Jim Browning catches scammers in action!

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
Sarah

Jim Browning catches scammers in action!

Post by Sarah » Sat Sep 11 2021 8:56pm

Jim Browning
Wikipedia wrote:Jim Browning is the Internet alias of a London-based software engineer and YouTuber from Northern Ireland whose content primarily focuses on scambaiting and exposing scam call centres.
He has a lot of really excellent and enlightening videos. I'd pretty much recommend watching as many of them as possible to see and understand exactly how the scammers operate. It nevertheless also seems especially worthwhile to highlight his latest upload, which features a person in the UK seemingly being influenced or coerced in some way to conduct scams as a proxy for one of the typical far-east call centres. The basic point to remember here is that a local accent doesn't make the stranger on a call any more trustworthy!
Jim Browning wrote:If you show your relatives any of my videos, this is the one to show. It's possibly the most dangerous scam that there is: it will wipe out your entire bank account if you fall for it. I've had to hold back for over a year before I posted this video because the UK police had to investigate the woman featured here. They eventually concluded that she was easily influenced, naïve and vulnerable enough to attempt to help scammers. She even allowed her bank account to be used as part of the scam.

Chadwick

Re: Jim Browning catches scammers in action!

Post by Chadwick » Tue Sep 14 2021 9:01am

Good reminder. We're so used to single level scams ("Hello, I'm Microsoft, you need to give control of your PC") that we can get caught out by multi level scams like this, where the first level is really just creating a scenario for the actual scammer to exist in.

Thing is, we now can't tell when it really is our bank calling. I once received a text alerting me to suspicious activity on a credit card, with a number to call or text back. Damn right I didn't touch it. I called the number on the back of my card and they told me the text was genuine. I told them there was no way I would click a link in a text, but I suppose it is a quick and easy way to alert me that there's a problem; just don't include a link or number because that looks like a scam.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Sarah

Re: Jim Browning catches scammers in action!

Post by Sarah » Mon Apr 18 2022 8:43pm

New 'Inside a Tax Scam' video from Jim Browning - as always, it's worth a look:
https://youtu.be/mPpuUnQ6cac
Thanked by: blythburgh