Is the TV licence fee worth the money?

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Is the TV licence fee worth the money?

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jul 28 2021 9:38am

duplicate :shock: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by blythburgh on Thu Jul 29 2021 11:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

blythburgh

Re: Is the TV licence fee worth the money?

Post by blythburgh » Wed Jul 28 2021 9:38am

blythburgh wrote:
Wed Jul 28 2021 9:38am
Met up with a couple yesterday. She once complained bitterly to us about having to pay the TV licence as "it was not optional".

Then to her fury she found out that once her as she had just had her 75th birthday they could get the licence for free but her husband was already over 75 by the time she found out. Applied and managed to get a refund from the time he hit 75.

Why did I not tell them about the free licence? Well I felt they could afford it, she has a pension from John Lewis (worked there long enough to remain a Partner with all its benefits and a pension when she retired) and her state pension. The husband get so much works pension and state pension he is a taxpayer. So I felt why should they not pay the licence fee when they get more money per month than people who are still working and have to pay.

Yesterday she said they have dropped TV and only watch Netflix which she thinks is far better value and anyway the BBC news is so depressing, all that covid news. (Which they think is mainly lies put out by a Govt. that is trying to control us.) And the programmes are far too violent. But they love Netflix as can watch some historical stuff and lots of World War 2 programmes. I was on my best behaviour so did not mention that War programmes are not only violent but the violence and suffering they talk about happened to real people not an actor who washed away the "blood" when the cameras stopped rolling. And many of the historical programmes they watch are also often violent. But they are not set in the 21st century so that is OK I guess.

I get radio, tv, BBC Iplayer and the internet all for just over £3 a week. OK so it is twice per month for their Netflix but look what I get for my money. And apart from the news I do not see much violence in the programmes I choose to watch. Even the crime ones I watch tend to gloss over the violence of the murder and concentrate on "whodunit"
Thanked by: Kelantan
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Wed Jul 28 2021 5:49pm

blythburgh wrote:
The husband get so much works pension and state pension he is a taxpayer.
It doesn't mean you are rich if you pay tax ( £12,570 per year or £13,827 if he claims the marriage allowance )

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Jul 29 2021 11:23am

expressman33 wrote:
Wed Jul 28 2021 5:49pm
blythburgh wrote:
The husband get so much works pension and state pension he is a taxpayer.
It doesn't mean you are rich if you pay tax ( £12,570 per year or £13,827 if he claims the marriage allowance )
Not rich but no mortgage/rent, not children to support so can afford the licence. Others work full time and do not earn enough to pay tax but still have to pay for the licence.

xrppzi

Post by xrppzi » Fri Jul 30 2021 9:41am

There are no longer free licences for all over 75s - the rules changed just shortly before we would have qualified!

From TV Licencing website:

Can I apply for a free over 75 TV Licence?

If you or someone you live with are over 74 and receive Pension Credit you can apply for a free over 75 TV Licence. Pension Credit can be in the name of the licence holder, or in their partner’s name if they are a couple.

If you or your partner don’t receive Pension Credit you’ll need to continue to pay for your licence.

If you live in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man, different conditions may apply.

We recommend you apply for a free over 75 TV Licence when you’re 74. It makes things simpler when you turn 75.

If your application is accepted, you’ll still need to pay for your TV Licence until your 75th birthday. So, please don’t change or cancel your current payment method.

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Jul 30 2021 10:28am

I can see why the BBC made the change. But if you know any pensioners you feel might benefit make sure they are aware of Pension Credit. I can still remember a piece on the local news programme. The lady was turning off the light and using the light from the TV set so she could save precious money. Well into her 70's and had no idea she was entitled to Pension Credit. So putting herself at risk of falling in the poor light as she was having to save money in every way she could. And that was only a year or two back.

And if you think it is wrong that the Beeb is not doing the Olympics very well this year remember they had to bid against a huge American company and years of a frozen licence fee plus paying for free TV licences means they could not afford to pay more. I think more sport and other programmes will go the same way in the years to come.

I am still angry that the Govt that wants to destroy the BBC as it is now forced them to agree to pay for the licences that were a Govt. idea in the first place.

planteria

Post by planteria » Fri Jul 30 2021 1:13pm

blythburgh wrote:
Why did I not tell them about the free licence? Well I felt they could afford it, she has a pension from John Lewis....
this is extraordinary stuff :think:

planteria

Post by planteria » Fri Jul 30 2021 1:20pm

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Jul 30 2021 10:28am
I am still angry that the Govt that wants to destroy the BBC as it is now...
i think it's days of being reformed drastically are long overdue. their pervy agenda has been pushed too hard for too long, and yet we've (most of us) been forced to pay for it. still amazing that so many political decisions have gone against them, with their volume and reach, but all credit to the people of the UK for seeing through it all :clap:.

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Jul 30 2021 2:27pm

planteria wrote:
Fri Jul 30 2021 1:20pm
blythburgh wrote:
Fri Jul 30 2021 10:28am
I am still angry that the Govt that wants to destroy the BBC as it is now...
i think it's days of being reformed drastically are long overdue. their pervy agenda has been pushed too hard for too long, and yet we've (most of us) been forced to pay for it. still amazing that so many political decisions have gone against them, with their volume and reach, but all credit to the people of the UK for seeing through it all :clap:.
As someone might have said
planteria wrote:
Fri Jul 30 2021 1:13pm
this is extraordinary stuff :think:
:eh:
There are issues to be resolved with the Beeb, but it is what it is - and I'd rather see it than Fox News or many other stations. My issue with it is the desire to "keep up" (or should that be "down"?) with commercial rivals and the ridiculous fees paid to presenters - however that is not something that a government will solve.

In Portugal, the "state" channels carry advertising, are of similar quality to commercial stations, but do nothing well. They are supported by a different manner of funding (as well as fees from advertising), this being a fixed-rate deduction on every electricity bill - whether or not you have a TV, let alone watch the channels!!
Thanked by: Kelantan
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Jul 30 2021 2:30pm

planteria wrote:
Fri Jul 30 2021 1:20pm
Their pervy agenda? I think that's pretty ridiculous, it ain't perfect but generally does a satisfactory job. There are many services the BBC provides that are unmatched by commercial rivals; much of the industry learns their trade while in BBC roles too. Once the BBC is removed, everything else is likely to go up in cost and down in quality. I'm sure it'll be missed when it's gone, including by those short-sighted enough to be clamouring for its destruction during this wave of populism.
Thanked by: pabenny, Kelantan