More plastic can be easily recycled

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
blythburgh

Re: More plastic can be easily recycled

Post by blythburgh » Mon Aug 09 2021 9:47am

pakefield wrote:
Sun Aug 08 2021 7:07pm
Sarah wrote:
Sun Aug 08 2021 10:22am
The packaging on battery packs and appliances has carried warnings and advice for decades now;
I did not know that. Bet most are like me, check on the stand which one I want and get home, remove the battery and recycle the card without ever looking at it.
I am as guilty. We do use rechargable batteries but sometimes we need a pack of AAA or our housebound neighbour needs one. Cannot say that I have ever read the small print either.

And our smoke/carbon monoxide alarms have built in batteries these days. Is there a warning they must not be chucked in the black bin but recycled? No idea, so long since we bought them and not even sure I knew then.

Thankfully I am aware that they need to go to the household recycling centre. And even more lucky to be able to go online and book a slot there so no waiting in a very long queue anymore. But the most lucky thing is in probably no more than a mile away. It is in the town that is in the far top right hand corner of my Council area. Two district Councils are now one. But I know that some places are 15 or more miles away from a recycling centre. How many of those people would like to recycle but put it in the black bin? Not blaming the Council for closing so many local recycling centres, they had not choice given the constant cuts in the grant they get from the Govt. and caring for vulnerable and children has to be put ahead of recycling
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Mon Aug 09 2021 10:00am

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Aug 09 2021 9:47am
And our smoke/carbon monoxide alarms have built in batteries these days. Is there a warning they must not be chucked in the black bin but recycled? No idea, so long since we bought them and not even sure I knew then.
Yes, there will be a marking on them. The detection unit also has a limited life span.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Mon Aug 09 2021 10:37am

There are usually collection points for standard household batteries in major supermarkets, as well as some workplaces and public buildings. However, many stopped operating through the pandemic; hopefully they'll return when possible.
Thanked by: Kelantan

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Aug 09 2021 2:31pm

pakefield wrote:
Sun Aug 08 2021 7:07pm
Sarah wrote:
Sun Aug 08 2021 10:22am
The packaging on battery packs and appliances has carried warnings and advice for decades now;
I did not know that. Bet most are like me, check on the stand which one I want and get home, remove the battery and recycle the card without ever looking at it.
You've never seen this symbol?

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Mon Aug 09 2021 2:32pm

blythburgh wrote:
Mon Aug 09 2021 9:47am
Thankfully I am aware that they need to go to the household recycling centre. And even more lucky to be able to go online and book a slot there so no waiting in a very long queue anymore. But the most lucky thing is in probably no more than a mile away. It is in the town that is in the far top right hand corner of my Council area. Two district Councils are now one. But I know that some places are 15 or more miles away from a recycling centre. How many of those people would like to recycle but put it in the black bin? Not blaming the Council for closing so many local recycling centres, they had not choice given the constant cuts in the grant they get from the Govt. and caring for vulnerable and children has to be put ahead of recycling
There are often battery collection points in shops.
Thanked by: blythburgh, Kelantan

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Mon Aug 09 2021 5:20pm

Yes we put them in a bin in Tesco. And as we know what a battery is we do not bother to look at more than the front to find the one we need I have never noticed the symbol.

I think the battery companies should be pushing the recycle bit in their adverts as I am sure we are not the only ones not to read the packaging
Thanked by: Kelantan
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Mon Aug 09 2021 5:30pm

It is possible to recycle batteries at home. They should be put in a container or bag and left on top of your green recycle bin. Most if not all councils will accept them in this way. You can check your local council website to confirm if you feel the need. In fact all council websites have very clear instructions on what they will or will not accept. Not to be put in the bin as batteries have been known to cause fires in the refuse truck.
Thanked by: blythburgh