Impact of no-deal Brexit on grocery prices

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Sarah

Re: Impact of no-deal Brexit on grocery prices

Post by Sarah » Wed Sep 15 2021 10:39am

He presumably meant to write "11 billion" in front of the millions (not "1150 billion"), i.e. 33 weeks x £350 million = £11550 million. We all know the Brexit bus claim was a fantasy in the first place, the UK never paid that much and the benefits we enjoyed as an EU member dwarfed what we did pay, so obviously that money doesn't exist and won't be going to the NHS. It's been estimated that Brexit has cost the UK around £800 million every week, which is a difference of more than £1 billion a week compared to what Leave voters were encouraged to believe.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brex ... -qg8s6ltkt
Thanked by: blythburgh

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Sep 15 2021 12:25pm

But, but, they voted to stop all those foreigners from driving trucks, picking fruit and veg and working in social care, so that Brits could fail to do those jobs......

Oh, and to stop the EU imposing laws, like free mobile roaming and tests for towing trailers, b*s+@rds!!!!
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Sep 17 2021 8:55am

macliam wrote:
Wed Sep 15 2021 12:25pm
But, but, they voted to stop all those foreigners from driving trucks, picking fruit and veg and working in social care, so that Brits could fail to do those jobs......

Oh, and to stop the EU imposing laws, like free mobile roaming and tests for towing trailers, b*s+@rds!!!!
The EU wanted to introduce tests for towing trailers? I heard on the local TV news that one firm is facing a big loss of income as tests for towing trailers and caravans are to be scrapped. The firm offered training so you could pass the test.

No test for towing trailers and caravans, lower level of training and testing for HGV drivers is what our Govt. have decided.

How safe are our roads going to be now we have all these under trained drivers on the road?
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Richard Frost

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Sep 17 2021 9:02am

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Sep 17 2021 8:55am
macliam wrote:
Wed Sep 15 2021 12:25pm

The EU wanted to introduce tests for towing trailers? I heard on the local TV news that one firm is facing a big loss of income as tests for towing trailers and caravans are to be scrapped. The firm offered training so you could pass the test.

No test for towing trailers and caravans, lower level of training and testing for HGV drivers is what our Govt. have decided.

How safe are our roads going to be now we have all these under trained drivers on the road?
I understood they were combining the tests so that it was done in one go rather than taking the time up to have two separate tests,

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Fri Sep 17 2021 1:11pm

We'll no longer be sending send good British food to Johnny Foreigner

M&S to close French food stores

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Sep 17 2021 3:02pm

pabenny wrote:
Fri Sep 17 2021 1:11pm
We'll no longer be sending send good British food to Johnny Foreigner

M&S to close French food stores
I think some would suggest this means M&S become "even more British!" - positive outcome. Rather like lemmings testing their aerodynamics.....

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Sep 18 2021 10:19am

expressman33 wrote:
Wed Sep 15 2021 9:01am
blythburgh wrote:
Wed Sep 15 2021 8:23am
David Powell wrote:

We are 33 weeks into 2021, according to the Brexit Bus the NHS is owed 1150 billion and five hundred and fifty million pounds.
Where the f*ck is the money and why are you not angry about that? You won, do something and claim the takings for us. #BrexitLies #BrexitDisaster

Maybe those who still believe Johnson's lies can tell me where the money is and why it is not being spent on the NHS as promised
Where do those figures come from ?
I am assuming he has taken the weeks since the referendum vote and the amount the liars promised for the NHS on the bus. Sadly some voted leave in the belief all that money would go to the NHS. The truth was we sent less money to Brussels than stated on the bus thanks to the rebate Margaret Thatcher negotiated for us. And it took no notice of the money the EU was returning to us in various ways.

But how s/he got the figures is immaterial, the point is we were promised a bonanza for the NHS which has never happened
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue Sep 28 2021 12:06pm

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Wed Nov 03 2021 10:03am

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Nov 03 2021 10:21am

expressman33 wrote:
Wed Nov 03 2021 10:03am
Except, of course, that the EU are NOT causing the shortages in the UK..... that's all part of "Taking Back Control"