Chesham & Amersham

Topical debate, moral dilemmas and quirky questions. Join fellow shareholders in civilised discussions of issues of interest
macliam

Re: Chesham & Amersham

Post by macliam » Fri Dec 03 2021 12:37pm

An old colleague said to me recently that if Boris Johnson led a gang of skinheads down Whitehall and decapitated Keir Starmer on the steps of Parliament, some people would still say that Starmer deserved it and that Boris had to do it due to the actions of the last Labour government. They'd then say it proved Starmer was too weak and that Labour are too disorganized to to be a valid opposition.......
Thanked by: Richard Frost
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me

Richard Frost

Re: Chesham & Amersham

Post by Richard Frost » Fri Dec 03 2021 12:53pm

pakefield wrote:
Fri Dec 03 2021 11:24am
Richard Frost wrote:
Fri Dec 03 2021 10:03am
Sarah wrote:
Fri Oct 08 2021 1:45pm

Yes, it apparently is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bexle ... stituency)
Unsurprising result, Tory hold

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59505204 vastly reduced majority on an extremely low turnout. The lowest since 2018

Labour came second with a 10% swing
Perhaps more concerning Reform came 3rd
with Green party and Liberal Democrats losing their deposits
Lib Dems and possibly Greens are short of money so choosing which seats to target in the bye elections. This was always going to be how much the Tory vote weighed, no need to actually count the votes election.

But a low turnout (Tory voters will turn out when others cannot be bothered as it is only a by election etc) and still a 10% swing to Labour. Reform aka Brexit Party was not that much of a surprise But still only 6.6% at a time when you can vote for them and then vote Tory at the General Election when every MP could be important.
Labour is likely to be very short of money soon following this announcement by UNITE
Labour’s biggest union donor is set to cut funding for the party as its boss said more needed to be done for workers.

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham told The Guardian that Unite would still pay £1 million in affiliation fees to Labour.

But Ms Graham, who took over from Len McCluskey in August, said in an interview with the newspaper that “there’s a lot of other money that we use from our political fund where, actually, I’m not sure we’re getting the best value for it”.

When she took on the role Ms Graham promised to “completely refocus” the union, and at the time said: “I will be a general secretary for the workers, for my members.”
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/polit ... ty-303574/
Thanked by: blythburgh