A Chieftain has passed......

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

A Chieftain has passed......

Post by macliam » Tue Oct 12 2021 6:40pm

Paddy Moloney, piper, tin whistle player, composer and founder of The Chieftains in 1962, has died, aged 83

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58881862
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdY9CtI5mOA&t=4s

"Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam" -RIP
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Re: A Chieftain has passed......

Post by blythburgh » Wed Oct 13 2021 8:50am

Very sad news but the music lives on so he lives on
Thanked by: macliam
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Oct 13 2021 9:31am

I met him about 20 years ago, when I went to a seisiún in North Dublin where a piper I know was taking part. Paddy was treated like the master he was, but no matter how much they asked, he wouldn't play.

He seemed a nice enough guy, but maybe a bit too serious for such an unstructured stage.
Thanked by: blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Oct 15 2021 10:10am

macliam wrote:
Wed Oct 13 2021 9:31am
I met him about 20 years ago, when I went to a seisiún in North Dublin where a piper I know was taking part. Paddy was treated like the master he was, but no matter how much they asked, he wouldn't play.

He seemed a nice enough guy, but maybe a bit too serious for such an unstructured stage.
I suspect he would not play because he did not want anyone to think "I thought (the other players) were great until I hear Paddy now I know they were not that great after all." And that thought would be because he was Paddy Moloney not on the performance they just heard.
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Oct 15 2021 10:51am

blythburgh wrote:
Fri Oct 15 2021 10:10am
macliam wrote:
Wed Oct 13 2021 9:31am

I suspect he would not play because he did not want anyone to think "I thought (the other players) were great until I hear Paddy now I know they were not that great after all." And that thought would be because he was Paddy Moloney not on the performance they just heard.
No, he was plainly uncomfortable at the prospect of playing something he had not prepared (as is the norm at a seisiún). Nobody thought ill of it, but there was a tangible disappointment amongst the punters.
Still, he was a great player and a star of the resurgence of Irish traditional music. Intrestingly, he went to school (same class) as the last surviving founding member of the Dubliners. Small world.
Thanked by: blythburgh