What would an extra £100m do for Social care?

Discussion about miscellaneous topics not covered by other forums
macliam

What would an extra £100m do for Social care?

Post by macliam » Wed Nov 17 2021 6:29pm

Question as title - because, today one of the 8 British F35 fighters crashed into the sea. Each one costs about that sum. :wtf:

So, £100m has gone to the bottom of the sea - and, no doubt, the fighter will be replaced at another £100m. Whilst we are not engaging anyone. :roll:

Meanwhile, it takes a NI increase to put any money towards Social care...... :x
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Sarah

Re: What would an extra £100m do for Social care?

Post by Sarah » Wed Nov 17 2021 9:02pm

I wouldn't count on any of the NI increase actually going towards social care.
Thanked by: blythburgh, macliam

blythburgh

Post by blythburgh » Thu Nov 18 2021 7:52am

It is going into the NHS at first anyway. People are in hospital because they cannot get a bed in a care home or there is no carers available if they could be sent home. Whilst they are in a bed no patient who needs that bed can have it.

If you have not seen the Ed Balls 2 part series about working in the care sector do catch up on iplayer. It was on BBC2 but forget the title. He was shocked at what he found out about the system, I was not. My parents owned a small care home when I was growing up. My late dear neighbour had to have carers for the last couple of years of her life.

Ed was shocked that the in home carers were only paid for the hours they were in the home, travelling time is unpaid work. Wonder how many people realise how little per hour these wonderful people actually get paid.
Thanked by: macliam
Keep smiling because the light at the end of someone's tunnel may be you, Ron Cheneler

macliam

Post by macliam » Thu Nov 18 2021 12:01pm

...... particularly when set against the ridiculous charges for any care services. As usual, it's the bosses and "administration costs" who take the lion's share and leave people losing everything they've worked for.

The new cap is less than honest, excluding many things, particularly for those who cannot stay in their own home. Even then, £85k from someone with a flat in Lowestoft hurts a lot more that the same for someone who lives at Glemham Hall!

It may be "better than nothing", but it's not a fair outcome. Why not make the cap as a percentage of assets? (although, even then, as with taxation, the rich would find a way to hide their true worth).

Like reorganization of the NHS, things like this need to be done by someone with no agenda other than improving the service for the users
Thanked by: blythburgh
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

expressman33

Post by expressman33 » Thu Nov 18 2021 3:05pm

Government changes rules on social care cap https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59323311