Racism and Sexism

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
jaytee

Racism and Sexism

Post by jaytee » Fri Nov 19 2021 8:34am

'Former England cricket batter Alex Hales has apologised for "all the offence" he has caused after a photo showing him wearing black make-up was published.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59344022

Race and gender are both protected characteristics under the Equality Act, yet to imitate a person of a different race is offensive, but to imitate a person of a different gender isn't!

You will no longer see shows such as the Black and White Minstrals, but shows like Ru Paul's Drag Race are regularly on TV. :think:
Thanked by: expressman33

expressman33

Re: Racism and Sexism

Post by expressman33 » Fri Nov 19 2021 11:30am

So that stops a "white" person going to a fancy dress party as Bob Marley or a "black" person going as Elton John or Elvis Presley.

Pot Kettle Black "Racism target cricketer Rafiq apologises for anti-Semitic messages"
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/2 ... messages-1

macliam

Re: Racism and Sexism

Post by macliam » Fri Nov 19 2021 11:52am

Two wrongs never make a right - the fact that Rafiq used an anti-semitic term in a message 10 years ago does not mean that what he is saying today about Yorkshire cricket is untrue or that the behaviours discussed are OK. From what I understand he was discussing a colleague who had ducked out of buying a round - and presumably if he had called him a "tight Yorkshireman" it would have been OK.... or would it?

There's a world of difference between racism that limits the life chances of a minority based only on their "difference" and a stupid remark or action - and particularly an action that now seems offensive in hindsight, but we seem to be being asked to treat the two as the same. This isn't done to damn those who get caught dressing up or using a racist expression, it's being used to excuse those who actually do discriminate and to block allegations about systemic racism. We need to deal with this type of conflation NOW, because it is becoming ridiculous.

The anti-semitism row in the Labour party was subjected to the same manipulation (and for reasons that had little to do with anti-semitism). The rules that Labour party MPs were being asked to sign up to, effectively prevented them from criticising Israel, or made any comments on Israel's actions subject to allegations of anti-semitism. Again, there is a world of difference between comment on an individual or group and condemning the excessive use of force by a state agent, but the two were conflated' to prevent real criticism.

I have heard even a few Irish comedians, on telling a variation of the classic "Irish" joke in a UK setting, then say with a grin "I can say that...... but you can't!!". :mrgreen:
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me