NI Protocol

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

NI Protocol

Post by macliam » Wed Oct 13 2021 1:51pm

So, today we'll find out what the EU are offering as a salve to the issues with the Protocol, but whatever they offer, David Frost has already gamed the result in favour of confrontation.

In his Lisbon speech yesterday, he set out issues that he knows cannot be resolved within the current agreement (an agreement that he negotiated and agreed) and so left open the option for the UK Government to ignore parts of the protocol - which was put in place due to the British Government's failure to suggest any practical way to avoid a "hard border".

There was no mention of the significant advantages to NI of their position within the EU single market and the absence of checks on the border with the Republic. There was no suggested solution to the actual issues reported over the past year - but, now that the EU are suggesting remedies for the "sausage wars", etc., Frost has upped the ante by insisting that the ECJ be stripped of oversight of this access to the single market. A demand that he knows cuts to the very root of the EUs governance - and which has never been challenged by the other third-party states that have access to the single market. It is a return to the cherry-picking of the Brexit negotiations.

The "reason" for this demand for a "new treaty" is because the existing Protocol "is not supported by one community" - that being the Loyalists, represented by the DUP.... a pro-Brexit party at odds with the overall vote in NI. It does seem odd that this minority is now so important, given that the majority view on Brexit was completely ignored

But to what end is Frost pre-empting the EUs offering and demanding the renegotiation of a treaty he agreed in 2019? Do the government want NI out of the single market? Do they want border-checks reinstated? Are they trying to force the EU to establish a hard border to protect their singe market? Or is it, as Dominic Cummings says, that Johnson's government never intended to abide by the agreement with the EU anyway?
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

blythburgh

Re: NI Protocol

Post by blythburgh » Thu Oct 14 2021 8:26am

We must show the red wall we are serious about Brexit. Red wall voters are losing Universal Credit payments, huge energy bill rises, jobs at risk due to the energy price uncapped prices. Must make them remember nothing but Brexit matters when it comes to the voting booth
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Oct 14 2021 10:55am

Whoops.....
DUP MP Ian Paisley Jr wrote:Boris Johnson did tell me personally... after agreeing to the protocol, he would sign up to changing that protocol and indeed tearing it up
DUP MP Ian Paisley Jr tells Newsnight that before the 2019 election the PM wanted to change the NI protocol
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status ... page460%2F

So much for negotating in good faith....... either Boris was lying to the EU or he was lying to the DUP.... or both!

macliam

Post by macliam » Fri Oct 15 2021 1:25am

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Fri Oct 15 2021 10:06am

lol
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Fri Oct 15 2021 12:04pm

blythburgh wrote:
Thu Oct 14 2021 8:26am
Red wall voters are losing Universal Credit payments,
What are they losing ?

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri Oct 15 2021 12:08pm

The £20/wk uplift, presumably.

Yeah, it was intended to be temporary, but clearly needs to be permanent for many claimants.

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Oct 16 2021 8:15am

Thanked by: Sarah, blythburgh

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Sat Oct 16 2021 9:28am

funny but both cartoons have a very sad side to them

macliam

Post by macliam » Sat Oct 16 2021 10:26am

The cartoons merely reflect the craziness of the world they portray.......

How can it be that anyone actually supports the government reneging oninternational treaties?