The Empire Strikes Back

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
Chadwick

The Empire Strikes Back

Post by Chadwick » Fri Sep 17 2021 9:44am

Imperial measurements could be made legal again.
https://inews.co.uk/news/pounds-ounces- ... es-1204109

They were never illegal - you just had to price everything in metric and you could add the imperial prices if you wanted. But that legislation is now under review and it could be perfectly valid to price products in just imperial measures.

This would be a huge Brexit bonus, as we will be able to compare 30p/kg with 14p/lb and immediately know which is the better price.

We'll also be able to put the crown symbol on a pint glass again, instead of the CE symbol that replaced it 14 years ago. You'll recall the hue and cry at the time and how it dominated the debate in 2016.

Join us next week for the reintroduction of the shilling and groat, as we continue to plumb the depths of the brexit bonus barrel.
Thanked by: blythburgh

Sarah

Re: The Empire Strikes Back

Post by Sarah » Fri Sep 17 2021 11:24am

The crown mark never actually went away, of course, it continued to be used in addition to the CE line, which was already proclaimed a "victory" at the time!

The department of culture war has obviously been working overtime this week...

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Sep 17 2021 2:54pm

A weights and measures inspector writes:
The UK agreed, when it signed the OIML treaty in 1856 to move to a single system of measurement (S.I. units). Metric measures have been lawful in the UK since 1875.

Are you proposing the UK leaves the OIML treaty?

Only Myanmar and the USA currently use imperial measures (US measures are actually slightly different). How does this play with your claim of 'Global Britain'?

We have a national shortage of Weights and Measures Inspectors. Are you going to pay for new inspectors to be trained (which currently takes 6 years)?

Certificates of approval for imperial metrological equipment have long since lapsed. Will you subsidise the industry cost of certification?

Most imperial local standards and testing equipment have long been retired. Will you subsidise Local Authorities for the cost of this equipment and the creation of new metrological laboratories?
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1438 ... 08003.html
https://twitter.com/PippaMusgrave1/stat ... 08003?s=20
Thanked by: blythburgh, pabenny

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Sep 17 2021 2:58pm

I'll bet you a Guinea that some members of the current Government would like to see an end to the confusion between metric and Imperial measures............ by dropping the "foreign" metric ones :shifty:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Sat Sep 18 2021 10:39pm

I suspect the only people who will be affected by this are some market traders who will revert to lbs for their primary measurement. Nonetheless it will be hailed as a brexit win.

I see Nigel Farage has already taken to Twitter to bray his glee at this victory over the evil EU. Nigel is apparently forgetting that we went metric before joining the EEC, not as a result of it. But Nigel tends to 'forget' inconvenient facts when there's a more appealing lie to peddle.

pabenny

Post by pabenny » Tue Sep 21 2021 10:39am

Now we've Taken Back Control we can also return to £sd instead of that decimal currency that Europe imposed on us. Hooray!

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Sep 21 2021 10:46am

pabenny wrote:
Tue Sep 21 2021 10:39am
Now we've Taken Back Control we can also return to £sd instead of that decimal currency that Europe imposed on us. Hooray!
Yay.... and a return to traditional British punishments like hanging, flogging and branding - none of this namby-pamby foreign stuff like "parole", I mean it's even a bloody French word for goodness sake!!

Obvs, the Channel issue could be solved by taking back control in Calais and the western seaboard from the froggy surrender-monkeys.... they used to belong to the crown anyway - and then we could send the army into Northern Ire..... ooops, tried that already :oops:

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Sep 21 2021 10:50am

With the withdrawal of the £20 Covid increase, the increases in NIC and Council Tax for "Social Care" (ie, getting the government out of a hole on the NHS by funding the pay increases they were forced into) and the absolutely nothing to do with Brexit increases in basic commodities, I'm waiting for the reintroduction of another traditional British institution - the debtor's prison!!
Thanked by: gle1975, blythburgh

gle1975

Post by gle1975 » Wed Sep 22 2021 12:47pm

I still can't get used to height in metres or weight in grams. But I'm used to cheese etc being in grams now.

They should bring back back the old pound shillings and pence system - it would be chaos!

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » Wed Sep 22 2021 4:21pm

Thanked by: Sarah, markat, blythburgh