 2021 8:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Jul 16 2021 5:25pm

expressman33 wrote:
Fri Jul 16 2021 4:34pm
Richard Frost wrote:
Fri Jul 16 2021 12:49pm
expressman33 wrote:
Fri Jul 16 2021 12:19pm

If I get on a bus and the driver is wearing a mask , yes . If I go in a shop and all the staff are wearing masks , yes . Otherwise no .
So follow the herd! Would it not be better if you had a mind of your own and looked to the safety of yourself and others rather than relying on what others were doing.
Not following the herd , masks are apparently worn not to protect the wearer but to protect others so whatever I decide in wearing a mask or not it won't look after my safety.

Cases of both norovirus and the flu are set to rise this winter after being artificially held down because of infection control measures taken due to the pandemic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57865112.
"We have already started to see cases rising for some of the other respiratory viruses and this reminds us that as we come out of lockdown we are likely to start seeing many other infections rising that may cause problems for public health and the NHS.
It is not unknown for those who have been vaccinated to catch covid (and therefore at the least be carriers) although not as seriously as those who have not. From the 19th it will be a choice whether to wear a mask or nor I prefer to exercise my choice and wear a mask to protect myself and others when in close contact with those not in my circle. You as are others are entitled to make your choice. I suspect the majority of people will choose not to wear a face covering so IMO you will be following the herd. That is fine, it is what choice is all about.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Jul 16 2021 5:51pm

The mask gives me an amount of protection and gives you a whole lot more. I will still mask up despite being double jabbed
Thanked by: sanity clause, Kelantan
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Jul 16 2021 7:08pm

Interesting article and guidance here.
What are the rules and guidance for face masks and coverings from 19 July? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Jul 17 2021 8:40am

expressman33 wrote:
Fri Jul 16 2021 4:34pm
Richard Frost wrote:
Fri Jul 16 2021 12:49pm
expressman33 wrote:
Fri Jul 16 2021 12:19pm
If I get on a bus and the driver is wearing a mask , yes . If I go in a shop and all the staff are wearing masks , yes . Otherwise no .
So follow the herd! Would it not be better if you had a mind of your own and looked to the safety of yourself and others rather than relying on what others were doing.
Not following the herd , masks are apparently worn not to protect the wearer but to protect others so whatever I decide in wearing a mask or not it won't look after my safety.
Masks give the wearer some protection and those around them a great deal of protection if the wearer has covid or is a carrier with no symptoms
Thanked by: Kelantan
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pieman

Post by pieman » Sat Jul 17 2021 11:38am

marginally off topic - but just to confirm that you can still catch covid after being double vaccinated -

happened to two colleagues at work in the past two weeks.

Not sure about necessarily being less serious

- in the first wave I knew people that caught it and had symptoms ranging from one that was rushed to hospital and thought unlikely to come out (fortunately they did) to others who experienced nothing worse than mild flu like symptoms -

so there was a range of effects even back then.

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Sat Jul 17 2021 12:33pm

Richard Frost wrote:
Fri Jul 16 2021 5:25pm

You as are others are entitled to make your choice. I suspect the majority of people will choose not to wear a face covering so IMO you will be following the herd. That is fine, it is what choice is all about.
Just because the majority are doing what I am doing doesn't mean I am "following the herd" more likely the herd is following me.