British Gas Homecare

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

British Gas Homecare

Post by macliam » Sat Oct 30 2021 1:28pm

My floor-standing gas combi boiler has been under the British Gas Homecare maintenance programme since new. As it has got older, the monthly cost increased to the point where I changed the original "all-in" monthly premium to a £50 excess policy. This covered a service each year and callouts charged at £50 for parts and labour.

However, "due to Covid" the service for 2020 was not carried out and, although this contract year started in February, no service has been offered this year either.......

When I switched the boiler on earlier this month, it lost all power. I checked all fuses, etc., but no luck - so I arranged a visit - advising I had no heating or hot water. Three days later, an engineer arrived. He got the power back (though he wouldn't say how...), but as soon as the heating tried to cut in, the power went again. Eventually, he diagnosed a failed diverter valve, but said the part was no longer available..... so it was time to renew the boiler :shock:
At first, he said BG didn't offer a floor-mounted boiler, but when I said I was unhappy with the idea of changing to a wall-mounted boiler (due to the amount of refit required post-installation), he said they might be able to..... :roll: He then arranged a visit from a BG surveyor.

Said surveyor arrived 3 days later. He immediately gave many reasons why a replacement floor-mounted boiler was a bad idea, my mains flow-rate was below what the boiler could produce, it would cost more, blah, blah. He then spent over an hour specifying for a boiler I didn't want - refused to produce more than one quote for alternate options and did not provide a quote for the floor-mounted boiler. I reminded him of this at the end... and he said he would talk to his manager to see if they could offer said boiler. Since then, I've heard nothing, even after an emailed reminder.

Th BG quote was £4,300 altogether, for a boiler I didn't really want which had a flow rate 1 litre per minute LESS than their measure ofmy mains pressure.... and includung a 5 year guarantee with a "reduced" homecare subscription. This for a boiler that would leave my utility room needing a complete refit, once BG had done their work.

So I checked the comparitive price of a floor-mounted boiler against the wall-hung boiler specified and found that the former was about £600 dearer to buy, but that it would be like for like installation, so would require minimal refit (and additional cost). So I spoke to the regional agent for the boiler manufacturer and they offered to quote for the work. Their surveyor came out within 2 days. He immediately checked my flow rate and said it was actually 3 litres per minute MORE than BG had claimed (so therefore their boiler would be significantly underspec'd), that there was no issue fitting a new A-rated replacement floor-mounted boiler to replace mine which would come with a 10-year Parts and Labour Warranty, subject to an annual service. He also discussed installation options and pointed out issues that the BG guy had glossed over. He said their quote would cover everything required and it included the required things BG added as "extras" on their quote - and that the parts would all come from the boiler manufacturer.

Then the quote arrived by email less than an hour later....... under £4000, for a boiler that was better than BG's offer, that actually cost £600 more to buy as a unit and that meant there would be no need to pay through the nose for a maintenance contract (and that's a lot of money over 10 years!).

Guess which one I'm going with :roll:

So, BG failed to do what they were contracted to do (and then charged me £50 to tell me my boiler was kaput), lied about the replacement availability, specified an underpowered "alternative", produced a complex quote with required items shown as "add-ons" and, basically, tried to sell me what THEY wanted to install rather than what I wanted (or needed), at an inflated price and with a continual trickle-feed for maintenance. :evil:

But how many people would go elsewhere.....?? :eh:
Thanked by: blythburgh, emsky
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

macliam

Re: British Gas Homecare

Post by macliam » Mon Nov 01 2021 8:21pm

Tried today to cancel the BG Homecare contract (because new boiler is being instaled Saturday - yipee!).

3 attempts on their no-helpline (0333 number, so Paid-for), "terribly busy try website"

Website- as you'd guess, has no information at all, but eventually find "chat" link.

Call on link, Agent with Indian name suggests writing a letter (!!!), begrudgingly puts me onto complaints queue.

Start at 16th on complaints queue, work down to 2nd over next 20 minutes.... then chat terminates!

Restart chat, new "agent" says to call helpline as nobody else can end contract. I say NO!

I then cancel DD and inform Bank of reason (because next monthly fee will soon be due).

I then contact Resolver to complain to BG - and claim compenstation for the last 18months when they've taken the money (c£500), but done nothing....

More soon, same time, same channel, same turkeys........
Thanked by: blythburgh, emsky

macliam

Post by macliam » Tue Nov 16 2021 11:45am

I have now had 2 replies from British Gas to my complaint via Resolver. The first was an automated (and unconnected) reply..... the second was an automated reply saying that my complaint was being forwarded to their "care team" (this after over a week!!)

Then today, I had a call from a nice young lady enquiring about my homecare account, because I was showing as a "lapsed client". I told her that I had cancelled the DD after attempting (and failing) to discuss cancellation first. She asked why.....

So, I explained, clearly and calmly. "OK", she said, "I understand and I will cancel your account. However, should you wish to use our service again I can offer you a 50% discount...." WHAT?!! 50% - what on earth is the profit margin on this "service"?

I still await an answer to the complaint via Resolver - and am more determined than ever to pursue compensation.
Thanked by: expressman33, blythburgh, emsky

macliam

Post by macliam » Wed Nov 17 2021 6:13pm

Today, an email from BG confirming cancellation of my Homrcare (sic) contract - and saying "remember you can come back to us at any time.". Yeah, right.

Still no response to the Resolver complaint.
Thanked by: blythburgh